Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 10:20:13 AM EDT
Just saw it over the weekend, not bad. I like the opening and closing music. The Tommy guns were great too.
Can you guys recommend and prohibition era ganster movies?

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Please tell me you're kidding.  I'm a big bruce willis fan, and I was ashamed he was in this movie.  What an absolute piece of horseshit movie that was.

Class Z movie for sure.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah, the movie kinda blew... but he's got class using two 1911's.  :)

I liked the scene when he's loading up all the magazines.  I'd like to have all them mags... :)

I currently have 8 magazines for my 1911..... neeed.... more..... magazines.... and ammunition...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What's wrong with you guys, that movie was awesome.  Esp. on big screen with surround sound cranked up.  The gunshots shake the walls, the ricorchets and shells dropping on the floor in the surround speakers is sweet.  Plus as blackrifle said the opening music is also totally sweet.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the movie sucked also, but thats what happens when Japs make a movie about american gangsters I guess.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought that was an excellent movie... It was great story... Staight from DimeStore fiction... Awesome.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought the movie sucked also, but thats what happens when Japs make a movie about american gangsters I guess.
View Quote

You are kidding right? That was a set in the 20s remake of A Fist Full of Dollars. And that movie was an Italian "spaghetti western" remake of a Japanese samurai movie. I will agree that is was poorly done. Clint Eastwood still gets my vote.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just saw it over the weekend, not bad. I like the opening and closing music. The Tommy guns were great too.
View Quote

I think the title is Miller's Crossing. It is probably one of the best one's in recent history, but there are plenty of black and white movies that kicked ass.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, I liked that movie.

It was just a remake of [i]Yojimbo/A Fist Full of Dollars[/i] but it was a well done one. If anything it held truer to Kirasawas original [i]Yojimbo[/i] story than [i]A Fist Full of Dollars[/i] did.

I can only think that it was just because the story was so worn out from overuse that the movie tanked.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
When the movie was starting, I looked away during the opening credits, but caught the name Akira Kurosawa... the director of many samurai movies... from what I know, he was a big fan of westerns.  

I remember seeing the Seven Samurai... the samurai equivalent of the Magnificent Seven.  Also liked the trilogy about Miyamoto Musashi...  I think that was an Akira Kurosawa production...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please tell me you're kidding.  I'm a big bruce willis fan, and I was ashamed he was in this movie.  What an absolute piece of horseshit movie that was.

Class Z movie for sure.

Mike
View Quote

[i]YOU[/i] have got to be kidding. Compared to the second and third Die Hard flicks this was high art...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I liked the scene when he's loading up all the magazines.  I'd like to have all them mags... :)

I currently have 8 magazines for my 1911..... neeed.... more..... magazines.... and ammunition...
View Quote

OMG, you mean Bruce actually used a handgun other then his dual barretta's?

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

My personal favorite is Miller's Crossing. Pi$$es me off that it's not available on DVD yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the title is Miller's Crossing. It is probably one of the best one's in recent history, but there are plenty of black and white movies that kicked ass.
View Quote

"Ohh Danny boy......."  Wasn't that an awesome scene?  Doubly so if you like Tommy guns.

Miller's Crossing is an incredible movie.  One of my faves.

love the scene where John Tutorro is on his knees begging for his life, for a SECOND time to the same man who showed him mercy the first time.....

"Please!  Look into your heart!"

"What heart?"  BOOM BOOM
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"Ohh Danny boy......."  Wasn't that an awesome scene?  Doubly so if you like Tommy guns.

Miller's Crossing is an incredible movie.  One of my faves.
View Quote

I'm such a fanboy I bought the soundtrack. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Last Man Standing was a pretty good action flick.  Not the best thing since sliced bread, but plenty entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

OMG, you mean Bruce actually used a handgun other then his dual barretta's?

View Quote

When did he use two Berettas?
He used a Beretta in the first two Die Hard films, but only one. Cant remember what he used in the third movie but I think it was the same.

Which was messed up to begin with. You can check with Waverunner but I dont think NYPD has ever allowed its people to carry Berettas. And at the time of the first Die Hard movie NYPD were still using revolvers! If there were any automatics in the force it was in ESU and Willis's character was supposedly just a plain detective!

Having Bruce carry two .45's was not only keeping with the [i]samurai[/i] theme (samurai carried two swords) but also were part of director Walter Hill's "tribute" to (ie rip off of) the Master, director John "Two Gun" Woo.  He made Chow Yun Fat famous for blazing away at roomfuls of baddies with a pair of Beretta M92's in [i]A Better Tomorrow[/i] and [i]The Killer[/i].
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He used a Beretta in the first two Die Hard films, but only one. Cant remember what he used in the third movie but I think it was the same.

Which was messed up to begin with. You can check with Waverunner but I dont think NYPD has ever allowed its people to carry Berettas.
View Quote

Maybe it was a Taurus? [;D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Class Z movie for sure.

Mike
View Quote

[i]YOU[/i] have got to be kidding. Compared to the second and third Die Hard flicks this was high art...
View Quote

Hey zipperhead, when I want your opinion I'll give it to you.

THAT'S BLASPHEMY!  Last man standing even being close the WORST Die Hard is unthinkable.  You guys sound just like movie critics, thinking all the good movies suck and the crappy movies are the sh!t.  Sad sad sad.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#19]
What's not to like??!!

[img]http://movieweb.com/movie/lastman/co3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
The original movies were much better. Bruce really didnt offer anything new other then the guns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
It was alright.  I wouldn't put it as my top top 10, or maybe even my top 100, but I think its worth renting.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of each: BHP 9mm, Glock 35, Magnum Research Lone Eagle 7mm-08, and a Kimber Custom Eclipse II.

But, da-da-damn, I want a pair of Willis' recoilless .45s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  [8D]

Dave S

And I was saving up for just one Wilson CQB.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's not to like??!!

[img]http://movieweb.com/movie/lastman/co3.jpg[/img]
View Quote
Seriously WHATS NOT TO LIKE? I thought it was a good "action movie".Little to much WHITE KNIGHT crap over a HO' though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I liked it. The .45 adulation was great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But, da-da-damn, I want a pair of Willis' recoilless .45s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  [8D]
View Quote

.45's have recoil??

While I can't drag the front end back down as fast as in the movies I also haven't seen the inside of a weight room in 5 years. Someone who actually exercises and takes care of themselves should be able to control a .45 one handed.

Of course poor Mr. Willis had it worse since he had to use guns firing blanks that have no recoil and so he has to fake it! I have yet to see a actor get it right, they either jerk too much or it looks like nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top