Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 7:38:42 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what kind of bug this is? Thanks

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid23/pd214b3425daae5804f96db2c90e79c0c/fd9f1bd2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
that is DEFINITELY the kind of bug you dont want to piss off!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, after I see it, its a dead bug.

FOTBR
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#5]
We call 'em EARWIGS.........
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=6][b][red]EARWIG[/size=6][/b][/red]

What do I win??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh Oh,
Thats a gatorasscopperheadrattler bug.
very dangerous
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/earwig.htm[/url]
View Quote

Good link, but why are they called Earwigs?
That link didn't say.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
sgtar15 you win a 12 inch long earwig submarine sandwich, crawling or dead critters, your choice. yum yum  hehehe
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That link didn't say.
View Quote

Because they crawl into your ears while you sleep..very bad.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The crawl into your ear and bore into your brain. Once inside, the long pincer-like protrusions interface with you're neural net, taking control of your mind. You then begin to vote democrat, turn gay, fear guns, and promote the welfare state.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
sgtar15 you win a 12 inch long earwig submarine sandwich, crawling or dead critters, your choice. yum yum  hehehe
View Quote

Is that low in fat??  I'm on a diet.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That link didn't say.
View Quote

Sgtar15
View Quote

Damn! And I thought the 7 eaten spiders a year thing was freaky enough!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks guys for the help. I knew I could find out what this critters was if I posted it's picture here.  Thank again bugaroos
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
thebeekeeper1 thanks , bookmarked.

sgtar15 , moderation is the answer my Goodman.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Earwig aka "Country Cockroach"

These things are all over my area. In the mailbox, under stored wood, pretty much everywhere. Nasty little buggers too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Funny thing is, as a kid I don't ever remember seeing an earwig use those pincers on the twigs we poked them with. Just to be safe, though, we kept our fingers away.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
While out eating at a steak house I was half into my salad when I felt something go in between a tooth. I got up and got a tooth pick and fished out one side of the pair![shock] I didn't get my steak and I don't eat there anymore....yuck! It's still open though!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Earwig;   yea, a few years ago these things came invaded my area (SE Michigan) and reproduced like gangbusters! turned up everwhere! in the lawndry on the line, in the lawn chairs, in every nook & cranny! Generous use of diazinon (sp?) used around the perimiter of the house foundation (3-6ft out) kept them outdoors (mostly). also used elsewhere around the yard in "hiding places".  Sprays for other nooks & crannys (fence). Teach kids to squash 'em. They were strong for a couple of years, but have now backed off and, I suppose, have reached a natural ballance...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That link didn't say.
View Quote

Sgtar15
View Quote

Reminds me of an old Night Gallery episode. Earwig crawls in sleeping mans ear amd starts slowly eating it's way through his brain, causing excruciating pain to the host.
Good news is that it finally made it's way out by way of the guys other ear... bad news was that it was a female and laid eggs in his skull.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Funny thing is, as a kid I don't ever remember seeing an earwig use those pincers on the twigs we poked them with. Just to be safe, though, we kept our fingers away.
View Quote

The pinchers are ovipositors, IIRC. Only females have them? High school biology was a while ago...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That link didn't say.
View Quote

Sgtar15
View Quote

Reminds me of an old Night Gallery episode. Earwig crawls in sleeping mans ear amd starts slowly eating it's way through his brain, causing excruciating pain to the host.
Good news is that it finally made it's way out by way of the guys other ear... bad news was that it was a female and laid eggs in his skull.
View Quote

Night gallery comes on the Mystery premium channel on our digital cable. I saw that one, too.

Scott

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow, I've never seen anything like that [shock]for that I'm thankful. I'm surprised we don’t have them here in S Fla. We have just about every other kind of bug known (and unknown) to man .

The ones we have that Northern transplants usually have the most problems with are the Palmetto bugs. Imagine if you will a three-inch long cockroach that flies.

[:D] A Long, Long, time ago In a High school Far away, a "Friend Of Mine" Was out camping, and while looking for firewood came upon a rotten log with [b]THOUSANDS[/b] of large (3in plus) palmettos. This "friend" collected a shoebox full. The offending insects were Gift-wrapped and placed on the desk of an individual whom many would have agreed was worthy of such revenge.
It [b]WAS NOT[/b] a pretty sight [}:D]
echo6
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow, I've never seen anything like that [shock]for that I'm thankful. I'm surprised we don’t have them here in S Fla. We have just about every other kind of bug known (and unknown) to man .

The ones we have that Northern transplants usually have the most problems with are the Palmetto bugs. Imagine if you will a three-inch long cockroach that flies.

[:D] A Long, Long, time ago In a High school Far away, a "Friend Of Mine" Was out camping, and while looking for firewood came upon a rotten log with [b]THOUSANDS[/b] of large (3in plus) palmettos. This "friend" collected a shoebox full. The offending insects were Gift-wrapped and placed on the desk of an individual whom many would have agreed was worthy of such revenge.
It [b]WAS NOT[/b] a pretty sight [}:D]
echo6
View Quote

[img]http://www.wellspoke.com/Bees/Images-Bees/Bees-RoachWranglin.JPG[/img]

Bees attacking a Florida palmetto bug.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Has anyone actually been pinched by those ugly things?  I haven't, to my knowledge, but did find one in my sleeping bag when I got up once.

These guys are ugly, too.  Not quite life-sized:

[urlhttp://biology.fullerton.edu/orgs/bbww/arthropods/hexapoda/orthopteroids/stenopelmatus.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Has anyone actually been pinched by those ugly things?  I haven't, to my knowledge, but did find one in my sleeping bag when I got up once.

These guys are ugly, too.  Not quite life-sized:

[url]http://biology.fullerton.edu/orgs/bbww/arthropods/hexapoda/orthopteroids/stenopelmatus.html[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
For several years there were news segments on earwigs every year about this time. They are European earwigs, accidently released into the US in the mid to late 70's, IIRC. Supposed to be harmless and do not crawl in your ear. In my area their numbers seemed to peak in the late 80's, with a slow but steady decline ever since. When I used to work nights, I would come home every morning at about 8 to find dozens of them that needed killing. They would be everywhere and nothing seemed to prevent them from finding their way indoors. They don't start appearing until mid to late June, at least in northeast Illinois. Their numbers have declined so much in my area, that I only see a handful in a season.

As an interesting sidebar, earwigs love marigolds, and for a couple of years I couldn't figure out why all my marigolds were dying, when I normally had huge healthy plants.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Nothing, no insect or Earthly lifeform compares to the Potato Bug. Things nightmares are made of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We call 'em EARWIGS.........
View Quote
                                            There`s lots of them around here......harmless.......we just STEP ON THEM............[smash]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top