Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 6:17:42 PM EDT
Think you can outrun Da Man???
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BusMaster007%2FRunning%2520Radar%2520%282%29%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
so thats where my white vett went!  
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe thats a Pontiac Firebird, not a Vette, how dare you confuse them. [50]

Bill3508

Maybe not, I don't know, looks strange tonite.  I deny everything if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, the picture may not be real . . .

But state-ees in a firebird or camaro are easy to lose.  Don't do it on the open road, where the advantage belongs to the revenue collectors with their large V-8s.  Just make 'em turn left or right a few times.  Even a Nissan Sentra outcorners a camaro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Phil_A_Steen,

You obviously do not know how to properly drive a real-wheel drive car if that is your position.  Give me a V8 Camaro or Firebird any day and I will put most other cars to shame.  Its all in how you control the power.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...Even a Nissan Sentra outcorners a camaro.
View Quote

Yeah, right....
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a used 96 z28 because it handles and accelerates in + and - directions better than anything else at the price.

Show me a sentra that can outrun me stock vs stock.  If the sentra driver is a ringer, I will let my friend drive, and we will have ringer vs ringer.  :)  

As far as running from the cops, radio and air is awful hard to run when limited to roads.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, I was exaggerating a bit with the sentra comment, but as a bike rider, I have had *friends* who have challenged the New York State police in their camaros and won.  It's never an acceleration thing, always a handling thing.

Also, my friend Konrad did the same in his '79 porsche.  At 110, with state-ee camaro in tow, hit the brakes and swerved from the passing lane into an exit ramp.  The only thing he saw as the state-ee tried to match the maneuver was a big cloud of black tire smoke.

I don't advocate running, by the way, the calculus doesn't make sense.  $100 traffic ticket + $300 insurance charge, vs. 20% chance of getting away, 60% change of being caught, having felony charges (no more AR-15s!) and $50,000 in legal bills, and 20% chance of being FUBAR'ed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But state-ees in a firebird or camaro are easy to lose.  Don't do it on the open road, where the advantage is there.  Just make 'em turn left or right a few times.  Even a Nissan Sentra outcorners a camaro.
View Quote

DIE RICEBOY!

-edit-

Shes a 3rd gen, late model transam. possibly a turbo by the looks of the nose. nice V8 350 power(standard, pursiut has better i imagine).... shamed by the LS1 of todays Transams/SS's
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
NOVA5, it's interesting you would leap to the assumption I ride a Japanese motorcycle based on the implied description that my motorcycle was fast and cornered well.  How'd you know it wasn't a Harley?  Or a Buell?

And I do take exception to the riceboy remark.  I happen to ride a pastaburner.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But state-ees in a firebird or camaro are easy to lose.  Don't do it on the open road, where the advantage is there.  Just make 'em turn left or right a few times.  Even a Nissan Sentra outcorners a camaro.
View Quote

DIE RICEBOY!

-edit-

Shes a 3rd gen, late model transam. possibly a turbo by the looks of the nose. nice V8 350 power(standard, pursiut has better i imagine).... shamed by the LS1 of todays Transams/SS's
View Quote
That nose heavy supercharged pig in the picture won't corner for crap, as most camaros and firebirds won't.  Whether you guys like it or not, a Sentra will outcorner those cars.  Granted you will make it up in speed, but it will outcorner them.  I don't own one, but have been involved in SCCA racing for the last 17 years and have seen it done many times on the racetrack.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Phil_A_Steen:
Also, my friend Konrad did the same in his '79 porsche. At 110, with state-ee camaro in tow, hit the brakes and swerved from the passing lane into an exit ramp. The only thing he saw as the state-ee tried to match the maneuver was a big cloud of [b]black [/b] tire smoke
View Quote

Umm- tire smoke is white.

edited bcz u ppl dnt uz real html
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]
And the big funny looking thing sticking up out from the hood of the Fireturd with three holes in the front is a........BLOWER.

On a road with corners all things considered a car will outcorner a bike all day long. Acceleration and stopping not withstanding.

And yes, a Nissan Sentra with some good tires will smoke plenty of cars in the corners.  

Quoted:
Shes a 3rd gen, late model transam. possibly a turbo by the looks of the nose.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

DIE RICEBOY!

-edit-

View Quote
That nose heavy supercharged pig in the picture won't corner for crap, as most camaros and firebirds won't.  Whether you guys like it or not, a Sentra will outcorner those cars.  Granted you will make it up in speed, but it will outcorner them.  I don't own one, but have been involved in SCCA racing for the last 17 years and have seen it done many times on the racetrack.
View Quote

Well Larry, here is a video of a Camaro giving a 911 turbo everything it can handle and the Camaro is stock.
[url]http://chuckb.1le.net/video/042002_msr/porsche_pass.wmv[/url]

Here is a video of the same Camaro dragging the mighty BMW M3 in the vortex as it gets passed.
[url]http://chuckb.1le.net/video/passes1.wmv[/url]

I would imagine that a Nissan Sentra can outrun a Camaro in a parking lot, but get it out on a road race course and watch it get left in the dust.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:46:31 AM EDT
[#19]
In case you haven't noticed, neither car in the pic is really set up to do much cornering.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:12:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#21]
911 Turbo, beaten by a Camaro?

Laugh riot! Maybe in a bad sci-fi movie.

Of course it might just be me, I'm Mike Hailwood and Phil Hill's love child.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LMAO..that is a great pic.
A sentra out corner an F-body!!! Maybe untill the ass end lets go. Then what are you going to do. You sure don't have it under the hood to drive out of it.
My IROC is bone stock as far as suspension and it corners great thank you very much. After PST and I get done with it..it will corner that much better.
What size tires would a Sentra have? I doubt they are 245/50R16's. That is a big contact patch with the road. If you don't have that..you don't have squat.
View Quote
Yes, a Sentra will outcorner an F-body all day long.  As both a driver (not of either) and a corner worker, I have seen it happen hundreds of time on road courses.  It will OUTCORNER it, but as I said, the F-body will outpull it in the straights, naturally.  I didn't say that an F-body doesn't corner okay, but they aren't that great, too much weight in the nose.  You may think that yours corners great, but you have never had it on a road course at the very ragged edge.

As for the contact patch, the Sentra doesn't need as much as it probably weighs 500 lbs less.  It is lighter and more nimble.  A lot of small cars like that will outcorner a lot of cars but won't outrun them top end and won't match their lap times.

You guys need to get over your bias and accept reality.  I am not knocking F-bodies, just stating the facts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well Larry, here is a video of a Camaro giving a 911 turbo everything it can handle and the Camaro is stock.
[url]http://chuckb.1le.net/video/042002_msr/porsche_pass.wmv[/url]
View Quote
First, that Posche is not a Turbo.  It is a normally aspirated 3.2 or maybe 3.6 911.

Second, listening to the engine, no one was pushing that hard.  These were a bunch of street cars that bought track time and allowed to lap, but not push real hard.

Third, there were a bunch of no-driving fools out there just getting in the way.  Just because a driver buys a Porsche doesn't mean he knows how to drive it and he was also being held up by other cars.  If this was sanctioned racing with licensed comp drivers, even the normally aspirated 911 would leave him.  In all the 'showroom stock' type series, they don't allow 930s (911 turbo) to race, even against 'vettes, as it would smoke them all.

Fourth, that Camaro didn't sound stock.

Here is a video of the same Camaro dragging the mighty BMW M3 in the vortex as it gets passed.
[url]http://chuckb.1le.net/video/passes1.wmv[/url]
View Quote

That was not an M3, that was a 4 cylinder M Coupe.  He did not pass him in the corner and did not even close on him in the corner.  He passed him on the straight.  Nothing to do with CORNERING, which is what I was talking about.

I would imagine that a Nissan Sentra can outrun a Camaro in a parking lot, but get it out on a road race course and watch it get left in the dust
View Quote
Well, duh, that's what I said.  It will outcorner them, even on a roadcourse, but the top end is not as good and the overall lap time would not be as good simply because of horsepower.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NOVA5, it's interesting you would leap to the assumption I ride a Japanese motorcycle based on the implied description that my motorcycle was fast and cornered well.  How'd you know it wasn't a Harley?  Or a Buell?

And I do take exception to the riceboy remark.  I happen to ride a pastaburner.
View Quote

Nissan Sentra = Import auto.
Rice = Japanese import auto, not crotchrocket.

Fbody owners tend to dislike riceburner cars ;)

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

DIE RICEBOY!

-edit-

View Quote
View Quote

neither of them will corner well with that heavy nose. so its even matched.

a sentra may outcorner but outrun is the trick. can you outrun the Eye in the Sky?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#26]
No need to outrun the eye in the sky when you've got Ma Deuce in the bed of the pickup.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First, that Posche is not a Turbo.  It is a normally aspirated 3.2 or maybe 3.6 911.
View Quote
 LOL, It is a turbo.  The N/A can't hang with the big dog!

Second, listening to the engine, no one was pushing that hard.  These were a bunch of street cars that bought track time and allowed to lap, but not push real hard.
View Quote
 These cars have full exhaust and are street legal.  They are pushing the cars pretty hard.

Third, there were a bunch of no-driving fools out there just getting in the way.  Just because a driver buys a Porsche doesn't mean he knows how to drive it and he was also being held up by other cars.  If this was sanctioned racing with licensed comp drivers, even the normally aspirated 911 would leave him.  In all the 'showroom stock' type series, they don't allow 930s (911 turbo) to race, even against 'vettes, as it would smoke them all.
View Quote

I didn't ever say the Camaro outran the 911 Turbo.  A 911 Turbo will not "smoke" a vette.  The 911 Turbo is a very nice piece of German engineering, but it is not gods gift and a regular old American sportscar can give it hell.

Fourth, that Camaro didn't sound stock.
View Quote
LOL, it does sound pretty good!!

That was not an M3, that was a 4 cylinder M Coupe.  He did not pass him in the corner and did not even close on him in the corner.  He passed him on the straight.  Nothing to do with CORNERING, which is what I was talking about.
View Quote
 I will give you that one, but LOL, now the lowly f-body that can't handle has to pass in a corner.  haha  He stuck with them in the corners and smoked that ass on the straightaway.  It ain't fair is it.

Yes, these are real cars, not race cars.  These are real drivers, not race car drivers.  They are running the cars harder than you think.  There are passing rules to minimize the possibility of a crash.
. I didn't say that an F-body doesn't corner okay, but they aren't that great, too much weight in the nose. You may think that yours corners great, but you have never had it on a road course at the very ragged edge.
View Quote

Actually you did, but since you seem to have revised your earlier statement?
Since you are bashing the poor weight distribution of the Camaro, what exactly is the weight distribution of a 1998 or newer Camaro?
Don't know do ya, you are talking out your arse!
OH Yes, I do think the newer Camaros handle great, even at the ragged edge.  It isn't a 911 Turbo for sure, but a frigging Sentra ain't gonna touch it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Not only is the sign augmented with the "1" but it is also added to the picture and is not original.  Note that the pole to the sign does not look like a typical pipe pole and it does not extend all the way down to the car, but floats in the air.

Also notice that the officer has pulled the guy over to the left shoulder.  The sign is therefore located between both directions of travel.  Such signs are usually the exception, rather than the rule for speed limit sign locations.  

Given that the view of the image is from the right front of the cars, the sign face for the officer's direction of travel should not be visible to the camera.  So the sign must be for traffic going the opposite direction, only the sign does not face toward that traffic either.  Instead if faces directly toward the camera which is not a view that should be possible in real life.  In real life, the sign should be distorted to reflect the furthest edge as smaller than the closest edge.  So the sign in the image represents a photo manipulation mistake.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top