Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 12:17:05 AM EDT
Or, the Boring Identity.  Whatever.  In any case, saw it today, and my recently unemployed cohort and I laughed at a few parts.  

Besides the fact that matt damon seems to be against retaining, or using a gun if necessary, there were a few mis-steps and faux paux worth noting.  

In the embassy, the marines are handing out Dissipator style rifles.....flat tops....without optics......or sights.  
Now, I'm not one to disparage Marine marksmanship, but even at CQB distances, that can't do good things for the aim.  

Also, while in the grass field with his former co-worker, the co-worker strips a silencer from his rifle, AND the optics...to be left without any sighting mechanism (that I could tell).  Er, yeah.....that's freakin' brilliant!!!

Lastly, I dunno who shot him and with what, but the bullet wounds he received that the ship's doctor was inspecting seemed to be from a large caliber pistol.  And there was about .25" of penetration from them, through his wetsuit.  Like he was hit with a 50AE with half a load of powder or less.  Maybe it was black powder cap and ball pistol.  

Anyway.   Just my nitpicks.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the movie was just fair.

actually, the guy stripped the rifle so it can't be used to hunt him as he goes after Damon with the pistol.

Maybe you should post a spoiler warning.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I really liked that the SIG rifle (the sniper rifle used in the field sequence)was not an evil preban, as it had a slip off suppressor (it just slid off), and no flash suppressor!

Oh, those were special shallow penetration, quick healing bullets!

Nice call on the US Marine Bushy Dissipators, and tons of flat tops with out sights or optics.
[whacko]
Other than that, I liked it...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
actually, the guy stripped the rifle so it can't be used to hunt him as he goes after Damon with the pistol.
View Quote

Hm.  Didn't take it like that.  Perhaps.  Of course, if they'd showed him pulling the bolt, that would have been a more realistic way of preventing the rifle's use instead of merely cosmetic things.  Like I said, nitpicking.  Glad I saw it on matinee.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I too disagree about the rifle, I prefer to see it as a continuity error.

I heard one theory that Bourne and the other "activated" solos were actually robots. Makes a certain amount of sense especially when you consider the incredible damage they took and their Matrix-like reflexes.

Also the villain calls them 30 million dollar weapons.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really liked that the SIG rifle (the sniper rifle used in the field sequence)was not an evil preban, as it had a slip off suppressor (it just slid off), and no flash suppressor!
View Quote

Could someone elaborate on that rifle?
I was wondering what it was??

Was Damon's  primary pistol one of those new Berettas ?

I haven't read the book but enjoyed the movie.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It was one of the SIG SG 550 series.  I'm not sure of the exact model designation but I'm pretty positive it was not the dedicated sniper model produced by SIG.

I kinda liked the movie and am not about to complain considering I've never watched a movie without mistakes.  I even spotted quite a few in Black Hawk Down.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
liked it...

SInce there is a [red]spoiler[/red] warning...

He keep getting rid of the handguns cause he didnt know he was a killer... actually...he tried hard as hell to distance himself from his killer past...

I didnt see the refuseal to hold a weapon for more than 2 sec's as anti-gun at all.. he was fighting himself inside from what he did/did not do..
and yes the embassy part was a let down ,, that some one would let that slip by...

for those that will complain that we are saying to much about the movie... title has a spolier warning .. so keep it to your self..
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
In the book, he only got rid of handguns when they were empty.

But, then again, that's going to be a problem.  I read the book.

Oh, well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I looked at it from a logical standpoint. He doesn't know who he is, where he comes from, what his occupation is, nothing. Considering this, would you walk into places like a private swiss bank, or a US embassy, with a 'concealed weapon'? For a lot of the situations, before he had a grip on who and what he was, he was playing it safe.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked at it from an even more logical standpoint.[;)]  There was a pistol in the safety deposit box, which was placed before the amnesia when he knew (more of) what the score was.  Therefore I would presume that the pistol was there for good reason and should have been taken instead of left behind.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, in the movie he wakes up shot twice (do they make Kevlar scuba suits?) with a bank account in his thigh.  He gets woken up by a couple cops, kicks their butt, takes one of their guns and then drops it...not in his best interest to carry I assume in case he gets stopped.

Then he is at a bank, sees a gun, unsure why there is one, with a lot of money and multiple ID's/Passports...also not in his best interest to carry a gun.  Same went for the Embassy...why give the Marines a reason to shoot him?

In fact it isn't until he finds out what he is or at least was the he decides carrying a gun (and the shotgun) would be an idea...and that wasn't until near the end where before that he found out he was in the shipping business (so he thought).

Overall I thought it was a good movie...I guess its debatable on why he did or did not or should've or should not have carried but still I thought Damon did a good job.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#13]
If he was so well trained I'd believe that he has at least some idea of how to conceal a pistol.  Might come in useful especially after goons of all sorts come streaming out of the walls wherever you go....

someone who just saw the movie also agreed the rifle takedown was quite odd, since the bad guy still tried to use it post-silencer/scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top