Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 3:49:47 PM EDT
Had a black bear tear up three bird feeders last night. Bent over one inch pipe and tore the feeder off the top. We've had her and the two cubs around for a while. Seems each year they rip shit up. Tore up the lawn and crapped everywhere.

Anyone else have bears in the yard?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#2]
get an electric fence
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Instead of the fence I think I will go with a broom! They hate that!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonder how peanut butter on the bug zapper would do?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You think you got bear problems?

I've got a friend whose uncle lives in Alaska. One time while they were talking on the phone, a great noise was heard. A griz was out on the hot tub bouncing up and down like bears do to amuze themselves. Ripped the shit out of the hot tub and deck.

I'm not sure if the statute of limitations has run out on how the uncle fixed his problem. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
call ranger Smith.

[img]http://www.aristotle.net/~cgsports/yogi7.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Well it was back last night and did more damage. I think it is time for the pump 12 and 1.25 ounce slugs. Nice rug anyone?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well it was back last night and did more damage. I think it is time for the pump 12 and 1.25 ounce slugs. Nice rug anyone?
View Quote

My parents have problems with bear and deer getting into things too...dad shoots them in the ass with rubber .357 bullets
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Any neighbors within earshot?  308 Winchester would work real fine...or maybe the 12ga with slugs.  No days I let some critter tear up my property.

Alternatively, you might want to call whatever you Yankees call animal control...but then the cat's out of the bag so to speak...and your options list just shrank.

I say take 'em out.

Flame suit on....so come on all you lurking PETA weenies, the gauntlet is down!

[;D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any neighbors within earshot?  308 Winchester would work real fine...or maybe the 12ga with slugs.  No days I let some critter tear up my property.

Alternatively, you might want to call whatever you Yankees call animal control...but then the cat's out of the bag so to speak...and your options list just shrank.

I say take 'em out.

Flame suit on....so come on all you lurking PETA weenies, the gauntlet is down!

[;D]
View Quote

Live up in the mountains, in a village of about 800. I think proceeding without the game warden would be in order. My daughter gets home from work and parks right near where this shit is going on. Time to arm her as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#13]
She's got cubs?

Even I would feel bad about killing her.

Go with the game warden to move her or something. Hate to see the cubs without a mommie.

Of course, I would have probably emptied a magazine into her the first night, cause I'm just an a-hole, so what am I saying?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Heck, we have a Bear in the house!

[img]http://www.petenelson.com/Photos/Family%20&%20Friends/Pets/Bear/Bear%2001.jpg[/img]

Ok, so he's a dog, but his name is Bear.  Does that count?  [;)]
View Quote

My aunt had a dog named Bear, it was a Newfoundland, how about that handsome guy/gal??
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Used to at my parents' house in MT.  Black bear decided to camp in a tree.  

"DA BEARS!"
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if a couple of 12 gauge beanbag rounds would make a lasting impression.  They're dang expensive, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Call a game warden..   Some of my family are bears...   #9 birdshot in the backside works on me and my dad...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
hey tony,

check this out!!!

[url]http://www.snopes2.com/photos/deadbear.htm[/url]

saw this last night and read your post today. hope your bear isnt like this one !

ray
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
(AP) PHOENIX, AZ

In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Arizona Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

"We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

"It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.
Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and they smell like pepper."
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SPECTRE%2Fbutkus1a%2Ejpg[/img]

[size=5]DA-BEARS !!![/size=5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Roll a couple of cans of ether(starting fluid) in Bacon grease and throw them out on your porch. When he bites into this he won't be back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
(AP) PHOENIX, AZ

In light of the rising frequency of human - grizzly bear conflicts, the Arizona Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.

"We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

"It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.
Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and they smell like pepper."
View Quote

LMAO! .... I gotta forward that one to my Dad (the Bear fanatic)

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
hey tony,

check this out!!!

[url]http://www.snopes2.com/photos/deadbear.htm[/url]

saw this last night and read your post today. hope your bear isnt like this one !

ray
View Quote

Thanks, Ray. I didn't f@$king sleep last night after looking at that! [:O]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#26]
heres a link about [url=http://www.countrybears.com]Country Bears[/url].... [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#27]

The Caption to go with the Pictures
The attached picture is of a guy who works for the forest service in Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large...large world record Grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm Mag Semi-auto into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The thing was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. It was over one thousand six hundred pounds, 12 feet 6 inches high at the shoulder. It's a world record. The bear had killed a couple of other people. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it. Think about it. This thing on its hind legs could walk up to the average single story house and could look on the roof at eye level."
View Quote

[img]http://www.snopes2.com/photos/graphics/bear.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.snopes2.com/photos/graphics/bearpaw.jpg[/img]

Just goes to show that man isn't always the hunter. Sometimes he is hunted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top