Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2002 10:40:54 AM EDT
By CHRISTOPHER NEWTON
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (June 21) - The FBI is advising law enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for terrorists who possibly are plotting to use fuel tankers in attacks against Jewish neighborhoods and synagogues, a federal law enforcement official said.

This official, who asked not to be identified, said the warning was sent out to local police agencies Friday.

Another official, also speaking on grounds of anonymity, said the warning was not based on a specific threat, but on interviews with captured al-Qaida and Taliban fighters who indicated such a plot had been discussed. The interviews with detainees did not reveal a target city or time, this official said.

''Even if unconfirmed, we analyze incoming information as quickly as possible and if we think there is any chance it could be helpful, we make the decision to send it,'' one official said.

The official said the advisory was sent across the National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, an electronic system that allows the FBI to send alerts or messages to police in all 50 states simultaneously.

The Homeland Security office approved the message before it was sent, according to the official. The FBI's 56 field offices also were made aware of the advisory.
View Quote

Well this IS the kind of shit they pull overseas. But why do I get the strange feeling that the prisoners are just telling us anything they can think up at the moment?

Thing is, can we afford to NOT listen to them?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
First this, now someone tries to buy an ambulance......great.  I'm ready for the profiling bit to start taking effect anytime now....
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets not forget about the stealing of utility company vehicles too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The ADL/SPLC will point the finger back at right-wing gun owners. Hell it always does wonders for their fund drives.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I voiced my concerns starting September 12th to my Congress-Critters, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld, and others about just such an action. I pointed out in a letter that I compiled a month or so later that many terrorist acts are thwarted by the lowly-citizen and that they need to trust US with better means to protect ourselves and our nations.... such as reciprocal CCW and a channel on television that deals with things to look out for and suggested action(s).
It would be all too easy to camp out at a truck stop and hijack a rig, be it a tanker or even a freight trailer, and use it for ill-will.
What good is it to notify all the REACTIONary forces (LEOs)and not those on the FRONTLINE (truckers, citizens)?????
We need to get SERIOUS about Homeland Defense, like, yesterday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top