Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 5:30:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Fact.

The problem is that the member has to call.

My reserve unit was breifed on this two months ago. For the reserve types, a copy of your orders should be enough.

I deleted the email I got from our unit admin folks.....I'll see if I kept a copy.

Not all companies participate. Several housing lenders were on the list though.

Lew
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Look under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act. I only have specifics on mortgage loans not credit cards. On mortgages, the bank is forced to lower the rates paid by a deployed soldier or sailor. Each bank has it's own set of paperwork requirements that need to be fulfilled.
Best advice is to have the secretary's son, if possible, contact each of his lenders and see if they will lower the rate paid.YMMV
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The Soldier's and Sailor's Civil Relief Act only applies to debts incurred prior to active military service.  It does not apply to any debts incurred while on active duty.  See the link.

[url]http://www.vistafcu.org/html/sscra.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Question:
Any loan incurred after you report for active duty does not qualify for relief under the act
View Quote

Now does that mean any debt you incur after you are deployed..? or from the day you enter active service?
would the second option mean that if you bought a car while enlisted.. then get deployed over seas.. that the car purchase is not covered? ?

Does this just apply for "over seas" deployments..?
What about the NG folks that were called up to guard areas here in the states, and in the process left behind higher paying jobs..?

Thanks...

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
It means any time you are on active duty.  Where you are located has no bearing. Reservists and National Guard personnel are covered for debts they had prior to being called up for active duty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top