Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/30/2011 3:12:09 AM EDT
Just saw on Fox and ABC that a Russian Nuclear Sub has been burning out of control most of the night with 3 men still trapped inside. Officials are deciding on wether or not to flood the sub to put out the fire.

ETA.
Don't know if this is a dupe.
Search didn't find any match on submarine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Poor bastards stuck in that thing. I'd hate to go out that way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You couldn't pay me enough money to serve on a submarine, iron coffins.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing on CNN, MSNBC.

On Foxnews

Russian Officials Say Some Crew Still Trapped in Burning Nuclear Sub
MOSCOW –  Some of the crew of a burning Russian nuclear submarine were still inside and seven others had been evacuated to hospitals after inhaling toxic fumes, officials said Friday.

The Defense Ministry said there has been no radiation leak from the fire, which began Thursday at an Arctic shipyard where the submarine Yekaterinburg was in drydock. Fire brigades are still struggling to put out the fire.

The military says the fire began on wooden scaffolding and then engulfed the submarine's rubber-coated outer hull. It said the sub's nuclear reactor had been shut down and its nuclear-tipped missiles and other weapons had been unloaded before the repairs.

More here

Fox
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
nvm, didn't read article.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
"You've lost ANOTHER submarine?"
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
An unspecified number of crew have remained inside the submarine, Defense Ministry spokesman Col. Igor Konashenkov said in a statement. He said they have reported that the condition on board has remained normal and insisted there was no danger of fire spreading inside the submarine.

Hopefully true.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lol I just lost it when I read that hahaha
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What would the USN do?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Any news of a sailor that loses his life is a tragic moment for anyone that's been haze grey and underway. God help them. RIP

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:09:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

During WWII, only about 25% of the men who served on German U-boats made it home alive at the end of the war.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:13:31 AM EDT
[#12]
You mean you've lost another one Vladimir?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here.  My dad served on subs back in the early 70's and I don't know how.  I've been on a dry docked one and that was too damn cramped for my tastes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hunt For A Red Fire Extingisher.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:20:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I've toured the West Virginia and no way I could serve in that.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:21:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not on a Russian Sub. They dont have a great track record.. US subs seem to be a bit safer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:26:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not on a Russian Sub. They dont have a great track record.. US subs seem to be a bit safer.

Yeah, but who would be a better capeetan....

Sean Connery or Harrison Ford?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:26:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Ivan seems to have a horrible track record with thier Nuke subs, and anything involving fissile materials for that matter.

I understand the "suffer for your country" mentality the Ruskies have, but damn...
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but who would be a better capeetan....

Sean Connery or Harrison Ford?

since neither of them are russian and played russians i will have to go with Kelsey Grammer with Lauren Holly as my first officer .

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:36:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw a video on TV showing the fire equipment sending water over a building to put out the fire. They are well keeping their distance on this one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to think they're just teaching the Iranians some abandon ship drills.  Sadly, that's probably not the case.  

They are not our enemies right now.  And even if they were I'd pray for the men trapped aboard.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Reported as a Delta IV

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Huge SOB
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Jesus...
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've toured the West Virginia and no way I could serve in that.....

Very spacious compared a fast attack boat.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#27]
If the rubber skin on the hull is burning, why don't they just submerge and put the fire out.  Duh?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If the rubber skin on the hull is burning, why don't they just submerge and put the fire out.  Duh?

In drydock?

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing on CNN, MSNBC.

On Foxnews

MOSCOW –  Some of the crew of a burning Russian nuclear submarine were still inside and seven others had been evacuated to hospitals after inhaling toxic fumes, officials said Friday.

The Defense Ministry said there has been no radiation leak from the fire, which began Thursday at an Arctic shipyard where the submarine Yekaterinburg was in drydock. Fire brigades are still struggling to put out the fire.

The military says the fire began on wooden scaffolding and then engulfed the submarine's rubber-coated outer hull. It said the sub's nuclear reactor had been shut down and its nuclear-tipped missiles and other weapons had been unloaded before the repairs.

More here

Fox

So to translate basically the entire crew is still trapped on the ship, the reactor has been spewing massive amounts of radiation into the air, fire crews are standing around watching it burn, and finally the compliment of nuclear missiles are still onboard and might detonate.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In drydock?

Hey, drydocks submerge.  How do you think they get the boat in one in the first place?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm sure it's just an accidental error but Delta IV's have two reactors.

Another source.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:33:56 AM EDT
[#32]
My shocked face.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Some were puzzled when the spokesman for the Russian Navy gave his briefing wear a Nuke Protection suit, then refused to take questions. A couple of reporters began clearly alarmed when the spokesman ran to an idling car and raced away while the rest of the idiots were trying to shout questions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunt For A Red Fire Extingisher.

Well played.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing on CNN, MSNBC.

On Foxnews

More here

Fox

So to translate basically the entire crew is still trapped on the ship, the reactor has been spewing massive amounts of radiation into the air, fire crews are standing around watching it burn, and finally the compliment of nuclear missiles are still onboard and might detonate.

OK.

Like all communist countries during a disaster like this.

Keep the body count low in the press.

Report only about the courage of those involved.

Distract attention from the truth.

Blame somebody else for the accident.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Russian authorities report that the fire has been put out. No deaths apparently, nine crewmembers hospitalized after inhaling fumes.

Picture of the fire from Thursday:

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Russia: Fire on Nuclear Submarine Finally Extinguished

link
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Always sad to hear these stories.  What is it about Russian subs that make them so unsafe?  The design or maintenance?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Super heated metal cooled rapidly by nice cold water...............if it ever goes to sea again I wouldn't want to be on board for a depth test dive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Reported as a Delta IV
http://www.submarines.zx6.ru/pics/subs/ussr/deltaIV/400_D-IV.jpg
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/slbm/pl667bdrm7.jpg
http://www.physics.irfu.se/~jb/images/delta-4.jpg

That's a big sucker
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Before:

After:
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Especially a Russian sub.

But they are in no way our friends I say we cheer for total hull loss

ETA: A boomer. we should be over there with lighter fluid.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Super heated metal cooled rapidly by nice cold water...............if it ever goes to sea again I wouldn't want to be on board for a depth test dive.

No shit... I wonder if the hull got that hot, though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Can a fire even make an unarmed nuke go critical?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Russian authorities report that the fire has been put out. No deaths apparently, nine crewmembers hospitalized after inhaling fumes.

Picture of the fire from Thursday:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k566/u01ohb5/1305552340176.jpg

Do they have a regular ship inside that dry dock with the sub? Sure looks like it from that angle. Must be a pretty big dry dock. Anyone have information on the dry docks they use there?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got this book, and it's fascinating story of disaster piling on top of disaster - fire, poisonous smoke, flooding, rocket fuel dissolving hatch seals, radioactive contamination and deaths, and capped off by typical Soviet charges of treason and sabotage against the surviving crewmen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-219

The incident

On 3 October 1986, while on patrol 680 miles (1,090 km) northeast of Bermuda, K-219
suffered an explosion and fire in a missile tube. The seal in a missile
hatch cover failed, allowing seawater to leak into the missile tube and
react with residue from the missile's liquid fuel. The Soviet Navy
claimed that the leak was caused by a collision with the submarine USS Augusta. Augusta was certainly operating in proximity, but the United States Navy denies any collision. K-219
had previously experienced a similar casualty; one of her missile tubes
was already disabled and welded shut, having been permanently sealed
after an explosion caused by reaction between seawater leaking into the
silo and missile fuel residue.

Location of the incident

The authors of the book Hostile Waters
reconstructed the incident from descriptions by the survivors, ships'
logs, the official investigations, and participants both ashore and
afloat from the Soviet and the American sides. Shortly after 0530 Moscow time, seawater leaking into silo six of K-219 reacted with missile fuel, producing nitric acid.
K-219 weapons officer Alexander Petrachkov attempted to cope with this
by disengaging the hatch cover and venting the missile tube to the sea. Shortly after 0532, an explosion occurred in silo six. The remains of the RSM-25 rocket and its two warheads were ejected from silo six into the sea.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing on CNN, MSNBC.

On Foxnews

More here

Fox

OK.

Like all communist countries during a disaster like this.

Keep the body count low in the press.

Report only about the courage of those involved.

Distract attention from the truth.

Blame somebody else for the accident.

Exactly,  I am waiting for them to blame it on a collision with a CIA submarine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#50]
What an ugly boat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top