Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2012 9:23:13 AM EDT
Someone gave my the full series for Christmas . Was just curious if it is worth watching. If not I wont open it and i will take it back.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Sooo no one has seen this series?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I screwed up it is not kill zone it is Generation Kill the 11 hour series.   tard
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Great series.....just ask SGM Sixta
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Serious or are you fucking me around? I want to open it now and start watching it if it is good.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I enjoyed it.  A lot of folks will say it's not realistic, but I was in Iraq in '03 (NOT with Recon), and I think it's about the most accurate portrayal of the Marine Corps out there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]
It is very good, watch them you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoyed the series and the book.

Keep in mind its shot from the perspective of the NCO and below. So the officers and SNCO's are often portrayed as stupid, reckless, ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool . Taking the wrapper off now. Thanks guys !!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Keep in mind its shot from the perspective of the NCO and below. So the officers and SNCO's are often portrayed as stupid, reckless, ignorant.

The last couple of episodes helped put everything into perspective.  I really liked that.

SPOILERS!

Especially the bits about why Godfather couldn't just take action against Encino Man and Capt America and why 1st Recon got sent all over the place.

The lack of proper support for optics still bugs me, though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Amerikee is watchin, ya bunch of Elvises.

Good series, alot of officer bashing though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Open it up. Enjoyable series.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sgt. Maj. John Sixta: You're inappropriatin' your chemical filtration device by attempting fornication with it! Jesus, do I have to tell you not to desecrate your mask with perversions?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoyed it.  A lot of folks will say it's not realistic, but I was in Iraq in '03 (NOT with Recon), and I think it's about the most accurate portrayal of the Marine Corps out there.

Same here. It seems really fucking accurate to me and I was also there in '03.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

SHAVE YOUR MOOOOSTACHE!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Captain America was stupid, reckless, and ignorant. And those types are not in short supply in the military.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#20]
SON OF A BITCH !!!!! I have been trying to get it to play in my sons Xbox. I cant get it to run the disk . He is the one that starts it for us when we are watching a movie.. I should pay attention I guess.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Good show, I really liked it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

SON OF A BITCH !!!!! I have been trying to get it to play in my sons Xbox. I cant get it to run the disk . He is the one that starts it for us when we are watching a movie.. I should pay attention I guess.

Regular dvd or blu ray?

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was also there in '03 and agree.  Not a lot of rewatchablity but good for a single viewing at least.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I liked what a friend of mine who is a former Marine said about Generation Kill, "It's the best film showing a Marine in their natural environment."

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Loved the series. I rank it right up there with Band of Brothers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I loved the series. I even when out and bought a copy of my own when it came out. I still watch it every few months and catch things I didnt see before.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Ya'll are looking like a bunch of cowboy Elvis's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Cpl Ray Pearsons (however you spell it) and Sgt Brad Colbert are my favorite characters.  Probably because they are on screen so much.  Awesome series.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cpl Ray Pearsons (however you spell it) and Sgt Brad Colbert are my favorite characters.  Probably because they are on screen so much.  Awesome series.

Keep the series, you just may watch it a few times!  I like Ray's philosophy on the war.

I have to get my set of DVD's back from a buddy when I'm out picking up Humrats, I'm Oscar Mike.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Your computer won't play dvds?

Yeah it will but I was in the room that has the big screen so I wanted it on in the back ground.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome, Epic, Great, Quotable, Funny as Fuck.

A big ol muthafukkin' Semper Fi to my gyrene buddies. THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#33]
You can send the series to me and I'll watch it while you fix that Moose Stache.  It done got some serious Violations.

EPIC fucking series.  Wish it was still on.

-SS
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wait..they arnt?....................

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Technically speaking Brad, didn't your parents disown you when they put you up for adoption?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Technically speaking Brad, didn't your parents disown you when they put you up for adoption?

Some great dialog between ray and iceman.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Love it when the driver that never shuts the fuck up is talking about why people joining the Marines, that and the sixta rants were beyond funny.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I enjoyed it. Bought the book too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Love it when the driver that never shuts the fuck up is talking about why people joining the Marines, that and the sixta rants were beyond funny.

"No more ripped-fuel, ray!"
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amerikee is watchin, ya bunch of Elvises.

Good series, alot of officer bashing though.

The Marines depicted in the show said as much during at least on interview that's on YouTube.  They thought it was kinda unfair and a Hollywood and-on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"now look at us, trombley hasn't gotten to kill anybody, I'm half a world away from good thai pussy and colburn is over here in fuckbutt iraq hunting for dragons in a mopp suit that smells like 4 days of ass and ballsweat. you should have rolled into battle with a sword brad, that would have been fucking rad"
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't expect a lot of action or epic battles. The junior Marine is portrayed very well. They bitch and complain constantly (among themselves). Insult each other mercilessly, never know what the fuck is going on, blame everything on their Staff NCO's and Officers, think everyone except the Marines in their squad/fire team are pogues or have it easier/better than they do.  They goof on all moto bullshit, and express a fair amount of contempt for the Marine Corps.
They are nothing like the shining, patriotic heroes that GD prefers to portray them as. Not to say that they are not often heroic, but they are often angry discontented young men and reluctant heroes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don't expect a lot of action or epic battles. The junior Marine is portrayed very well. They bitch and complain constantly (among themselves). Insult each other mercilessly, never know what the fuck is going on, blame everything on their Staff NCO's and Officers, think everyone except the Marines in their squad/fire team are pogues or have it easier/better than they do.  They goof on all moto bullshit, and express a fair amount of contempt for the Marine Corps.
They are nothing like the shining, patriotic heroes that GD prefers to portray them as. Not to say that they are not often heroic, but they are often angry discontented young men and reluctant heroes.

I would think that since war sucks this part in red would be true for most in the service during wartime.

My BIL is a B1-B pilot and was also a JTAC.  Stand up fella and he felt this way at times.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"now look at us, trombley hasn't gotten to kill anybody, I'm half a world away from good thai pussy and colburn is over here in fuckbutt iraq hunting for dragons in a mopp suit that smells like 4 days of ass and ballsweat. you should have rolled into battle with a sword brad, that would have been fucking rad"

Brad is a cool motherfucker. Its too bad they picked a bisexual vampire to portay him.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brad is a cool motherfucker. Its too bad they picked a bisexual vampire to portay him.

What?  Brads a homo?  Mother fucker.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Love it when the driver that never shuts the !@#$%^&* up is talking about why people joining the Marines, that and the sixta rants were beyond funny.

"now look at us, trombley hasn't gotten to kill anybody, I'm half a world away from good thai !@#$%^&* and colburn is over here in fuckbutt iraq hunting for dragons in a mopp suit that smells like 4 days of !@#$%^&* and ballsweat. you should have rolled into battle with a sword brad, that would have been fucking rad"

Brad is a cool !@#$%^&*. Its too bad they picked a bisexual vampire to portay him.

What?  Brads a homo?  Mother !@#$%^&*.

Supposedly the actor was in some sort of HSLD Swedish .mil unit when he was younger.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Probably my favorite out of the three HBO war series.  Inordinately entertaining, extremely quotable and endlessly rewatchable.

"Jesus Christ, Rudy.  When are you going to realize that you're fucking gay?  You wanna live where you wear Banana Republic and Daisy Duke shorts, now you're going into battle in a chicken suit and J-Lo sunglasses.  You dress like a pimp queen."

"I don't dress like no goddamn pimp queen...I wear clothes that are body conscious."
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I actually have a good friend that was there with 1st Recon Bn, and knew all the fellers in the book.  SSgt. C's first-hand experience with the events as depicted are a little different from how Evan Wright portrayed it.  He was a Sgt when I met him, so I imagine he was a Lance Criminal or Cpl when he was there.

The only thing in the book (mentioned only briefly) that I agreed with from my own personal experience was that "D" Co. 4th Recon Bn (which I was a part of back in the mid '80s) was a bad joke.  The concept of recon units in the reserve component are questionable at best, IMHO.

Anyway, I've read the responses from the officers that were there and their side of the story tends to confirm my belief that articles written for Rolling Stone magazine about anything related to the military will lack accuracy and context.

Other than that, the book was "entertaining".  The series from HBO will naturally be a product of the content of the book.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Probably my favorite out of the three HBO war series.  Inordinately entertaining, extremely quotable and endlessly rewatchable.

"Jesus Christ, Rudy.  When are you going to realize that you're fucking gay?  You wanna live where you wear Banana Republic and Daisy Duke shorts, now you're going into battle in a chicken suit and J-Lo sunglasses.  You dress like a pimp queen."

"I don't dress like no goddamn pimp queen...I wear clothes that are body conscious."

My co-worker that was with Rudy told me he was the most positive Marine he ever met.  He had nothing but good things to say about him.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My co-worker that was with Rudy told me he was the most positive Marine he ever met.  He had nothing but good things to say about him.

Im glad yes a good marine, because he was a crappy actor.

cause a nut bustin haji is happy haji!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top