Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/29/2011 2:14:15 PM EDT
My local PD is talking about how they are doing this for this weekend. How much longer will this be legal?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as police states are cool.

ETA: As awesome as all you texas guys say texas is, why is it happening there?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

so your sayin there is a chance?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so your sayin there is a chance?

I think so.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
We're two steps away from Egypt's forced virginity tests.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Im afraid your right
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
probably as long as there's drunk drivers
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I can be ordered to do it by FHP.  Haven't been yet but I have been told to comply and use their blood tubes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
They do it all the time in Austin.

It's one of Chief Art Avocado's favorite initiatives.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
probably as long as there's drunk drivers

do you agree with it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Just tell them to be extra careful cause you have infectious AIDS and would hate for them to get it. That might make them think twice?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just tell them to be extra careful cause you have infectious AIDS and would hate for them to get it. That might make them think twice?

Nice !!!  lol
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
This again
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
In Tucson, the police are certified Phlebotomists and draw blood on the spot, on the side of the road, after failed SFSTs and failed portable Breathalyzer.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not legal without a warrant here in NJ  
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not legal without a warrant here in NJ  

They are getting warrants here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In Tucson, the police are certified Phlebotomists and draw blood on the spot, on the side of the road, after failed SFSTs and failed portable Breathalyzer.

PCSO are too. In fact to get a drivers license in AZ requires implied consent to such tests.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They do it all the time in Austin.

It's one of Chief Art Avocado's favorite initiatives.

It's every day of the year here in San Antonio now thanks to the DA.  Recent news story claims there has been a significant decline in DWI arrests since they started it.  But it seems the number of news stories of people DWI getting into wrecks and/or going the wrong way on the highway hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
So is your blood considered  evidence...
Is your blood alcohol content  a statement to be used against you?
So no pleading the fifth? And refusing the removal of blood from your body. .?

It's not exactly a finger print or a breath test or even urine..you know, things that the body expels or outwardly displays
Curious....
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
As long as "WE the People" allow this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you would pass.

BURN!

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
So...what happens when they run across a (eta: stone-cold sober) Trypanophobic and they end up with a dead or seriously injured cop or a dead suspect on their hands.

Or do Trypanophobics not have driving privileges anymore...could it be a multi-million dollar ADA lawsuit waiting to happen?

Not supporting DUI's or bashing cops.

Just asking...so keep your flames to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is the answer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So...what happens when they run across a (eta: stone-cold sober) Trypanophobic and they end up with a dead or seriously injured cop or a dead suspect on their hands.

Or do Trypanophobics not have driving privileges anymore...could it be a multi-million dollar ADA lawsuit waiting to happen?

good point
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Does Bama support the concept?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't drink and drive..  

Forced draws aren't legal here in OH though unless you're unconscious or incapable refusal then it's implied consent.  If you can say no, they can't stick ya.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/1310-the-chair5.jpg

Answers like that cause municipalities, counties, and states to have to raise sales taxes for 17 years (ahem..Delaware County, Jay, OK) to have to raise sales taxes for 17 years to pay off $13 million judgements...

The condition was officially recognized in 1994 in the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 4th edition) as a specific phobia of blood/injection/injury type. Phobic level responses to injections cause sufferers to avoid inoculations, blood tests, and in the more severe cases, all medical care.

It is estimated that at least 10% of American adults are trypanophobic, and it is likely that the actual number is larger, as the most severe cases are never documented due to the tendency of the sufferer to simply avoid all medical treatment.[2]

Symptoms of this form of trypanophobia include combativeness, high heart rate coupled with extremely high blood pressure, violent and dangerous resistance, avoidance and flight.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably as long as they have that pesky 4th amendment in the Constitution that allows it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Read Florida's Implied Consent law and then think about if you really want to drive drunk in that state. Any MVA with injuries can result in a mandatory blood draw.

Quite often the blood is drawn at the hospital and the injured suspect doesn't know if its being drawn for the nurses/doctor's use or the cops.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/1310-the-chair5.jpg

Wrong answer...

The condition was officially recognized in 1994 in the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 4th edition) as a specific phobia of blood/injection/injury type. Phobic level responses to injections cause sufferers to avoid inoculations, blood tests, and in the more severe cases, all medical care.

It is estimated that at least 10% of American adults are trypanophobic, and it is likely that the actual number is larger, as the most severe cases are never documented due to the tendency of the sufferer to simply avoid all medical treatment.[2]

Symptoms of this form of trypanophobia include combativeness, high heart rate coupled with extremely high blood pressure, violent and dangerous resistance, avoidance and flight.

I bet the blood still gets drawn.

I bet you're right. And I also see HUGE attorney fees and judgements in the near future. It's lawsuits waiting to happen. Not if...just when and where?

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Out here in California a refusal to submit breath = forced blood draw...Drivers agree to it when they get a license. Driving is a privilege not a right.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck that. I dont drink but they will have to take it by force if they want it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#36]
No flames to any LEO's on board here.

In fact, ask just about ANY leo what they fear most...and you'll get more than one reply "A drug ANY crazed lunatic that can't be stopped with a normal sidearm."

No one wants to face a berserker, especially not a cop. The numbers are against this one all the way. Sooner or later some poor cop is going to encounter someone who will kill them without hesitation (or control) over something as silly as this, even if it means losing their own life in the process.

I never saw a LEO get up out of his casket because they got the suspect too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Out here in California a refusal to submit breath = forced blood draw...Drivers agree to it when they get a license. Driving is a privilege not a right.

This, I don't see forced blood draws going away anytime soon.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Start voting these progressive D bags out of office

Edit: I hate drunk drivers, but we should never give up our rights. Because they will never give them back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not arguing with you, but we just made the full circle back to the Americans with Disabilities Act = $$$BIG$$$ taxpayer funded judgements.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#41]
We need to ban Alcohol it worked for drugs it can work for alcohol too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you're right. And I also see HUGE attorney fees and judgements in the near future. It's lawsuits waiting to happen. Not if...just when and where?

Oh, my the dreaded lawsuit. LEA's never see those.

No flame, brother Bama, but Delaware County just voted to raise their county sales tax 1% for the next 17 years just because of a $13million verdict against their sheriff's office. This includes almost all of Grand Lake (serious resort area) and hundreds of retail businesses are going to lose millions of dollars of resort (and TAX) income because people will take other vacation resort options to other nearby lakes (out of Delaware County) rather than pay more sales taxes. I foresee businesses like Grand Lake Marina going completely tits-up because of lost big ticket purchases.

All because of the stupidity of just a couple of deputies who were fired. Not even the whole department
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#44]
DUI is not about keeping drunks of the road, it is about revenue!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:53:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bet you fit right in out there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

good point

Non-point. A blood draw is not to determine if they are DUI, it is to collect evidence once the arrest is being made. Field sobriety tests are how they determine if you are to be arrested for DUI. If you are "stone cold sober" you should not get to the blood draw point unless you have some very unique medical conditions that cause you to fail multiple FSTs. It's not like they pull you over and say "I saw you swerve, roll up your sleeves so we can draw some blood!"
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Start voting these progressive D bags out of office

I can guarantee you there are just as many R's behind it as D's.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not arguing with you, but we just made the full circle back to the Americans with Disabilities Act = $$$BIG$$$ taxpayer funded judgements.

Been doing it here for over 10 years, that ADA dog won't hunt.  I've been sued on several as a supervisor and prevailed in every one.  We don't have to kick your ass to take the blood.  I've worked jails and patrol for over 25 years and I estimate I've witnessed or participated in somewhere around a minimum of 300 forced blood draws.  I can't recall a single one that resulted in the arrestee getting injured.

We can't take it if the manner we drew it "shocked the conscience of the court".  If I think I have to injure you to draw it, I won't.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As long as police states are coolAs long as irresponsible drunks kill innocent people on the roads.

FIFY
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top