Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 12:19:28 PM EDT
I sweat a lot, and I have for years. It hasn't always been a problem, but it's kinda annoying. Luckily I'm not a stinky sweater.[:)] I'm not overweight or really out of shape, and I even sweat when I'm cold. I start out the day sweating, when I get out of the shower I'm glistening again after I dry off. It runs down my sides and my arms in the daytime, and my forehead is wet as I type this. I've used all types of antiperspirant, but it's no help. My white shirts are mostly ruined, and my dark ones have big salt rings when I get home at night. My body temperature seems to fluctuate a little, but it's not like I've got a fever all the time or anything. My diet is borderline strange, but mainly normal.
What could be causing this?
Is there something I could do to lower my body temp a couple of degrees?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
That is just a sign of you inner GUILT coming out!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You could buy one of those cool suits they use in racing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like you have a busted thermostat.

Have you ever suffered a heat injury?
(Heat Stroke? Heat Cramps? Heat Exhaustion?)

Just like when your car overheats, a heat injury can damage your body's "thermostat".

Or maybe your just one sweaty dude.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have a medical condition.

I also sweat alot.  I take 2-3 extra T-shirts PER DAY to change into as they become soaked.

I also sweat alot at night.  Sheets, pillows, etc soaked every morning.  Even my nighttime T-shirt is soaked to mid chest each night.

I also sweat when others are cold.

ANY stress, even thinking about a program code, will cause me to sweat profusely.  

I have looked on the web, but I have not found anything that is 'exactly' the same symptoms as I have.

Best of Luck, let me know if you find anything.

One thing that seems to help me.  Excercise.  Once I start sweating my sweat keeps going and going for another hour after excercise, then POOF! I feel normal.  No more easy sweating.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Wanna stop sweating?

Stop trying to carry fire on a plane!!!!

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
It's likely a condition called hyperhydrosis, and it is pretty common. I asked my doc about what I could do for it. I lived in Houston at the time, and it was really bad, especially with the heat and humnidity. I was going through 2 or 3 undershirts a day to just maintain the appearance of staying dry. Anyway, the doc told me it was nothing to worry about, and he wrote a script for a topical liquid called Drysol. It's an aluminum based liquid that you apply once every week or two or as needed, and it really worked wonders. I know how much it sucks to be out in a bar or something trying to meet women and you have big, wet salty marks in your underarms. It really zaps your self confidence even if you don't realize it. Unfortunately it is perscription only stuff, so you need to go see the doc to get a script for it, unless you are pretty tight with a pharmicist or something. It won't do anything for areas where you don't apply it, but it will at least save your clothes, and keep your underarms dry. Also, when you get that stuff, it works even better if you trim up the bush under your arms. No need to shave it all out, just cut it shorter. It'll itch a bit for a day or two, but it's not bad. All that hair acts as insulation to keep the warmth going in that area.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies, guys. My hands pretty much stay dry, but it could be Hyper hydrosis just the same. It's not a painful issue, so I've mostly ignored it figuring it'll just go away one day, it hasn't yet.
Most of the people I've met who sweat a lot are overweight or severely out of shape. I get [i]plenty[/i] of exersize, and my 215 pounds is just fine for my 6 foot frame. I drink a lot of water, but that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.
I'll look into that Drysol, revrat. I no longer have a pharmacist "hook-up", but I'll ask the doc about it next time I get a check up. And my "bushes" are trimmed already. I figured there's no point in keeping a fur coat on in my underarms, especially in the AZ summer.[:)]

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Could it be a real hot backpack?[devil]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Could having Scarlett Fever twice break your thermostat?  I always figured I sweat a lot because I'm not thin but I sometimes sweat just sitting at the computer or watching TV doing nothing...and I've never thought of the thermostat thing before.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I just saw on the news people are getting Botox injections to decrease sweating.  It requires several injections into the arm pit area.  It lasts around 6 month to a year.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
TT my friend,think back to when you used to pump iron,was this condition present then?...If not go back to a limbering / areobic / lifting type  daily regime,maybe 1hr a day.I was injured,stopped working out a while and started sweating changing the bed sheets.I'm back working out,break a daily drenching sweat,and am fairly free of it(sweating)otherwise.just my.02
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
... well [b]TREETOP[/b], maybe it's because
you live in [size=6][b][red]ARIZONA[/red][/b][/size=6] !!!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the same excessive sweating problem as TREETOP and the same problems when sleeping that TheREdGoat described. With me, it is also exascerbated after eating my main evening meal.

I am 54, 5'-11'' and weigh 187lbs and nowadays my only exercise is walking. However, even during a strict exercise regime, when I was 44 and got down to 166lbs, it made little difference. I truly believe that my thermostat is set too low and the excessive sweating is my body's constant attempt to drop my temperature to an unrealistically low level. Why that is, I don't know. But I would really like to find a remedy.

Right now, I am sat shirtless on a balcony 200ft above the bay at Zihuatanejo. It is about 80 degrees, but with a cool evening breeze from the land. I also have a 4ft overhead fan at full speed directly above me, yet I still need a heavy towel on the back of my chair to soak up the sweat from my back!

I am sure that the Drysol product that revrat mentioned works – in that it reduces sweating. However, that simply addresses the symptoms, it is not a cure.

The only "good" thing about this "ailment" is that the sweat and heat (I can feel the heat from my chest on my hand 2'' away) I generate keeps my wife warm at night and results in such a high metabolic rate that it probably prevents me from putting on too much weight!
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the same problem Treetop.  I just deal with it by drinking water and trying to stay cool.

Are you on any medications? It may make encourage sweating.

Sucks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
My sweating is not in my armpits.  I sweat ALL over.  

Seriously.  After listening to you guys, it seems like it is alot more pervasive than I thought.

If a room is not sub-68 I am uncomfortable.  Even eating a meal makes me sweat.  

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I sweat a lot, and I have for years. It hasn't always been a problem, but it's kinda annoying. Luckily I'm not a stinky sweater.[:)] I'm not overweight or really out of shape, and I even sweat when I'm cold. I start out the day sweating, when I get out of the shower I'm glistening again after I dry off. It runs down my sides and my arms in the daytime, and my forehead is wet as I type this. I've used all types of antiperspirant, but it's no help. My white shirts are mostly ruined, and my dark ones have big salt rings when I get home at night. My body temperature seems to fluctuate a little, but it's not like I've got a fever all the time or anything. My diet is borderline strange, but mainly normal.
What could be causing this?
Is there something I could do to lower my body temp a couple of degrees?

Thanks.
View Quote

Treetop,you live in Arizona,it's hot their.No,it's damn hot!Stay inside with the AC on.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I lived on the shores of Lake Huron for too many years to believe that this is a climatic disorder
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
TREETOP,

Sounds serious, bra. I think you're gonna die. Can I have your guns when you're no longer with us ?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, I understand it has been going on for quite a while and it may not seem like a gigantic deal because you don't stink or have trouble holding tools, etc.

But why wait until your next checkup?  This is worth dealing with now  -  make an appointment specifically for this.

You never know, this could be a symptom of something else important going on that you would want to have treated right away.  If the doc says it's because you live in Arizona, it might be time to get an independent opinion from another doctor.

By the way, I got one of those butane soldering pencils last week, and it's great.  After I'd put this kit together and it did'nt work, I saw in a different book that you're not supposed to use electric pencils on MOSFET's.  Suppose I zapped it?

Back to your topic - see the doc before long.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top