Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 11:11:04 AM EDT
This is a OUTRAGE!

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&ncid=716&e=1&u=/ap/20020624/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_death_penalty_11[/url]

If only the jury that convicted them can sentance them to death there is no way anyone convicted since 1990 in Arizona- some 129 people in all- can now be put to death. How on earth would you be able to redo the sentancing? You would have to try them all over again.

What makes this all the more galling is that the Supreme Court told Arizona in 1990 that how we were doing things was OK. Now they do THIS shit.

There are going to be a lot of pissed off victims families here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Now,now, you need to calm down...

Bush is President, everything will be alright.

Or...

IT LOOKS,    

IT SMELLS,

IT TASTES,

LIKE...

[size=6]BUSINESS AS USUAL[/size=6]

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#2]
how is this an outrage? so it's a bad thing that a jury has to sentence a guilty person to death?  

some folks around here confuse me...there have been several threads about how liberal judges are taking power from the jury and disallowing jury nullification.  there are all sorts of gripes when proactive judges legislate from the bench.  this ruling seems a step in the right direction.  i fail to see how this is bad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now,now, you need to calm down...

Bush is President, everything will be alright.

Or...

IT LOOKS,    

IT SMELLS,

IT TASTES,

LIKE...

[size=6]BUSINESS AS USUAL[/size=6]

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]

View Quote

You MORON do you have any idea how this government works?

What the HELL does Bush have to do with this HE didn't appoint any of the 7 Assholes who voted for this..
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
how is this an outrage? so it's a bad thing that a jury has to sentence a guilty person to death?  

some folks around here confuse me...there have been several threads about how liberal judges are taking power from the jury and disallowing jury nullification.  there are all sorts of gripes when proactive judges legislate from the bench.  this ruling seems a step in the right direction.  i fail to see how this is bad.
View Quote

If it was so good why didn't they say so in 1990?

Now 129 fuckin killers are going to be alive to torment the families of their victims. I really now HOPE that YOU have to go through that hell someday.

The problem isn't who decides on the death sentance the problem is they are letting criminals escape whats coming to them and making the death penalty a bigger joke than it already is...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Armdlbrl

Confused here. Are you pissed that SCOTUS seemed to double take this or that they are putting the death penalty back with juries?

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Armdlbrl

Confused here. Are you pissed that SCOTUS seemed to double take this or that they are putting the death penalty back with juries?

-legrue
View Quote

I am pissed that they let us convict 129 murderers thinking we were doing everything right and now they are reversing themselves and saying we can kill them.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me clarify my position. Am I glad that these folks on death row are going get out of being executed...No.  Am I glad that SCOTUS finally made the right decision...Yes.  

I can only hope that these folks who were to be put to death have their sentences re-affirmed by a jury.  

I don't argue with the use of the death penalty.  I just don't believe that a judge has the right to make that decision.  Again I wish that the victims families could be spared, but it was wrong for this to go on like this (judges having this much authority).  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You MORON do you have any idea how this government works?

What the HELL does Bush have to do with this HE didn't appoint any of the 7 Assholes who voted for this..
View Quote

Well, "Distinguished Sir"(special prize if you can deduce what the initials "DS" also stand for...), all I have heard from everyone is how "great" Bush is and "lucky" we are to have him as President.

But since Reading Comprehension for you is:

A)More hard to pronouce and hard to understand words you didn't bother to learn the meaning of.

B)Impossible to accomplish since you are blind as a bat.

C)Too hard, so you fling insults at people you have never met.

I will point out my statement was meant to point out nothing has changed, and I have no reasonable expectation it will regardless of what Bush does or doesn't do.

Am I going too fast for you?

[img]http://rockbottomdlux.freewebspace.com/smilies/Chair.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#9]
No Platform, its just that your logic makes no sense. How is Bush responsible for this ruling by the SCOTUS? I know the big media would have you believe that they are all in his back pocket due to the election, but its not true. If you think i'm wrong, then explain how Bush is responsible for this. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but cast blame where its due.

Now what i think the state of AZ can do is to call a new jury just for the punishment phase. They don't need to find the origianl juries. If the new jury decides to kill them, then its off with their heads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me clarify my position. Am I glad that these folks on death row are going get out of being executed...No.  Am I glad that SCOTUS finally made the right decision...Yes.  

I can only hope that these folks who were to be put to death have their sentences re-affirmed by a jury.  

I don't argue with the use of the death penalty.  I just don't believe that a judge has the right to make that decision.  Again I wish that the victims families could be spared, but it was wrong for this to go on like this (judges having this much authority).  
View Quote

But how do we do that Sloth?
How do you recall a jury from a case that could be 10 or 15 years old?
How do you go about informing a new jury JUST to agree on the penalty phase?
The way I read the decision, you would have to provide so much information to the new jury it would be tantamount to holding a whole new trial.
And to begin with the State of Arizona is flat broke. Will the Federal goverment come through with the cash so that we can hold these new proceedings? Will they pay for the mess they caused?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No Platform, its just that your logic makes no sense. How is Bush responsible for this ruling by the SCOTUS? I know the big media would have you believe that they are all in his back pocket due to the election, but its not true. If you think i'm wrong, then explain how Bush is responsible for this. I'm not a huge Bush fan, but cast blame where its due.

Now what i think the state of AZ can do is to call a new jury just for the punishment phase. They don't need to find the origianl juries. If the new jury decides to kill them, then its off with their heads.
View Quote

But is just convening a jury for the penalty phase only constitutional?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I think thats the way they do it in most of the other states, that's why only some states had their executions overturned.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well Mr Gat, I was standing here in the ring waiting for the return of ArmdLbrl, but you'll do till he comes back...

The key words in my first post are Business As Usual.  Anyone thinking the election of Bush was/is going to address occurances such what we are talking about is, to be polite, deceived.

IT LOOKS,

IT SMELLS,

IT TASTES,

LIKE...

BUSINESS AS USUAL

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The death penalty should be used as punishment for any and all violent crime, and there should also be a Federal law stating this.

A jury convicts the scumbag, a law dictates the punishment!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Go away 386 I dont talk to people who are obviously stoned.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A jury convicts the scumbag, a law dictates the punishment!
View Quote

I agree with this part, ideally this should be the way its run. It doesn't eliminate jury nullification, since a jury can simply return a lesser charge or vote not guilty. But whatever charge the jury does find a person guilty of, the punishments should be automatic. Neither judge nor jury should be required to make that decision. The prosecution alone, acting in the capacity of council for the victims, should have the power to ask for mercy and suggest a lesser penalty.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The death penalty should be used as punishment for any and all violent crime, and there should also be a Federal law stating this.
View Quote

I hope you've been drinking and typing...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you not see this part?

Quoted:
What makes this all the more galling is that the Supreme Court told Arizona in 1990 that how we were doing things was OK. Now they do THIS shit.
View Quote

Get it now?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
389;  Pass some of that around..  No Bogarting Dude...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent !!

Anything that removes power from government and returns it to the people works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top