Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2011 8:05:53 PM EDT
Killer Elite.

DeNiro (looking and acting not so good), Jason Statham and Clive Owen in a "based on a true story" about a small clan of mercs who hunt former SAS for their misdeeds in Oman. Part Ronin, Part Heat, Part Munich...all bad ass. One of the best fight scenes I've seen in a while between Statham and Owen. Didn't know who was going to win until the last second, nothing cheesy either. A friggin'  bullet festival, with authentic cheesy late 70s radios and surveillance gear.

Hanna.

Eric Bana, some frail little waif chick, and Cate Blanchett, another euro thriller about a CIA creation gone awry. Better than most crap I've seen lately.

The Bang Bang Club.

Ryan Phillipe and some other dudes as South African photojournalists trying to get their "money shot"...this was back when newspapers and magazines ruled the world. Takes place in the former RSA before they flushed the place down the crapper. Not too much white guilt indoctrination either.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You know Killer Elite is a remake just like The Mechanic, right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know that, but I like both versions of The Mechanic. Not love...but like.

ETA, this apparently isn't true, because the 2011 Killer Elite is based on a 1991 book called The Feather Men. So unless Sam Pekinpah time- travelled to Oman, it ain't the same story.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I enoyed Killer elite as well, it was one of the better action movies I have seen in the last few years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Those movies were just okay.

The adjustment bureau

the next three days

insidious

unknown

limitless

fast five

were my favorites of this year

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I didn't know that, but I like both versions of The Mechanic. Not love...but like.

James Cann and Robert Duvall were in the original KE movie 1975.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
That's awesome, because except for "the next three days" I saw all the rest of those and was completely unimpressed.

Adjustment Bureau in particular was a 2 hour Twilight Zone rip...without the talented writing. Horrible POS.

Limitless was better than that, but meh...
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought The Mechanic (2011) was a remake of Charles Bronson's The Mechanic from 1972.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA, this apparently isn't true, because the 2011 Killer Elite is based on a 1991 book called The Feather Men. So unless Sam Pekinpah time- travelled to Oman, it ain't the same story.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought The Mechanic (2011) was a remake of Charles Bronson's The Mechanic from 1972.

It is.  KE is a remake of KE.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
No...it's not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Feather_Men

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_Elite_(film)

Killer Elite is a 2011 action film starring Jason Statham, Clive Owen, Robert De Niro, Yvonne Strahovski, and Dominic Purcell. The film is based on the 1991 novel The Feather Men by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, and is directed by Gary McKendry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Elite

The screenplay was written by Marc Norman and Stirling Silliphant adapted from the Robert Syd Hopkins novel, Monkey in the Middle. The novel was written under Hopkins' pseudonym of Robert Rostand.

Two completely different stories with a similar name.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.  KE is a remake of KE.

Sorry, my reading comprehension is almost non-existent today. For some reason I read your first post as, "You know Killer Elite is a remake of the The Mechanic, right?".
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Columbiana was good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
"The Next Three Days" is good you folks say? I've had that sitting here for months w/o watching it...
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Kill the Irishman

X-Men First Class

The naval scenes were lame, otherwise a good movie, I was impressed at the quality.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"The Next Three Days" is good you folks say? I've had that sitting here for months w/o watching it...

I liked it.  A little bit predictable, but overall a good use of 2 hours.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Courageous was a little cheesy and definitely low-budget but it was pretty dang good.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the Swedish version) was pretty damn good, fucking trippy, but good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I also recommend The Next Three Days for those who have not seen it.

The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo was pretty good as well.

The Darkest Hour was not bad for low budget sci fi

Columbiana was also pretty decent and worth seeing for Zoe Saldana alone.

I did not care so much for The Killer Elite however.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Melancholia was pretty entertaining, and respects the intelligence of the viewer by demanding they pay attention and not spoon feeding them the plot. Kind of a mind fuck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Watched The Losers, and loved it.

Watched flypaper last night, should've been a stage play but still pretty good, very Agatha Christie, like a game of Clue but much funnier.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Kill the Irishman

Good one.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Fixed.

I didn't know that it was a movie about The Feather Men.  I read that book.  Good book.  Netflix has The Feather Men on DVD but i'm on the waiting list for it until they can get a copy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top