Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 2:37:12 PM EDT

[b]Now there ain't NO FRICKIN [u]WAY[/u] we're gonna see the AW Ban sunset without an even WORSE set of "Crime Laws" written to immediately replace it.[/b]

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29717-2002Jun22.html]Major Crimes In U.S. Increase:
2001 Rise Follows 9 Years of Decline[/url]
[i]The number of major crimes in the United States increased last year for the first time in a decade, bringing an end to a decline in violence that had resulted in the lowest crime levels in a generation, according to FBI statistics.

The increase included a 3.1 percent rise in murders reported by police departments nationwide, along with significant jumps in the numbers of robberies, burglaries and car thefts, according to the preliminary FBI survey, which was obtained by The Washington Post. Overall, major crimes in 2001 were up by 2 percent from the year before.
The national increase, outlined in an annual report to be released Monday by the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting Program, reverses nine years of declining crime numbers and is certain to fuel debates on Capitol Hill over proposed cuts in anti-crime measures.

The reversal comes amid budget pressures on many local police departments because of rapid declines in the tax revenues collected by state and local governments. In addition, the FBI -- which has been deeply involved in major narcotics and gang investigations -- is in the midst of a major reorganization that will result in less attention to traditional crimes in favor of efforts aimed at thwarting terrorist attacks.

Many police chiefs and criminologists have warned that surges in the numbers of teenagers and released prisoners, along with recent economic declines, threatened a return to rising crime.

"We're probably done seeing declines in crime rates for some time to come," said Jack Riley, director of the Public Safety and Justice Program at Rand Corp. in Santa Monica, Calif. "The question is how strong and how fast will those rates be, and what kind of tools do we have at our disposal to get ahead of the curve."

The FBI survey does not provide details about specific suburbs, although crime reports in suburban areas overall were up 2.2 percent. Regionally, only the Northeast showed a drop in crime. The largest increase was in western states, followed by the South and Midwest, the FBI said.
Criminologists are divided over what causes crime rates to increase, though most believe that economics and demographics play crucial roles. Riley and other crime experts said last year's resurgence can be explained at least in part by a stagnant economy.

In addition, [red]the number of inmates released from state and federal prisons last year rose to more than 600,000 as many convicted during the crack-cocaine epidemic of the late 1980s returned to the streets, according to federal estimates. Police officials are also concerned about an ongoing increase in the teenage population[/red], which has historically been the age group most likely to commit crimes.
.[/i]

Now we got several years ahead filled with more gangbangers, crackheads and fuckheaded-teenagers roaming the streets.

[b]Oh yeah - the next couple years are looking REEEEEEEAL good for the antis!![/b]

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
This was the first thing I thought when I read about the crime increase: lets see how long until this is used as an argument for more stupid fucking gun laws.

It's a government conspiracy, they doctored the data so things look worse than they are.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm afraid that you are right.  But in reality, all this shows is that tighter gun laws have disarmed law abiding citizens and made it easier for the criminals.  They will never mention the release of violent offenders has anything to do with it, you know, those that some here think should have their rights restored so that they can legally obtain the gun with which they will become a repeat offender.  We will not hear who is doing a lot of the crime such as illegal aliens and other minorities.  We will not hear about criminal control, but we will hear gun control.

Of course, we will hear the inevitable Bush bashing by the Dems and how their oh so dear Clinton kept these criminals under control with gun laws. [puke]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
When the next Terrorist strike hits, I say it is 50/50 on which way it will go.  Could me severe gun laws, or they could stay the same with tons more people wanting guns. (like after 911.)
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This was the first thing I thought when I read about the crime increase: lets see how long until this is used as an argument for more stupid fucking gun laws.
View Quote

Yep.

You can bet your ballsack that this (the first news report) will be the ONLY time you see this news reported WITHOUT some liberal anti also being quoted as saying our nation has become lax in letting "criminals" have access to guns at gunshows etc.

Quoted:
It's a government conspiracy, they doctored the data so things look worse than they are.
View Quote

They've been "doctoring" the data for years.

For example, they combine "white" and "hispanic" arrestees together when comparing criminal arrest rates between the races.

They simply call that category "whites" and compare it to "blacks". Of course you have to read the fine-print footnotes to see their racist attempts to make "whites" look worse than they really are when compared to blacks.

It's a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
With all due respect [b]Doublefeed[/b], when times are good - antis are scarce. And times have been good for several years.

But when the crime rate rises, they have EMOTION on their side.

FEAR [shock] is the ONLY tool in their toolbox.

And when violent crime goes up - the sheeple will go along with any knee-jerk, quick-fix, feel-good legislation that the liberals will throw at them.

Remember, we don't have the Media to help us spin our side. They do. The Media have been very quiet on the gun issue in recent years simply because they don't want to keep it in the public's attention when the antis are out of favor. (the "bandwagon effect" works both ways and the media know it)

All it takes is another Stockton or Colombine "massacre" together with the nationwide increase in crimes and the antis will once again have the emotional hearts and empty minds of the majority of already fearful masses - as well as the shot-up bodies to air on CNN ad infinitum ad nauseum.

We've had it "relatively" good being gun-owners in recent years - but lean years are certainly coming ahead.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Criminologists are divided over what causes crime rates to increase, though most believe that economics and demographics play crucial roles. Riley and other crime experts said last year's resurgence can be explained at least in part by a stagnant economy.
View Quote
Are you people reading something I am not?  We gave them such a vicious and brutal political beating that they will be hesitant to so much as mouth the word "gun".
I mentioned in another thread that a more scholarly approach to the problem was welcome.  Somebody thought I was being sarcastic.
You people are so fixated on the idea that we are on the political losing end that you can't see that our opponents are scared to touch the subject of gun control.  Only the most obsessed and politically suicidal of people approach it anymore.  We made such a powerful showing and they made such fools of themselves that if they ever recover, it will be a damn miracle.
We have momentum.  How are you going to use it?
View Quote

Amen DoubleFeed! Preach the word!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
... a few more points of interest:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=126634[/url]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The liberal news media has scarced the neurotic general population so much; and in response the politicians have increased funding of various law-enforcement agencies.  But I'm under the impression that some LE agencies are not all that busy, so these LE agencies are looking for things to do, especially high-profile media attention getters to justify their tremendous budgets.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are not stupid gun laws, but valuable tools for law enforcement to use to fight crime and defend your freedom.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I think that the rise in nationwide crime has everything to do with the loss of jobs and the current nationwide unemployment rate.  As more people are unemployed those who stopped being criminals to work (to avoid jail) will now revert to their previous life style.
Of course I could be wrong....
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top