Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 5:05:56 AM EDT
I'm finally breaking down and buying one.  Tired of watching them on the computer.

Here's what I want: Single player with remote, quality construction/reliable. Don't yet have a home theater set-up, but will probably get something in the next year or so.
It doesn't have to be cutting edge technology, but ought to have the features that will keep it from being obsolete within the next few years.
Some of you guys are audiophiles and have great systems.  I can appreciate same, but don't want to devote that amount of resources into the project.
A simple, easy to use, reliable player that has the really important features will fit the bill.  Thanks in advance, SENECA.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the best DVD player investment you can buy would be an XBox. Halo and Outlaw Golf are the shit and for $200 bucks now you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Really?  You can play movies on the XBox?  I thought they were only for games.
I've got plenty of games for my computer, not sure if I want to duplicate.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  
Thanks for replying.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Get one that plays multiple discs (three disc carousel set up), and CD's/MP3's. Many DVD's come with two discs. Or you can have a movie marathon with the single disc type. That way you won't have to get off your ass to change discs. It's great if you maroon yourself on the Lazy Boy for the day. They should build recliners with a cooler and a toilet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should build recliners with a cooler and a toilet.
View Quote
You can get 'em with an ice chest built into one arm-no potty as far as I know, though.
View Quote

Does anyone else see an opportunity here?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, CD/DVD/MP3 capability is a plus, alright.

As for the recliner options, it Depends.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really?  You can play movies on the XBox?  I thought they were only for games.
I've got plenty of games for my computer, not sure if I want to duplicate.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  
Thanks for replying.
View Quote

Yep, the XBox can play games, CDs & DVDs. In order to play DVDs you have to buy an extra $30 remote control that comes with a photoeye adapter that plugs into any of the controller ports. So for $230 you get the best gaming system & DVD/CD player. I watched Blackhawk Down on my XBox just last night.

As soon as I bought it I gave my old DVD player to my 4 year old daughter so she can watch her own "movies on CD". [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Senaca,
     Check out the Pioneer line of DVD players.  They have been top rated in home theater magazines for the past several years.  I'm not sure what the current top line model number is I think DV353 and but they don't cost much $200 or less.  Stay away from Panasonic DVD's, JVC, and Onkyo.   Onkyo make great receivers but they have had numerous problems with their DVD players.  Also, if your going to get a home theater receiver with DTS/Dolby Digital decoding then you do not need to get a DVD player that has that.  Most quality receivers do a better job decoding than do DVD players.  So getting one without the decoding will keep the cost down, remember its just a transport.  Sony DVD players are also okay but normally cost more.  Check out Cruthfield.com to get an idea.  Also, they have Denon DVD players, but I am not familier with them, although their CD carousels are outstanding as well as their receivers.    
Bill
Also check out Pioneer DV440.  Go to audioreview.com and see the ratings.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that if you decide to go with Xbox or PS2 as a DVD player, these units will not play video CD's. DVD and video CD are different formats, but just about all regular DVD players will play the video CD format as well. Most video CD's are music stuff (that I've seen) so it may not matter to you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Seneca,
   Are you wanting a real player or a playtoy.  If your planning on building a home theater system then for god sakes dont get the PS2 or other to do this.  Get a real player.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Toshiba DVD player that is about 3 years old or so.. anyway, I'm kinda looking for a 'new' one.. I have a home theater system but am unable to use it to it's maximum potential... the dvd player is the weakest link!

stuff I want now, after having my present player:

Changer, 3 or more would be nice.

DTS decode

MP3 capability (up to about 10hrs of music on 1 cd!)

Picture disk capability would be nice, that way you can share all your pictures and you dont have to be near a compurter to do so!

For future expandability, see if you can find one with the following features in addition to the standard RCA audio and video outputs:

Digital out (Coax & Fiber Optic)
Composite Video (or is it "Component" video..I cant remember)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top