Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 2:45:38 PM EDT
Anybody here preparing in any way for what may happen this 4th of July? Anybody leaving town hoping to avoid and attacks that may occur in the city areas?

What do you think may take place sometime over the next 2 weeks? What precautions would be prudent?

I'm already in a semi rural area but may get to eastern Washington for the 4th. I'll have my kids so that is good.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup... arming the family and the neighbors, walling up behind sandbags and hunkering down to ride out the impending chaos of the 4th of July. [BD]

Relax. Put the National Enquirer Down and step away from the coffee.  Everything's gonna be fine... Take yer kids out and give em some sparklers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no more prepared now than I normally am.  Did I mention I'm always prepared for something? [}:D]

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
We will be hunkered down in the Homeland Security Moblie Command, Communicaations, and Control Center. OK we are camping in the woods in our new trailer.

With our usual preparations.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Relax. Put the National Enquirer Down and step away from the coffee.  Everything's gonna be fine... Take yer kids out and give em some [red]sparklers[/red].
View Quote

But be careful with them things!!!

[i]...says the man from Arizona [flame][/i]

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I could seal off my place and not come out for 4 months right now, other than to dump a shit bucket in the event of sewer and water failure. That's my plan if there is a contageous bio attack.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The beer is iced and stockpiled
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
So, I take it no one is changing their routine. Or perhaps you all live in an area that is not a magnet for attacks. Maybe you just don't think anything will happen but if it does there would be nothing you could do about it anyway.

I wasn't talking about assuming a bunker mentality but simply trying to avoid places of likely attck.

I think something will happen but like everbody here have no idea when or where. Oh well, its just a waiting game now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You're thinking our normal holiday routine dosen't involve inspecting, cleaning, and reloading our weapons [;D]

I'll be up at my parents, doubtless either at the range, or at post-range cleaning and reloading...

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, I take it no one is changing their routine.

I think something will happen but like everbody here have no idea when or where. Oh well, its just a waiting game now.
View Quote

Why worry? If things happen, they happen. Till then I will not submit myself to constant worry about it. I'll live my life like I did before the Sept 11th attacks. I will be more aware of my surroundings, and be alert for anything that looks funny, but that is usually something my mind does on its own behind the scenes anyway.

If we start changing what we do, and when we do it, they have won.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If we start changing what we do, and when we do it, they have won.
View Quote

I just thought that was worth repeating.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Rainman,

I tend to agree with you that sooner or later these people will try to hit us again if they get the chance to do so. With that said, I have already taken every precaution I can think of to give myself the best chance possible of surviving whatever may come. I do live in a more rural setting so I admit I am less concerned than I would be living in a large city. But I think the threat has no boundaries. The next attack may come in the smallest of towns as they are the least prepared and defended. So just because you don't live in NYC or Washington, DC doesn't mean you are immune to this stuff. We are all in it together.

Now, that doesn't mean I am going to stop living my life the way I want to. If we do that then the terrorists win. Take sensible precautions in your daily lives but don't stop living. I mean the chances of one of us dying in a car crash is far greater than being killed in an act of terrorism, yet we don't throw away our keys and stay at home because of that do we? Let's try to keep all of this stuff in perspective and we will be much better off mentally and emotionally.

I probably will avoid my town's July 4th festival this year, which includes a parade, outdoor concert and fireworks show. But I will do so for the usual reasons such as avoiding all of the drunks and the mosquitos by the river! Not because of any perceived threat I feel by going there, but just because I have seen this show many times and it doesn't have the alure it once did. Instead I will be sitting at home with family and a few friends enjoying a barbecue and remembering what "July  4th" represents to our nation. But the Sig Sauer P229 will be riding on my hip where it usually is and heavier firepower will be nearby if needed. But I seriously doubt it will be. Even if something happens, I doubt a weapon will do much good as by the time you realize there is a threat, the terrorist will have already done whatever it is he was planning to do.

Again, take some precautions but don't stop living your lives. I see a heightened awareness about the 4th and people are trying to prepare for that day. Well, I am prepared for that day as I am prepared for every single day. An attack could come on any day at any time for that matter, so I am not going to focus all my attention on any one day. Afterall, September 11 wasn't a July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas or a New Year's holiday.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Well if buying a few new guns as GW asked us to do, or a case or two of MREs?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...Or perhaps you all live in an area that is not a magnet for attacks.
View Quote

As a matter of fact, I live in a place that must exemplify everything that muslim terrorists hate about America.  Las Vegas, land of legal prostitution, gambling and vices galore.  If anyone on this board is concerned about where they live being attacked, it's me. But, like Aviator said, I'll not be affected by the possibility of an attack.  I'm as prepared as I feel I need to be... but hey, you can't plan for everything. So I just keep on keepin' on, albeit with a bit more awareness of my surroundings.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The bastards could strike anywhere. I'm not doing anything different- just keep a watchful eye on things. If anyone sees anything out of the ordinary, report it. The neighbor FBI Agent has made arrests from ordinary people reporting suspicious behavior of suspicious people. Just keep locked & loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top