Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 5:53:49 AM EDT
Anyone see this Tom Cruise movie that opened this weekend?  I haven't, but a friend did and was wondering about the hardware.

Anyone know what pistol Tom Cruise used?  Is it a real gun or a movie prop (i.e., Alien, Starship Troopers, etc.)?

TIA (I don't get out much...)
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I think maybe it's a Beretta 9000 S?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It definitely looked Beretta-esque.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a Beretta 9000 S....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.beretta.com/images/p_9000S_F.jpg[/img]
9000s
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw it yesterday at a matinee.  Not a terrible movie, but I'm glad it was a matinee and not full price.

Anyway, the gun shown above is it.  There were some other interesting sci-fi weapons in the movie as well.  My wife asked me what the pistol was (great wife!) but I couldn't answer.

Is it a real gun or a movie prop (i.e., Alien, Starship Troopers, etc.)?
View Quote

The pistol that most people make reference to from Alien is actually a H&K VP70, the [b]first[/b] polymer pistol on the market.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Are these decent pistols or POS's?  Just curious.  Don't think that I've heard all that much about them even though they've been out for some time.

BTW, good movie or dumb?  I'm not much of a movie goer and have to confess that until my friend walked into my office today and mentioned that he saw it over the weekend, I had not even heard of it.

Thanks for you replies.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I worked on the movie and it was a Beretta 9000s.  We had two of them.  When we shot in DC I had to get them checked into the baggage on the plane.  We chartered a 757 and the pilot came down to the tarmac and I had to unlock the case and show him the pistols.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are these decent pistols or POS's?  Just curious.  Don't think that I've heard all that much about them even though they've been out for some time.
View Quote

I have one (9000s Type F in .40 S&W), its a great shooter once it gets broken in.  The slide is narrow which makes it hard to rack. The slide release is pretty tight to start with.  The safety takes a bit to get used too also.  I bought the extendable mag bottoms that allows my pinkie to fit on the grip.  The grp itself is a bit thick for a compact pistol.  Overall, its turned out to be a good gun for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Chokey.
I dont own a 9000 but I have shot one on a few occasions and I like it. I am starting to become a big fan of the new pistols beretta is starting to put out. I bought the beretta 8000 a while ago and its my favorite pistol. I think I might start saving for the 9000
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It (the movie) is a 2 hr 20 min commercial for Pepsi and Lexus. D-U-M-B!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It (the movie) is a 2 hr 20 min commercial for Pepsi and Lexus. D-U-M-B!
View Quote

Not to mention Augafina and GAP but overall a decent movie.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't know about the movie, but the website has "issues".  Trying to watch the trailer gets a lesson in Windows Task Manager...

[url]www.minorityreport.com[/url]

[IMG]http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/corky/smilies23.gif[/IMG]

Edited to add:

Be SURE and take the test for joining the "Precrime" team...  Maybe I can pick up trash or something in the future.

How are you at the PREDETERMINATION IMAGE ENGINE test?  Or ELEVATED PREVISION DEVELOPMENT?[IMG][IMG]http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/otn/realhappy/bucktooth1.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Trouble spots:

A)In the future cops can stop a murder 36 hours before it takes place thanks to genetically enhanced crack babies, but it takes them a couple of days to  take a fugitive off the restricted access list.

B)I am sick of sitting through scenes in which eccentric creators of new technology offer vague advice to on-the-run protagonists.

C)The murder weapon (Beretta) was included in a box full of personal effects picked up by the ex.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I figured it was a real gun because I noticed the metal on the bottom of the frame that has the serial number on it, like my glock has. Hollywood is too gun stupid to include a detail like that on a completely fake hollywood gun
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel that the movie, Minority Report, is mind conditioning for the thought crimes being perpretrated by our country leaders. For those of you who think that this is a little too tin-hatty, consider this.

The movie raises the question of how can a person be guilty of a crime he may commit in the future if he is stopped from commiting it in the present? The right of a fair trial, due process, et al go out the window.

The solution is offered by saying that if he had not been stopped, he surely would have committed the crime. Basically a crime of intent. This solution still flies in the face of our constitution but the movie is indoctrinating us, remember?

Anderton then gets a dime dropped on him by the Pre-Cogs.

The finding of guilt are handed down by three "Pre-Cogs" who basically are psychics and can supposedly tell the future (occultic and demonism according to the bible). However, it is not made known to the populace whether or not all three Pre-Cogs are always in agreement with each other. This fact is presented to Anderton, Tom Cruise, and he is told how to find out if at least one of the Pre-Cogs had what may be called a "dissenting vote". This is called the Minority Report. Up until now the decisions of the Pre-Cogs were taken as absolute truth and without error. Tom Cruise, now armed with this information sets out to discover if this Minority Report exists, and if it does, to then use it to clear himself.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I feel that the movie, Minority Report, is mind conditioning for the thought crimes being perpretrated by our country leaders. For those of you who think that this is a little too tin-hatty, consider this.

The movie raises the question of how can a person be guilty of a crime he may commit in the future if he is stopped from commiting it in the present? The right of a fair trial, due process, et al go out the window.

The solution is offered by saying that if he had not been stopped, he surely would have committed the crime. Basically a crime of intent. This solution still flies in the face of our constitution but the movie is indoctrinating us, remember?

Anderton then gets a dime dropped on him by the Pre-Cogs.

The finding of guilt are handed down by three "Pre-Cogs" who basically are psychics and can supposedly tell the future (occultic and demonism according to the bible). However, it is not made known to the populace whether or not all three Pre-Cogs are always in agreement with each other. This fact is presented to Anderton, Tom Cruise, and he is told how to find out if at least one of the Pre-Cogs had what may be called a "dissenting vote". This is called the Minority Report. Up until now the decisions of the Pre-Cogs were taken as absolute truth and without error. Tom Cruise, now armed with this information sets out to discover if this Minority Report exists, and if it does, to then use it to clear himself.
View Quote

So, Tom Cruise's character doesn't realize how unjust the law is until he's the target of it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So, Tom Cruise's character doesn't realize how unjust the law is until he's the target of it?
View Quote

Yes. Much in the same way many here will find out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top