Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 5:54:01 PM EDT
I've been trying to write a program and I can't get the friggen thing to work if it would save my life. If someone can help me out, there are free USGI mags involved. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Write a program that will allow the user to enter a name, NAID number and two test scores from the form.  Score this information in parallel arrays.  Use a command button to have the user indicate to the program that the information should be stored (an Add button).  You will not have more than 10 students and their information to store.  The program should not allow info for more than 10 students to be entered and should tell the user tried to add the information for an 11th student’s.

You will also need a control on the form for output.  This control will be used by all of the following program options.  This control should probably take up a fair amount of space so we can be sure to see the information on screen.  Each of the following program options should be run by clicking on a command button.

Display the name, NAID number, average and letter grade for all the students

You must use a function to determine the average. You must use a function to determine the letter grade

Display the high score from the first test and the student(s) with that score.

Display the highest average score of the two tests and the student(s) with that average. You must use a function to determine the average

Display the lowest average score of the two tests and the student(s) with that average. You must use a function to determine the average

Make sure that the output is visible in the output control (whatever type of control it is).  Meaning, maybe you need to clear/empty the output control before each program option is run.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! [whacko]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can convince me that this isn't a homework assignment, I'd be happy to help you out.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What exactly is your problem Marine Grunt..

Where exactly is the problem,

Is it syntax, logic, program flow??  Be more specific..

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you can convince me that this isn't a homework assignment, I'd be happy to help you out.  
View Quote

It is a homework assignment. I don't want anyone to do this for me, I just need TREMENDOUS help, becuase I am a Visual Basic retard. I can't beleive this class is required for Aviation.

I'll post my code in a few minutes to see if you guys can give any tips............
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my code so far, or lack there of. I'm not getting any errors, it's just not working. The only thing I get in the pic box is:
"NAID    NAME    SCORE    GRADE   DIFF"

Option Explicit
Const maxStudents As Integer = 10
Dim numStudents As Integer
Dim Score1(1 To maxStudents) As Integer
Dim Scores2(1 To maxStudents) As Integer
Dim studentNames(1 To maxStudents) As String
Dim average As Single
Dim NAID As Integer

Private Sub cmdadd_Click()

If (txtname.Text = "") Then
       MsgBox "Please Enter Name"
   ElseIf (txtnaid = "") Then
       MsgBox "Please Enter NAID"
   ElseIf (txtscore1.Text = "") Then
       MsgBox "Please Enter First Score"
   ElseIf (txtscore2.Text = "") Then
       MsgBox "Please Enter Second Score"
   ElseIf (numStudents < maxStudents) Then
           numStudents = numStudents + 1
           If numStudents = maxStudents Then
               cmdadd.Enabled = False
           End If
           studentNames(numStudents) = txtname.Text
           txtname.Text = ""
           txtnaid.Text = ""
           txtscore1.Text = ""
           txtscore2.Text = ""
           txtname.SetFocus

End If

End Sub

Private Function HighestFirstScore()
Dim x As Integer, maxValue As Integer, maxIndex As Integer
Dim student As String

maxValue = Score1(1)
maxIndex = 1
For x = 1 To numStudents
   If (Score1(x) > maxValue) Then
   maxValue = Score1(x)
   maxIndex = x
   End If
Next x
student = studentNames(maxIndex)

picDisplay.Print "Student with the highest score is " & student; "with a score of "; maxValue
End Sub

Private Function HighestAverageScore()
Dim x As Integer, sum As Integer, maxValue As Integer, maxValue As Integer
Dim student As String
For x = 1 To numStudents
   sum = Score1(x) + score2(x)
   Next x
   average(x) = sum(x) / 2
   average(maxIndex) = HighestAverageScore
   picDisplay.Print HighestAverageScore

End Function

Private Function LowestAverageScore()
Dim x As Integer, sum As Integer, minValue As Integer, minValue As Integer
Dim student As String
For x = 1 To numStudents
   sum = Score1(x) + score2(x)
   Next x
   average(x) = sum(x) / 2
   average(minIndex) = LowestAverageScore
   picDisplay.Print "The lowest average score was " & LowestAverageScore
End Function

Private Sub cmdDisplay_Click()
picDisplay.Print
picDisplay.Print "NAID", "Name", "Score", "Grade", "Diff"

End Sub

Private Function LetterGrade(inscore As Integer) As String

If (inscore >= 90) Then
   LetterGrade = "A"
ElseIf (inscore >= 80) Then
   LetterGrade = "B"
ElseIf (inscore >= 70) Then
   LetterGrade = "C"
ElseIf (inscore >= 60) Then
   LetterGrade = "D"
Else
   LetterGrade = "F"
End If

End Function

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
where does your code assign the inputed values to the storage arrays? Also where does it call your average and high/low functions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever you end up with, send it to me, part of my job is to break programmers work. [}:D]

SSD
(SQL interface?)
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
where does your code assign the inputed values to the storage arrays? Also where does it call your average and high/low functions?
View Quote

I think thats what I'm confused about.

SSD- You have mail
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, you have to actually assign the values from the data fields to their appropriate storage array spaces after all the checks on values to make sure they're not empty. If you don't do that then the program does nothing and all it does is cycle through the numbers. Also, you have to call the functions, they don't call themselves.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help. I'm getting a little closer now. I've only been at it for 7 hours now. [stick]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, you may be working harder than you need to be.

First off, you need an array for the averages as well.

Say, Average(1 to maxStudents) as Integer.

Then you need a procedure that computes the averages.  Basically, a for..next loop that assigns average(x) = (score1(x) + score2(x)) / 2.

The high score for test one can be done with a function that has a for..next loop that initializes to maxValue to score(1), then sees if score(x) is greater than maxValue.

Highest average is the same deal, just based off of the average array.

See below for example:

Private Function HighestAverageScore()
Dim x As Integer, maxValue As Integer

maxValue = average(1)
'initializing to the first value
For x = 1 To numStudents
   if maxValue < average(x) then
     maxValue = average(x)
   End if
Next x
HighestAverageScore = maxValue
End Function

Lowest average would be the same function, just switch to a >, and change the name to minValue, etc.

The actual printing can be done in the cmd_click events.  Say, make a button that says Print Highest Average called cmdPrintHigh. All it has to do is say picDisplay.Print "The Highest Average Score is " & HighestAverageScore & "."

Also, your add function needs to store the data in the arrays.

Assign numstudents to zero at the beginning of the program.

inside your add procedure,
just assign the value to the array.
you're already incrementing, so you just say
studentNames(numStudents) = txtname.Text
score1(numstudents) = txtscore1.Text
score2(numStudents) = txtscore2.text

I don't have VB installed presently, so I haven't run the code through any sort of tests, I just offered the VB pseudocode to illustrate what I'm talking about.  Hope I was helpful, and if you have any questions about what I'm talking about, feel free to drop me an email.

Viper Out

Edited to add, that theoretically you should pass any arrays your function will be working on in as parameters... but VB doesn't make you do that (and it's not entirely relevent for beginning level programming).
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
don't worry. I've spent months on assembly programs that didn't work. Sometimes it's just voodoo.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help. I'm getting a little closer now. I've only been at it for 7 hours now. [stick]
View Quote

in the beginning it hurts...

u got mail
SSD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top