Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 10:47:54 PM EDT
Texans with Concealed-Weapons Permits Arrested for Crimes

6/18/2002

In the first five years that the concealed-weapons law was in effect in Texas, 5,314 of the 218,661 people holding concealed-weapons permits were arrested for various crimes, the Associated Press reported June 12.

The study, released by the Washington-based Violence Policy Center, was intended to counter claims by gun advocates that crime rates dropped after passage of concealed-weapons legislation.

"License-holders are committing crimes, not preventing them," said Karen Brock, an analyst with the center.

The gun-control group released the study in Ohio because the state legislature is considering a proposal to allow residents to carry concealed guns.

[url]enews.millionmommarch.org/plugin.jtml?siteID=MMM&p=1&Tab=News&Object_ID=551840[/url]

Expect that "study" to become major ammunition for the next couple of years.

BTW, here is an excerp from the study:

Supporters of “shall issue” concealed carry laws maintain that only “lawabiding citizens” apply for and receive concealed handgun licenses. At an April 18, 1996, press conference in Dallas, then-National Rifle Association (NRA) chief lobbyist Tanya Metaksa asserted, “As we get more information about right-to-carry, our point is made again and again....People who get permits in states which fave fair right-tocarry laws are law-abiding, upstanding community leaders who merely seek to exercise their right to self-defense.” Clearly this is not the case. As shown in news articles and in the VPC’s License to Kill studies, concealed handgun license holders are arrested for a multitude of offenses, including violent crimes such as murder, kidnapping, and sexual assault. Most concealed carry states keep information on the crimes committed by their concealed carry license holders hidden. This does not mean that crimes do not occur. As illustrated by the few states that have “shall issue” concealed carry and have had their concealed carry programs (however briefly)examined, concealed carry license holders are not the “upstanding community leaders” that pro-gun advocates promised. Allowing the public access to the information necessary to evaluate a concealed carry program is the minimum that a state should do when overseeing a program that involves the use of lethal force.
View Quote

So, according to this report Texas CCW holders are not upstanding citizens. Sounds like fighting words to me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
And how many of them were prosecuted for crimes?  I'll bet it's a tad lower.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd also like to see the statistics for police officers for that same time period.  Or even MMM members.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
In the year 2000, Texas had 4956 convicted crimes per 100,000 population.  That's 4.9%.  Even if the number mentioned for CCW holders is convictions, then it still means that CCW holders have about half (2.43%) the average crime rate.  This study doesn't mention violent crimes, the only crime into which a CCW should make any difference, nor does it mention multiple offenders, or even convictions.  The numbers they came up with, which were biased due to the group collecting them (Violence Policy Center), had to be manipulated and twisted around to make them seem more sinister.  

I wouldn't worry too much about that study.  If I can knock a mile wide hole in it that easily, then it probably won't be to useful to them.  Besides, it tries to appeal to logic, whereas organizations like the MMM flourish on uncontrolled emotions (Oh the Humanity!  Think of the Children!, etc).  If anyone looking at this study even took the time to look at some figures published by the state on crime rates, and tried to look objectively at the comparison, then they'd see how stupid it is.  However, they'll just bleat on ("Four legs good, Two legs bad!"), just like they always have.  Status quo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
BTT!
Fascinating.
Didn't they go bankrupt? Guess I'll have to order more "free" material from them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm a crime rate of 2.4 %???

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
screw those bastards.

we're getting concealed carry and they can kiss my ass.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Weren't they the group that was using space in a hospital for free?
I remember they got in some trouble for using space on the taxpayers dime.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
They were getting free office space in San Francsico for a while, I think at taxpayer expense (city of SF taxes). They got the boot finally.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It's all in how you play the statistics.  Read my sig line.

The problem as I see it is that there is never any follow up to set the record straight and/or provide some context for these bogus claims.

Here's a thought... Of the 5,314 people arrested for various crimes in Texas, a full 100% drank water.  Clearly, water causes crime.  Ban the water!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
screw those bastards.
View Quote

Agreed.

we're getting concealed carry and they can kiss my ass.
View Quote

I hope you are correct. I don't see Taft doing it though...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Two words - Barbara Graham.  The reason we need CCW is because we have to deal with unbalanced psychos like her!

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn those bitches (the MMM and VPC and Brady Bunch) make me want to PUKE.  

[puke]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The stats can be cooked any temperature you desire.  When emotion, rather than logic(the Liberal mind set)reigns, expect all stats to be skewered to their agenda.  I really do get SO tired of constantly having to do battle with these milk-toast, crybaby, whiny, silly-wristed, emotionally stunted, nonsense-spitting, DAMNED ANTI'S!!!  DAMN, MAN!  I'll tell you what I'd like to see:  one day, across this Nation, all gun ownwers just deciding, and acting upon, the notion that ALL laws restricting the posession and carry of weaponry are wrong and illegal.  Really.  Just do what you will.  I'm so tired of having to tiptoe around these silly people and their silly laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top