Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2011 8:26:55 PM EDT
OK, I know I can get the info from the books, and online etc., but, that information isn't always reflective of current market conditions, and NADA can be outdated by a month. That's why when I sold cars, we used the Black book that came out weekly as a better resource, and it was more in line with what a bank would finance. The car is a very good friend's fiancee's car. I know how he maintains his vehicles, I used to maintain his families cars when they were out of warranty, or for a non warrantied repair, and normal maintanance. He does everything by the book. If the spec sheet says replace the EGR valve at 85,000 it get replaced, needed or not. The car has some front facia damage, but not more than a few hundred dollars, and we have a mutual friend that does that.

2004 Honda 2 door EX
104,000 miles / One owner
Power windows/locks
CD player/cruise control
Alloy wheels

Going by the way I appraised cars when I was selling them.

Exterior condition would be considered fair ( would be excellent if not for the small damage on front spoiler/ scratch and dent free other than that)
Excellent Interior-non smoker- She has kids, but no kid smell and no stains etc.
Excellent Mechanically, everything is up to date with records.

He was going to sell it rather than trade it for another car for her, but knowing my situation, he said he would sell it to me at whatever trade in would be instead of retail. I have to carry about 1200 dollars on my old car onto that loan.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not get into a honda that doesn't require a loan?

I just picked up a 98 accord dx 1 owner 130k for $2500.
No A/C sucks but that's about the only complaint I have.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
hundred thousand mile Honda?
should be  "free to good home"
Just picked up (free) ACURA last month, going to make a race car out of it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

you must be joking.

if it was well maintained and the timing belt was replaced, it's g2g another 100k.

my brother bought an 02 accord in very similar condition earlier this year.

great little car.

OP, I'd offer him $4500 and see what he says.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't live without good a/c, and, anything I get has to be a loan. I'm on a fixed income.
The car books out at just over 5K in that condition from two sources, just wondering if anyone in the know might have a better idea. Some of the info isn't quite right regionally or market wise. It changes weekly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably worth about $3500-4000 cash to me. I have no use for car loans...new or used.

Yes; even though I have nice cars and trucks, I would buy something like this. I get paid $.58 per mile, and normaly put on 15-30K a year, Small efficient cars are very profitable for me, I use them for a few years, keep them maintained and then sell them for $1500-2000.

My Scion TC costs about $.18 a mile (gas,oil,tires,brakes..ect) to operate and is now almost free to me and I have only had it for 8 months.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you must be joking.

if it was well maintained and the timing belt was replaced, it's g2g another 100k.

great little car.

I don't think 2004 even runs an interference engine. I thought they got away from that, so the timing belt wouldn't be as huge of a concern. It would leave you stranded, but wouldn't warp the heads and bend the valves. Had a guy lose one half a block from the shop, cut it off, and coasted in. We pushed it into the bay and got to looking, damn thing bent three valves, and chip a piston. Cost him a rebuild. The car had less than 61,000 miles on it, with a belt recommendation change of 60K. We had another come in the same day. about 70K on it. Warped a head, and had some bent valves. Honda says change it, you better change it, damn things have an expiration date on them like milk or something.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't been able to work in ten years. I have limited funds. Taking care of two homes, can't sell one of them, or rent it out. taking care of a sick kid too. No other income and no help to speak of from the ex. All my savings were spent trying to paying off bills already. I have to get a loan. This guys gonna try his best to get it to me as cheap as he can. I can't allow him to take a big loss on it though, even though he said he would. He's already gonna go less than trade in when he was going to sell it retail.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
$87

Sir James...
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you must be joking.

great little car.

I don't think 2004 even runs an interference engine. I thought they got away from that, so the timing belt wouldn't be as huge of a concern. It would leave you stranded, but wouldn't warp the heads and bend the valves. Had a guy lose one half a block from the shop, cut it off, and coasted in. We pushed it into the bay and got to looking, damn thing bent three valves, and chip a piston. Cost him a rebuild. The car had less than 61,000 miles on it, with a belt recommendation change of 60K. We had another come in the same day. about 70K on it. Warped a head, and had some bent valves. Honda says change it, you better change it, damn things have an expiration date on them like milk or something.

Eh, the original timing belt in my 1995 Honda ST1100 looked fine when I replaced it a couple months ago.  Odo was at 83k, change interval is 86k.  Never heard of one failing.  But then, that is a Honda motorcycle ;)
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Used car pricing is seriously fucked up , plus add in the Toyota/Honda kool-aid mark up

IMO that car is worth about 3K

but no one seems to share that opinion and I see similar cars for sale for 6K+ and people buy them
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It's called perceived value. It is a dominate force in cars, jewelry, homes, and many luxury items. High end clothes are the worst. This same guy and his family had a fine men's clothing store. They had shirts that came of the line with J.C Penny and Belk's, and really fancy stores that were above them in price. The factory just sewed a different label into all of the first run shirts. Those shirts would be priced at say $30 at JC Penny, $40 at Belk's, $50 at Wise Guys ( this guys store ), and all the way up to $80 in the really high end stores. The only difference was that people perceived that there was more value in the high end store's merchandise. All of the companies mentioned paid the same price for the goods, about $12 per shirt. You have to also figure different operating expenses here, but it isn't that much.  Walmart got seconds and overruns. It was Chesterfield Clothing that manufactured them.

If the market bears a certain price, that's what you have to pay.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Free Market at work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh good, you used to be in the business, I don't need to dumb it down then.  ACV is right at $5500, estimated retail is $9000 if its an automatic transmission.  Manual transmission is a $600 deduct.  As per Manheim MMR.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh good, you used to be in the business, I don't need to dumb it down then.  ACV is right at $5500, estimated retail is $9000 if its an automatic transmission.  Manual transmission is a $600 deduct.  As per Manheim MMR.  

i still say offer $4,500.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's the way I booked it out. I was closer to 5K even though. Are you using the deduct for the -1K damage? That damage, but less than 1K took it down for me.

I'm hoping I can get the bank way up over the 5K mark. I have $1400 from a loan that is tied to the title of my old car that I'm gonna have to add. I may be able to sell it, but I won't get but $500 for it. A tree limb of about 10 inches in diameter from a big red oak fell on the damn thing a couple of weeks ago. It has mechanical issues, and the a/c is broke, and the window won't roll all the way up. 2001 Cougar ZN Yellow, 2.5L DOHC, leather etc. $26K new. 180,000 miles.  Not shit now. Neighbor wants it..It'll cost him 1K to get everything perfect on it. So if I sell it I might only be looking at carrying $800-$900. They'll usually go ACV plus 10%. It's a Credit Union, and it's pulled directly from my account every month.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
If you don't have a lot of money, you shouldn't be so willing to overpay just because of "perceived value"  
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 6:40:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you don't have a lot of money, you shouldn't be so willing to overpay just because of "perceived value"  

You reading comprehension is faulty my friend. I'm not overpaying. He's already going to sell me the car for much less than market value to help me out. I've already stated that. My concern is that I( get it cheap enough to carry the loan that I have on my current car.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#19]
It's very minimal damage. It can be fixed for about $200 dollars or less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top