Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 12:02:02 PM EDT
I am planning to plant a new area of lawn and was wondering if rabbit droppings disced into the dirt prior to planting would make a good fertilizer?
We have 6 rabbits that make quite a pile every week. Rather than haul it away I thought this might be a good use for it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't see why not. It is very high nitrogen stuff, just smell it. Be careful you don't over fertilize.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC there's a good bit of ammonia in that too.  That will effect the pH of the soil, so you may need to add a bit of lime or potash along with.  Make sure the fertilizer/soil ratio is MUCH in favor of the soil (5 lb. rabbit poop/lime mix per 1000 sq. feet and tilled in).  

These numbers are approximate and someone else may have more accurate figures.  Take 'em with a 'grain of salt'...

Don't add fuel oil...  j/k
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Over fertilizing is what I was afraid of doing.
sounds like I better just stick with the cows.
No fuel oil? That takes all the fun out of my next questin.[:)]
Thank y'all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
As a golf course superintendent, turf is my life.  Never use manure that has not been completely broken down throuh composting as a turf fertilizer.  Take the rabbit manure and use it start a compost pile and add to it equal parts of carbon based materials like leaves and nitrogenous waste like grass clippings as well as  houshold food waste exceting meat products.
 Turn the pile at least once a week and you'll have a beautiful pile of "black gold" in a month or two.  As for the lawn, get the area totally vegetation free either through rototilling or at least spraying with roundup and then rake it out to prepare the seed bed and remove any stones and debris.  If your soil is acidic then add some granular lime at the rate of 50 lbs. per 1000 square feet and then broadcast a  commercial starter fertilizer(high middle number on the bag ie:5-10-5,  16-36-16 etc.  the middle number is phosphorous which helps root development)and then you are ready to seed.  Be generous with the seed and be sure to keep it moist untill it had germinated.  You may have to lightly water it several times a day to achieve this and then dont let it wilt once it has germinated.  When it reaches 4" start mowing it.   Good luck and if you want more info.  shoot me an e mail!!
I just realized you are in AZ so your soil is probably not acidic but check with your local exstention agent or better yet have a soil test dont prior to starting.  I test most of the golf course here every year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top