Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 2:09:27 PM EDT
Just curious if anybody else here is into flight simms?  I've got 'em all pretty much, but Falcon4.0 with the Superpak 3 mod is out of this world and as close as you can get to flying the real thing from a pc.  I was hopeing to find someone who wouldn't mind flying co-op missions with voice comms...never done it before, but its gotta be neat.

any takers?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a BIG flight sim freak. Flight sim's are the main reason I got into PC's in the first place :).
Of late I havent had allot of time to fly (three kids will do that to ya) but when I am flying its usually "Fighter Ace III"online,multi-player WW2 flight combat action at its finest.
Are their on-line servers for Falcon 4.0 making [b]HUGE[/b] multi-player furballs possible, or is it just 2 player modem-to-modem type connections?
Flyin fool,
echo6

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure how the Super Pak modified online play but i believe that it provides the ability for large numbers to play...I have the manual...I can check it out and get back to you if you're interested.

I just bought an old Thrustmaster FLCS, TQS and rudder control system on ebay!  I haven't had the time to try to set it up, but it will be pretty cool if i can get it to work!

I'd also be interested in playing a little IL-2 online, as well, if you are more into WWII flight simms...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Scipio, FAIII is a free download from [url]http://fighterace.vr1.com/[/url]
You can play off-line as much as you want free, to play on-line you have to subscribe
I conceder it 9.95 a month well spent[:D].

Flying with voice comms [b]is[/b] great.
3 or 4 people with a coordinated attack using voice can very quickly eliminate an enemy airfield from play[:D]
Roger wilco(100% free) can be downloaded at [url]http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/[/url]
RW usually takes a little tweeking to get it working right, but IMO its well worth it.
echo6
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
echo6... I use wilco, msn voice and team speak on a regular basis, but so far only on first person shooters...

Do you have aol im, msn chat or icq?

email me your screen name if you'd like and maybe we can put something together... [email protected]

I'm pretty busy these days too...I'm studying for the Bar Exam, but there is always time for a little virtual mud-pushing...

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember the day it came out (December 14th, 1998).  I picked it up immediately and began playing it for about 5 months.  Most likely the best flight sim (EVER), even better than Falcon 3.0.  However, the bugs made it IMPOSSIBLE to achieve mission goals-END Of Object Attempt-
ives, even if you hit 100% of your targets.  After awhile, I got pissed and put it away.  I haven't touched it since summer '99.  I've seen combatsim and other sights list the latest patches, but now I don't have the time (two daughters, 2.5yrs and 5 months).  Maybe someday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a company that last fall purchased the rights to the Falcon line of sims and is now working in building Falcon 5.0.  Pete Bonanni, who is the original consultant, and Keith Rosenkranz are the two fighter jocks working with the progammers.  The theater of combat is going to be with China involving Taiwan.  Check out the company G2 Interactive.  They are the ones building it.

Later
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
SJSAMPLE

The same thing happened with me on Falcon 4.0...

Then, not too long ago, I was surfing the net and I came across this...

http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/

These guys have revolutionized the game and turned it into a new product.  I strongly recommend that you check it out.  It is a completely different beast...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My comp is too slow for F4, but I'm plenty happy with Tornado (the [b]ultimate[/b] mud-mover), Su27 Flanker, F3, and X-Wing. I got into Back to Baghdad for a while, but don't like the solo mission profile. I also think the padlock view [b]sucks[/b] compared to F3's. Admittedly, Falcon 3.0 is a hard sim to match, let alone beat - the graphics may be very outdated and there are some crazy bugs (killer MiG19s and 1000-knot choppers) but as far as gameplay and continuity are concerned I still don't think anything's topped it.

Let's hope the F5 series finishes the "Electronic Battlefield" and gives us a realistic A10 sim!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Flanker 2.5 and that also seems to be comparable to Falcon 4.0 SP3 in regard to realism.  I haven't had the time to sit down and learn how to fly the Russian bird yet...

I also downloaded Tornado from an abandonware site but havent installed that one yet either.  I have heard fabulous things about it though despite its age.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
In a word, Tornado is fantastic. There's nothing like streaking over a runway at 600KIAS and opening up a can of JP.233 whoopass! Or for a different kind of thrill, take out a row of hardened aircraft shelters in a LGB attack from 25K feet - with the proper timing you can do them all in 1 pass. The terrain-following radar is pretty incredible, and the autopilot will just about fly you over the target (you still have to drop weapons and avoid threats) - it's very realistic.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SJSAMPLE

The same thing happened with me on Falcon 4.0...

Then, not too long ago, I was surfing the net and I came across this...

http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/

These guys have revolutionized the game and turned it into a new product.  I strongly recommend that you check it out.  It is a completely different beast...
View Quote

I heard of their mods and patches and went to their site.  Very impressive.  They've managed to keep F4 alive longer than Hasbro/SH even meant to.  Great job they did.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In a word, Tornado is fantastic. There's nothing like streaking over a runway at 600KIAS and opening up a can of JP.233 whoopass! Or for a different kind of thrill, take out a row of hardened aircraft shelters in a LGB attack from 25K feet - with the proper timing you can do them all in 1 pass. The terrain-following radar is pretty incredible, and the autopilot will just about fly you over the target (you still have to drop weapons and avoid threats) - it's very realistic.
View Quote

Tornado ROCKED!  It was a stop-gap measure in-between Falcon 3 and Falcon 4.0.  I really liked the bomb's eye view and the fact that you could watch other aircraft zooming all over, doing their own thing.  It was a great engine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried hooking up my HOTAS system, but it crashed my computer...I dont think my sys likes all the old serial connections...grrrrrr...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't played Falcon in a while, would like to get back into it. Need to kick my wife off the fast pute, first, though...

Nick
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
commando_guy...

let me know if you get it up and running...maybe we can try some co-op
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top