Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 11:58:20 AM EDT
I'm tired of working for some asshole that promises everything but doesn't deliver. I've been thinking of starting up a small business but I don't have any idea what to do. And don't suggest man-whoring. Been there done that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a consulting business in your field of expertise?

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Well what kinds of skills do you have? What type of work have you been doing?

.....and no photoshopping doesn't count, unless you're a graphic arts major!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been working in the printing industry for the last 9 years and I'm ready for a change. As for skills, I can heat up a frozen dinner and wipe my own ass. [:D] I was thinking something in the lines of a web store.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I guy I know has gotten into the graphic layout business at home , between him and his wife they pull in 7K at home as independent contractors . Just check with the IRS since the regs for qualifing to be an independent contractor have gotten strictor and the paperwork hassles have only multiplied .
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Ann Landers kicked off, you can her job!

Mr. Bunghole, the neighbors cat is keeping me up at night what should I do?

Bunghole,"Do you have a 62grain soft tip?"

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking something in the lines of a web store.
View Quote

Well, you could secure a good supply of quality AR parts and ammo and get a large amount of business from us.

-FOTBR

(and because I was the first to suggest this wonderful, if somewhat obvious, idea; I should get some free stuff [:D] )
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm tired of working for some asshole that promises everything but doesn't deliver. I've been thinking of starting up a small business but I don't have any idea what to do. And don't suggest man-whoring. Been there done that.
View Quote

Here is my take. You must be in the pre-press area. That sucks, because every salesman brings in jobs from everyhere. Very few are really "Output Ready" and you spend a lot of time fixing stuff. Wht not take your skills to the customers. Ad agencies etc... need someone to show them how to really prepare their files to avoid alteration charges. Every time some art director dicides to push the envelope for the next project, you can step in to smooth the way. Either that or move into sales. You allready speak the lingo & will be better as a resource to your clients with your desk top experience. I free-lance in this area myself.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You must be in the pre-press area.
View Quote

How did you figure that out? How is the money from consulting?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You must be in the pre-press area.
View Quote

How did you figure that out? How is the money from consulting?
View Quote

Hmmmmm, let's see. Bunghole is a photoshop wizard & in the printing field. That removed hand work in the bindery from the equation....
I free-lance in the sales side. I have done most of the jobs in a print shop, but realized the money was "up-front". I hate ink under my nails, and can't stand to be tied to a work area. I have etsimated, done CSR (horible job) & been a salesman. I am currently on the "dark side" as a buyer. Look in the job jacket & get some names & numbers of the clients. Make up a list of all those folks & make a few calls. If you want to bounce idea's off me, do so. You will have to get up the ladder at the ad agencies to get work, as the art directors won't want to let their boss know that they SUCK and cost them money.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Pimp is what comes to mind...its an "honorable" profession and you deal in cash. You could be the AR-15.com Pimp, just remember
CASH IS KING [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you one of those copy guys at Kinkos?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top