Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 3:10:44 AM EDT
The August 2002 issue of Soldier of Fortune magazine contains both good news and bad news in an article written by well-known author and war correspondent Major Jim Morris, U.S. Army (Ret.). Major Morris who served three tours w/ SF in Vietnam and covered eight wars for SOF has noted that this month (June) 905 Montagnards from Vietnam will enter the U.S. While this is considered a big win for the efforts the American who fought and worked with those people during the Vietnam War, the bad news concerns the hundreds of thousands left behind.

When Americans left Vietnam in 1975, the combine population of both North and South Vietnam was 30 million and the Montagnard population was 3 million. Today the population of Vietnam is 79 million and the Montagnard total is 650,000 and while the commies claim they have been treated humanely the numbers speak genocide.

Senate Bill HR2833, a bill that could help their plight, a bill that passed the House with a vote of 411 to 1, has gotten blocked in the Senate. The one Senator responsible for this blockage is John Kerry of Massachusetts (who just happened to be on 60 Minutes last even.)and through his sole efforts the bill has been stymied.

While the original religion of the Montagnard people was Animist, the Christian missionaries beat SF to Indo-China by 20 years and most “yards” nowadays are Protestant Christians.

Major Morris has in this article made a fervent plea for all to write your congressman, write and call your senator, especially John Kerry. Write the Boston Globe, if your a Christian mobilize your church, if in need of guidance contact the Green Berets for Human Rights website at [url]www.GB4HR.net[/url] as this bill needs to get passed! This is the only hold the U.S. has over the Vietnamese to protect those, our former allies in the struggle against communism, and support for this cause are badly needed NOW!

Thanks for doing your part to help these valiant and honorable people.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Your correct (article states following) "he was with the brown water Navy in the Delta, but didn't work w/ the Montagnards. It is said he had business dealings w/ the Vietnamese and that he's also wracked by liberal guilt for those he killed and the war in general."

Mike

Edited 'cus I can't spell.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
For a moment there, I had this John Kerry confused with the ex-Senator John Kerrey, who was from a midwest state (Kansas or Nebraska?)

It bothers me how as a nation we seem to be sucking up to this country, as well as China.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For a moment there, I had this John Kerry confused with the ex-Senator John Kerrey, who was from a midwest state (Kansas or Nebraska?)

It bothers me how as a nation we seem to be sucking up to this country, as well as China.

View Quote
This has nothing to do with sucking up to Vietnam.  It has to do with something that should have been done long ago.  The 'yards were fierce fighters and very loyal to us.  They loved us, unlike the South Vietnamese.  They were hill people, not Vietnamese.  We abandoned them when we left and promised to help them.  We have not done so, just like we left the Karens in Burma dangling in the wind after WWII.  They were the same way, fierce and loyal.  

I can't believe that John Kerry, a SEAL, is blocking this.  What a piece of garbage and I hate saying that about a fellow sailor from the same time period.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]We abandoned them when we left and promised to help them.[/b] This statement I'm sure is in reference to our "government" not those who served with the Montagnards.

While I never served, my knowledge of the 'yards comes from personal relationships w/ members of the SF community, who have like Major Morris fought tooth and nail to keep the promises "our government" and they personally made. Many SF's (because of statement above) saw to it that upon leaving Vietnam they, by hook or crook, took some of them along, and on many occasions SOF magazine has trumpeted their cause, it's a righteous endeavor worthy of a letter or a phone call or two.

Especially and particularly to Kerry for holding up the bill. His Washington contact info is:

Kerry, John  (D - MA)
304 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2742
[email protected]

I believe the term is "[b]lock & load[/b]", especially for you guys who might live in Massachusetts. (I called his office and of course because of the way I talk they said they weren't interested in comments from Texans).

Mike

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]
While the original religion of the Montagnard people was Animist, the Christian missionaries beat SF to Indo-China by 20 years and most “yards” nowadays are Protestant Christians.
View Quote

?? What does that have to do with anything?

I really don't care if the Montagnards weren't Christian, they still need our help!

Av.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]?? What does that have to do with anything?[/b]

While I couldn't type the whole article, this was a part of his article, and shows both the intelligence and resolve which Major Morris has for this cause. The religious right are feeling somewhat persecuted in our own country and constitute a large voting block of people. What better way to gain support for his cause than to point out that part of the reason their being treated so badly is because their Christians. (While I do no know this as fact, I do believe that Maj. Morris is of similar faith and recognizes the clout these folks can and do exert on our elected leaders). He has been a staunch supporter of this cause since we pulled out of 'nam ALL ALONG and while I certainly do not speak for him, this is my take on an answer for your question.

Mike  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The efforts of the special forces have not been wasted as if I remember reading correctly, Fort Bragg NC. has the largest Montagnard population in the US. In fact it may be the only area where the Montagnards are within the US... That is something to be proud about...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
This has nothing to do with sucking up to Vietnam.  It has to do with something that should have been done long ago.  The 'yards were fierce fighters and very loyal to us.  They loved us, unlike the South Vietnamese.  They were hill people, not Vietnamese.  We abandoned them when we left and promised to help them.  We have not done so, just like we left the Karens in Burma dangling in the wind after WWII.  They were the same way, fierce and loyal.  
View Quote

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm all for the 'yards and anything we can do for them.  I hate the country that is wiping them out, OK?

I can't believe that John Kerry, a SEAL, is blocking this.  What a piece of garbage and I hate saying that about a fellow sailor from the same time period.
View Quote

Check further -- the last name, Kerry, is spelled differently than that of John Kerrey, who I am pretty sure is the SEAL we detest.  Kerry is a current Senator from MA, and Kerrey is from Kansas or some nearby state.  Actually, they BOTH sound like useless schmucks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
The 'Yards got a real shitty deal.  As EdAvilaSr pointed out, they are of a different ethnicity and therefore were treated as unequals by both the North and the South during the war.  It's damn sad too considering they were some of our best allies over there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top