Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2012 2:58:52 AM EDT
After much searching and discussion in the blade forum I have come to GD for help. (I know I've sunk pretty low )

I've decided on an EDC no trouble there.

What I need help with is a knife to carry at formal events while wearing a suit. Not a Gentleman's knife can't find one of those I like.

It has to be dignified, good enough quality so that should it be needed it will perform and it will only be used once or twice a year and when carried nobody will probably see it.

Now due to logistics and legal restrictions I have narrowed it down to these 3 knives:

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Benchmade-Knives/Folders/Benchmade-Nagara/p-92-111-966-5052/

OR

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/Spyderco-Knives-Des-Horn/p-92-191-7300/

or

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Fontenille-Pataud-Knives/Fontenille-Pataud-Knives-Olive-Laguiole-10cm/p-92-336-6450/

Please just let me know if these knives are worth the money and good quality.

You can suggest alternatives but I probably can't get it or it's illegal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm all about old fashioned folders these days, So I voted #3.

I predict ARFCOM will pick Benchmade because it's familiar, and has tacticool creds (not to mention good quality). THat may or may not be what you're looking for, OP.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
with a suit? i would go with #3  it still says i can stab your ass......but with my pinky extended at the same time.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm all about old fashioned folders these days, So I voted #3.

I predict ARFCOM will pick Benchmade because it's familiar, and has tacticool creds (not to mention good quality). THat may or may not be what you're looking for, OP.

This is the kind of response I'm looking for as long as they are all good quality then my mind is at ease.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

with a suit? i would go with #3  it still says i can stab your ass......but with my pinky extended at the same time.

http://i50.tinypic.com/d5i6g.png

I thought that too. Though I doubt that there will be much need to stab people at a wedding.

ETA: Well I hope

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three.

I think the benchmade would be quicker to open due to the thumbstud, but all three should be quality pieces.

good luck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]
This is what I carry in my suit pocket daily:

The thing you want to remember is: LIGHT and SLIM.

at less than 2 ounces, and about a third of an inch thick, the Benchmade 530s is a great pocket knife that isn't too large.

I used to carry a Swiss Army Tinker- but this is MUCH smaller. Sharper, too.

I don't know the dimensions of the others, but this is something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a benchmade griptilian every day in dress clothes.  Very comfortable to carry with slacks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:31:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I carry a benchmade griptilian every day in dress clothes.  Very comfortable to carry with slacks.

Can't get a griptillian in a legal size over here or else that probably would be my EDC. Same goes for the 530.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't get a griptillian in a legal size over here or else that probably would be my EDC. Same goes for the 530.

I don't understand: What is the restriction? The blade length on the 530 is the same as the Nagara...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand: What is the restriction? The blade length on the 530 is the same as the Nagara...

No the 530 is unavailable here length is fine, the Griptillian range, while available, are all too big to carry legally.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No the 530 is unavailable here length is fine, the Griptillian range, while available, are all too big to carry legally.

ebay!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer to stick with this site, they have brilliant customer service and have always been good to me: http://www.heinnie.com/default.asp?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
#1 is simple and can be seen as elegant. I like it the most out of the 3.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait, you can't carry a Griptillian "legally" because it's too big?

What, exactly, are the requirements you're up against?  You're allowed to have it, but nobody can see it, which means you can't use it, which means... ?

If you want to be baller in a suit and the price doesn't dissuade you, then you need a Protech.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Good enough to get the job done and beautiful to boot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What, exactly, are the requirements you're up against?  You're allowed to have it, but nobody can see it, which means you can't use it, which means... ?
If you want to be baller in a suit and the price doesn't dissuade you, then you need a Protech.

http://www.protechknives.com/knives/media/knife-images/GF-906.jpg

You are allowed to own any knife any size and keep them at home without permit, but to carry one on your person would be crime unless: the blade is less than 3.25 inches, you use it for work (you would have to argue it in court still would be confiscated) or have a license (never been issued).

And I aint the baller type, though that is a nice knife. If I were to carry it a bit more and spend that kind of money I would propably go for a Chris Reeve or William Henry.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Get both...errrrr....all three!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#19]
The black Lagioule you had in one of your other 14 threads looked better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I've always thought that Spyderco's Tim Zowada is a perfect choice for formal events.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been liking Great Eastern Cutlery for old fashioned, retro pocket knives.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've always thought that Spyderco's Tim Zowada is a perfect choice for formal events.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/poco47/leftzbordered-1.jpg

That would be a contender but I see it's been discontinued. Looks similar to the Benchmade Emissary.

Going to go with the Nagara, and if I don't like it will pick up the Laguiole in Black.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#24]

While I appreciate them they are not something I would buy, they are out of character for me I'm a little more urban than the Great Outdoors Hunter.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like I'm a little late, but I'd say something with a stainless grip.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sounds like I'm a little late, but I'd say something with a stainless grip.

Just placed the order, but thanks anyway, nice 1911 Springfield TRP?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are allowed to own any knife any size and keep them at home without permit, but to carry one on your person would be crime unless: the blade is less than 3.25 inches, you use it for work (you would have to argue it in court still would be confiscated) or have a license (never been issued).

And I aint the baller type, though that is a nice knife. If I were to carry it a bit more and spend that kind of money I would propably go for a Chris Reeve or William Henry.

You might look at a Chris Reeve Mnandi.  Bottom knife in photo.
http://www.chrisreeve.com/mnandi.htm

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I was going to say a chris reeves would be nice or maybe a william henry. Of the three you listed the first is ok and the last is pretty nice and semi non threatening should it fall out. Although if that knife is like the ones I have with olive wood handles I hope you like the smell of olives because it will be present.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I carry a BM556 "mini griptillian," which is a 3" blade.  It's fantastic, though very much on the cheaper side of good knives.  For a suit, I prefer something nicer, and so I carry my Kulgera or my BM 42 (both of which are out based on blade length).

Since auto knives are GTG for you without restriction (or, at least, more restriction than any other blade), I'd personally lean that direction.  If not a Protech Godson (3.2" blade, just under $200 street price), then I'd go with one of the new-ish Benchmade/HK OTFs.  They're in the same price range, come in some nice anodized finishes, and while the blade measures 3.5" from the handle, the actual edge length is only 3.25".  So, depending upon how you measure, I guess...

But, really, I'd be careful with the law if I were you.  You need something elegant, but that won't make anyone nervous when you need to use it for something.  The Spyderco may or may not work for you.  Just doing some quick browsing, Lion Steel in Italy makes some nice-looking stuff (no experience whether the steel quality is good).  If that's not your style, and you're still price-conscious, I'd say Japan is the way to go.  Mcusta, Kanetsune, etc make some really nice stuff.  Here's a damascus folder for under $150:
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I was going to say a chris reeves would be nice or maybe a william henry. Of the three you listed the first is ok and the last is pretty nice and semi non threatening should it fall out. Although if that knife is like the ones I have with olive wood handles I hope you like the smell of olives because it will be present.

I'll keep that in mind, was going for the black buffalo horn instead.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might look at a Chris Reeve Mnandi.  Bottom knife in photo.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/mnandi.htm

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z459/lemmuhj/DSC04680.jpg

Was looking at Mnandi but it is a little expensive for something I would only use once or twice a year, like my dress watch.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I carry a BM556 "mini griptillian," which is a 3" blade.  It's fantastic, though very much on the cheaper side of good knives.  For a suit, I prefer something nicer, and so I carry my Kulgera or my BM 42 (both of which are out based on blade length).

Since auto knives are GTG for you without restriction (or, at least, more restriction than any other blade), I'd personally lean that direction.  If not a Protech Godson (3.2" blade, just under $200 street price), then I'd go with one of the new-ish Benchmade/HK OTFs.  They're in the same price range, come in some nice anodized finishes, and while the blade measures 3.5" from the handle, the actual edge length is only 3.25".  So, depending upon how you measure, I guess...

But, really, I'd be careful with the law if I were you.  You need something elegant, but that won't make anyone nervous when you need to use it for something.  The Spyderco may or may not work for you.  Just doing some quick browsing, Lion Steel in Italy makes some nice-looking stuff (no experience whether the steel quality is good).  If that's not your style, and you're still price-conscious, I'd say Japan is the way to go.  Mcusta, Kanetsune, etc make some really nice stuff.  Here's a damascus folder for under $150:

http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives/mcusta/mcusta_0077d.jpg

Auto is prohibited here so no go, ever. I should have been clear. I was told the Japanese Mcusta aren't true Damascus steel just made pretty hence the difference in price.

Lion steel do have nice stuff but like you said no experience with the steel.

I went with the Benchmade and will post pics when it arrives also got a Spyderco Delica for EDC.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top