Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 12:49:17 PM EDT
Last year we went Rock Climbing and then Canoing, but this year we're getting really wet!

I have made a few calls, and have setup a whitewater trip at "Ohiopyle State park" in Ohiopyle, PA on Friday morning, with Youghiogheny Outfitters...

Those of you that will be traveling through the area, might want to consider spending the day with a bunch of us, on the water.  

The "Lower Yough" river, is a beginners level rafting/kayaking river ([i]Class III-IV at regular levels[/i]), and is more than offset with the beautiful surrounding mountains and waterfalls.  This river is generally crystal clear, and is loaded with trout!

We'll not be rafting ([i]unless water level increases[/i]), but rather will be taking duckies ([i]inflatable kayaks[/i]) down a section called "The Loop".  This is about 1.75 miles, contains the best 7 rapids on the river, and can be run multiple times if the interest is there.  Duckie rental will only cost $12.50 for the Loop, but since I used to work for this particular company, we can get a couple of Loop trips in, for this fee...

Thursday night, we'll be camping at Ohiopyle State Park, and most likely partying at a local pub in Ohiopyle that is owned by Wilderness Voyagers ([i]local rafting outfitter[/i]).  Immediately after we're done paddling, we'll be headed for the Bulletfest campground, which will be roughly a 3 hour drive ([i]I know the shortcuts[/i])!

We ([i]Urodoji, MedCop and I[/i])are seeking others to partake in our fun.

[b]Ohiopyle State Park:[/b]
[url]http://www.fay-west.com/ohiopyle/[/url]

[b]Youghiogheny Outfitters:[/b]
[url]http://www.youghriver.com[/url]

See ya on the river!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
^ BTT ^
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
wish i could go to any GUN SHOW.. i've never been to one ever.. nothing fun in the south [:(]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn... I only took Fri off as well. Gotta get me more advance notice on this stuff Tim.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I am really looking forward to this!  Should be a ton of fun!

medcop
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm thinking that if we get to the river early enough on Thursday, I will try to buy a Pelican case that is properly sized for my digi-cam, so I can take it on the river with us...  If nothing else, I should be able to borrow one from a buddy over there!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wish i could go to any GUN SHOW.. i've never been to one ever.. nothing fun in the south [:(]
View Quote

I was thinking of trying to get a board shoot going down at the Sherriff's Office range(free, 100 yards) in Houma, LA. I emailed a guy on the board from down there about it, but never heard back, he must have thought I was some sort of crazy right wing internet wacko gun owner or something...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Ed, are you driving in or flying?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool cool. If you were flying in, I was going to offer you a rifle or three to use for the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Somehow me thinks that Ed sells more Guiness than Bennigans does...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys, I'm now leaning towards the possibility of hitting the road late Wednesday evening, and arriving at Ohiopyle Thursday morning, and then boating Thursday afternoon, instead of Friday.

This would allow for more sight seeing and playtime in the mountains, and since we'll be driving all night, we won't be wasting any daylight getting there... Visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" would also be a real good possibility, since it's only a few minutes away from the park!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I'm now leaning towards the possibility of hitting the road late Wednesday evening, and arriving at Ohiopyle Thursday morning, and then boating Thursday afternoon, instead of Friday.

This would allow for more sight seeing and playtime in the mountains, and since we'll be driving all night, we won't be wasting any daylight getting there... Visiting Frank Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" would also be a real good possibility, since it's only a few minutes away from the park!
View Quote

What time are you thinking about Wed. night?  

medcop
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
8:00 - 8:30ish

It will be a 12 hour drive to Ohiopyle, not accounting for fuel stops and coffee breaks, so I figured it best to arrive just in time for breakfast.

If you guys wanted, we could even hit another favorite play spot of mine ([i]Swallow Falls State Park[/i]) in Garret County Maryland.  Friendsville, Maryland is less than 45 minutes from Ohiopyle State Park, and has a couple of great restaurants, that specialize in breakfasts...  [:D]

MedCop: I'll call you and Urodoji this evening, and we can discuss this via a conference call!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#18]
We now have a full blown "Party Trip" on the river, since 2 of my old river buddies are going to be joining us.

These 2 guys are the ones that got me into whitewater back in the 80's...  One guy hired me on as a river photographer, then the other guy taught me how to read and guide rivers.

This will actually be the first time I have ever been able to paddle with the 2 of them at the same time, since they despise each other ([i]bad business dealings in the past[/i]).  Hell, the way I see it, this should make for a really fun trip! [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top