Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 10:12:49 AM EDT

An Oklahoma City woman said another motorist threatened her this week because of a political bumper sticker on her car.

Brianna Herz's car has a sticker with an [b]upside down U.S. flag that shows Sept. 11 with a question mark beside it. [/b]

Herz told police that she was driving home earlier this week when a man saw the flag and began chasing her in his truck.

The man started grabbing something beneath his seat and Herz said she got scared.

"So I pick up my cell phone and, of course, the battery is run down," she said. "So, I'm acting like I’m calling 911 and pulls a gun over his left arm with the right hand and points it at me."

The man eventually drove away without firing a shot, Herz said.

Herz said she understands that some people might not like the upside down flag, but said she has the right to express her opinion.

Police are searching for a man in his late 40s to early 50s with a graying beard. He was driving a silver 1999 Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck, Herz said.
----------------------------

Her sticker pisses me off too but not to the point of pulling a gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I detest the message that the woman's bumper sticker conveys, but I would fight to the death for her right to display it.  If freedom of speach means anything, it means the freedom to say unpopular things.  The best response to something like this offensive bumper sticker is to exercise your own right of freedom of speach to display your feelings, and/or to try to convince her by reasoned argument that she is mistaken in her beliefs.  It only hurts all gun owners when someone responds to offensive speach by threatening the speaker with a gun.  It plays into the liberal's depiction of us as
"gun nuts".
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll fight for her right to display it. But I won't fight for her. She has the right to say what she wants. She also must suffer the consequences of what she says.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Well this further proves that I'm a slow individual.

I don't fully understand from the description what her bumper sticker is saying.

Upside down flag, sept 11, and a question mark.

Ummm ok, someone please explain.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]
...devils advocate....

Is not the upside down flag an acceptable means of declaring the nation is in turmoil????

Is not the nation in a state of turmoil since Sept. 11???

She prolly means it to say she hates America, but I believe an upside down Stars and Stripes is an acceptable practice under the rules of heraldry. (or maybe the upside down thing is only for gov'ts)

ANyone???

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
To display a firearm in a rude and threatening manner is a FELONY in most states.

To display a firearm without legal provocation is terminally stupid.

To display a firearm without using it, will someday cause the person, displaying the firearm, to wear it as a painful ANAL adornment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#8]
OK so now I exactly what the upside down flag means.

But is that ladies bumper sticker implying that we are not in distress?

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course he should not have brandished his weapon.  However his emotion is certainly understanable.  I hope the cops don't look for him too hard.

As far as the upside down flag, I believe it was originally used as a matter of distress, but common usage of it now is as a derogatory symbol of our country.  and in the case of that bumper sticker I'm pretty certain that it's very derogatory.  Sure the woman has a right to display it.  I just wish her car would run off the road and hit a coule of trees.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Better that than to have someone chase you in your vehicle and wave a cell phone at you, only to discover that you firearm doesn't work.  How stressful would that be?   [;D]

-White Horse
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
You know, this brings up a good point.

I'm tired of people thinking they are an american badass because they own a firearm.

It seems alot of irresponsible gun owners get satisfaction in displaying that they have a firearm and making the other person scared.

I thought firearms were created to make man equal?

This leads into the arguemnt of...

DON'T PULL OUT A WEAPON UNLESS YOUR GOING TO USE IT!!!!

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
What da'ya wanna bet that bitch doesn't even own a flag to display on holidays......

even money.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Not devil's advocate....can anyone honestly say that with the new "laws and restrictions" that are daily diluting the BOR that amerika is not in a state of distress?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#14]
At least it wasn't a NAMBLA bumper sticker.  However, I don't think her car paint will survive very long if she keeps it on there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The first to present his story sounds right, until another comes forward to testify. I'll not stick up for the actions the man allegedly commited, but we only have the story of someone with an axe to grind. Perhaps it was SHE who was upset at HIS bumper sticker and made the whole thing up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm tired of people thinking they are an american badass because they own a firearm.

It seems alot of irresponsible gun owners get satisfaction in displaying that they have a firearm and making the other person scared.

DON'T PULL OUT A WEAPON UNLESS YOUR GOING TO USE IT!!
View Quote

YA !! good point!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I detest the message that the woman's bumper sticker conveys, but I would fight to the death for her right to display it.
View Quote
Was this guy a government official?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If the facts presented are correct:

Woman - idiot

Man - Much bigger idiot.

Ladies and Gents, people like this guy are one reason people want to take away our guns, and truthfully, in this case, I can't blame them. I personally don't want any jackass who can be that stupid to own firearms.

A bumper sticker???
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#22]
 As a former Marine, i,m suprised none of you deck apes know what an upside down flag means. Its a sign of distress. any boater can turn his flag upside down and your susposed to render aid. And we are distressed rite now. but payback is Hell.
      ammo1015 (call sign Lease Breaker)
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Snif, snif...

I'm getting the faintes whiff of...

[size=6]BULLSHIT[/size=6]

Something's not right about this "story."
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

DON'T PULL OUT A WEAPON UNLESS YOUR GOING TO USE IT!!!!
View Quote

Well, when they catch him, he won't get to "display it" much longer!
I agree - that guy is a knob!
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The four letter word I am thinking of that describes that woman is unspeakable
View Quote

My first thought was l-i-a-r. Just my gut.

Convenient that the cel phone's battery was down just enough, just at that particular moment, to preclude the recording of a 9-1-1 call of said event. And I don't know many people who don't keep their cigarette lighter adaptors plugged in, ready to be used. So as it is now, it's just someone telling a tale.

And if the man just "drove away" - and there were no other motorists who saw this incident, that says there was probably not much traffic around. Therefore, easier to get an unobstructed look at a license plate. And the guy would be in custody now if even a [i]partial[/i] plate had been seen.

You can dig up numerous stories of faked incidents like these, and until we get a follow-up report about her picking a guy out of a lineup who owns the same truck and pistol, I'll remain skeptical.

But if it's true, the guy's a menace, and should get the book thrown at him. Not to mention his gun permanently lodged up his tailpipe.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Like a good liberal, she had a cell phone to protect her from all eventualities.
Like a STUPID liberal, she let the battery die.
How hard it is to plug in a cell phone?
View Quote

Not sure, but you seem to feel that cell phones are somehow associated with liberals?  Never have heard that connection before.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#27]
While I find the implications of the sticker offensive, the idiot who brandished a weapon in response is a dangerous whacko and not someone this site or anyone on it should waste too much time sympathizing with.  People like that make us all look like loonies.

That of course is assuming the account is true, but lacking any other information to the contrary, I will assume it is.   I've seen people act that stupid before.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Snif, snif...

I'm getting the faintes whiff of...

[size=6]BULLSHIT[/size=6]

Something's not right about this "story."
View Quote

I agree, I aint buying it.  Pretty vauge description of vehicle and all.  Just doesn't smell right IMHO.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 As a former Marine, i,m suprised none of you deck apes know what an upside down flag means. Its a sign of distress. any boater can turn his flag upside down and your susposed to render aid. And we are distressed rite now. but payback is Hell.
      ammo1015 (call sign Lease Breaker)
View Quote
We all know what an upside down flag means.  The problem is that it is being used not as a sign of distress, but as a sign of protest against the current administration, and secondarily, the war.  
View Quote

war?
what war?
i though we were stomping roaches!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Deck Apes............LOL that's funny.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Our country IS in a state of distress and up-heaval brought upon political correctness and abandonment of responsibility for personal actions and those who perpetuate it. As a symbol of my personal disatisfaction I take the barely noticable step of buying US flag stamps and putting them on all my mail upside down. It's not much but it is my personal statement.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I dont believe it does. I do it to hopefully make people think more about the direction of the country, if they even notice and understand it.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I detest the message that the woman's bumper sticker conveys, but I would fight to the death for her right to display it.  If freedom of speach means anything, it means the freedom to say unpopular things.  The best response to something like this offensive bumper sticker is to exercise your own right of freedom of speach to display your feelings, and/or to try to convince her by reasoned argument that she is mistaken in her beliefs.  It only hurts all gun owners when someone responds to offensive speach by threatening the speaker with a gun.  It plays into the liberal's depiction of us as
"gun nuts".
View Quote
Maybe that was her intention.  Tell a story like this to decry the 'gun nuts'.  Maybe all this never happened.  For pete's sake, she knew the year of the pickup, which most of us can't because S10s look pretty much the same for several years at a time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#38]
www.osbi.state.ok.us
This is where you may read about the OKLA. Self Defense Act. (CCW)

I think she is just trying to bring attention to her cause.  What ever that is.

We should give out "stupid person on board" stickers for people like her.

But I respect her right to express herself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I am in full agreement with Sweep on this.

The way it looks to me she might have been just blaming the current administration for the attack, and maybe stating that she though that the government knew in advance about it.  This has been discussed on some gun and Patriot forums. Plus some Patriots fly the flag upside down to show that our country is in deep trouble.  So this woman might just be one of us you know pro freedom and does not trust the government.  It seems some people on this forum are a little too quick to condemn another person. We need to know what the bumper sticker means before we start stoning her.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
The stars an stripes upside down with a ? beside it. Is that asking if we're in distress or questioning the notion that we're in distress?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Like a good liberal, she had a cell phone to protect her from all eventualities.
View Quote

EXCUSE ME???
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It seems some people on this forum are a little too quick to condemn another person. We need to know what the bumper sticker means before we start stoning her.
View Quote

What are you talking about? WE ARE AT WAR! If that guy had shot and killed the woman he would have been completely justified in protecting us from a potential domestic terrorist.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell, for all we know the guy might not even have had a gun.  What better way to get the cops to chase someone down than to tell them, "man with a gun"?

That bitch deserves what she get's for displaying her anti-whatever message.  I shed no tear for her stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The four letter word I am thinking of that describes that woman is unspeakable
View Quote

My first thought was l-i-a-r. Just my gut.

Convenient that the cel phone's battery was down just enough, just at that particular moment, to preclude the recording of a 9-1-1 call of said event. And I don't know many people who don't keep their cigarette lighter adaptors plugged in, ready to be used. So as it is now, it's just someone telling a tale.

And if the man just "drove away" - and there were no other motorists who saw this incident, that says there was probably not much traffic around. Therefore, easier to get an unobstructed look at a license plate. And the guy would be in custody now if even a [i]partial[/i] plate had been seen.

You can dig up numerous stories of faked incidents like these, and until we get a follow-up report about her picking a guy out of a lineup who owns the same truck and pistol, I'll remain skeptical.

But if it's true, the guy's a menace, and should get the book thrown at him. Not to mention his gun permanently lodged up his tailpipe.

View Quote

You could be right, she might be one of the more rabid anti-gunners trying to prove a point.  The worst part is, that if she is pressed , as you otherwise correctly suggest, she might pick some innocent guy, just to be able to "identify" the perp.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Good thing, she didn't try that shit in Florida --

776.08  Forcible felony.--[red]"Forcible felony" means treason[/red]; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 4, ch. 75-298; s. 289, ch. 79-400; s. 5, ch. 93-212; s. 10, ch. 95-195.
View Quote

776.012  Use of force in defense of person.--A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. [red]However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary[/red] to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or [red]to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.[/red]

History.--s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1188, ch. 97-102.
View Quote

I just wish the politicos would read up on this and let us start hunting traitors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Or, take her out and introduce her to some of the sporting activities available, such as water-skiing (though some might call it "trolling for alligators").
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Clearly this story & this woman are horseshit. She wants her 15 minutes of fame & she got it.

But I have wondered if indeed this guy didn't actually point a CAMERA at her rather than a firearm? Rememebr the news story a while back about the guy up on a roof with a telephoto lens & some fruitcake woman called in a sniper call?

I also strongly second this nutcake's ability to know the year, make & model of the truck but NOT the tag #?  Puh-leeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top