Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
anyone?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
28 guns or 28 long guns?
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I would need larger, but the price is right. Canon makes a good safe. Buy 2 of them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I love how these safe threads go.

If that's what you can afford great buy it. It's better than nothing.

Someone is going to chime in soon enough to say that any safe that weighs under 2000 pounds and costs less than 5 thousand is garbage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Cabelas has their 24 gun safe for $899. Id say 399 is a good price
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Better than nothing, but not great
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Someone is going to chime in soon enough to say that any safe that weighs under 2000 pounds and costs less than 5 thousand is garbage.

Can't afford anything like that......

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yup...

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]
It'll be just fine if you buy a bigger stronger safe to put it inside of.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe if all 28 guns are Crickets.

ETA- Say hello to my little friend

Compare how other safes achieve their "fire rating."

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know sizes are overstated..... Especially for EBR's

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#13]
electronic locks are nice, but not as reliable as a good S&G manual dial
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Marketing mathematics:

4 man tent = 2 men can fit comfortably

28 gun safe = 14 rifles, still have to move 10 of them to get to the 4 in the back

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Just as an FYI for those on the lookout for a safe, Lowes is going to have this on sale for $297 on Black Friday:

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'll try to pick one up
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Been eyeing this up all morning. I think i am gonna get one of these also. Just picked up a benelli super sport last night. SOOOOO my safe is getting smaller and it was to small two guns ago. Looks ok. Hinges inside and all.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Picked one up this morning, my store had 21 and they sold out in about 5 minutes.  Just have to get it inside now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Wish we had a Menards within driving distance...
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd pass on Cannon.  Stitch welded seams instead of continuous welded.  12 guage steel.  Better than not locking it up at all though.  I guess it just depends on what level of security you're really looking for. But remember you're consolidating all of your valuables into one place for a thief.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd pass on Cannon.  Stitch welded seams instead of continuous welded.  12 guage steel.  Better than not locking it up at all though.  I guess it just depends on what level of security you're really looking for. But remember you're consolidating all of your valuables into one place for a thief.

This is the case it is a great improvement over my cabinet, for the past few months I've been unable to lock up 3 of my guns.

By the way attached to the box was the bill of lading, the cost to Menards was $382 apiece so I feel like I got a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I got one of these Safari safes from Menards on Black Friday too.

After I got home, I put the shelving together and attempted to input my own password into the electronic lock. Well, it doesn't seem to be working. I've followed the instructions and tried everything I could think of to get it to work, but everytime I try something it says "Error". I've become extremely frustrated with it and will be calling Cannon in the morning. If they can't fix the issue, its going back to Menards.

If anyone has any tips on what to do to enter your own password, let me know. Like I said, I've been following the instructions and it hasn't been working. I'm open to any assistance whatsoever.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought one. better than the stack on i was using.

as for programming you pused the rgreen button first then hit # then your code then # again. then the code and # one last time.  if i remember right.  then when you want to enter the safe you still type # code # .

My broher has a much more spendy safe and dosent have the override key  so when his batteried dies he had to have a service guy come drill out the mecanisim  and replace itand the batteries.  his also has a lifetime warranty just like the ones from Menards. i was tempted to et the one fropm cabelas (remington) made by liberty for just under 600 fro blak friday . I am not sure how many were at our store but i am sure there were more tickets then safes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#25]
My only issue with the safe concerns the lack of...support...for 16" barrel rifles.

So there are a few options: 1. Dowels down the barrel. 2. Building up the floor a few inches (long term mag/ammo storage?). 3. Cutting down the center divider a few inches and dropping down the barrel notched shelf.

I'm sure I'm not the only EBR fan that has attempted to overcome the difficulties associated with a Fudd-gun favoring safe. What option works best?...

Two rifles for illustrative purposes...there's certainly more where they came from.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I got one of these Safari safes from Menards on Black Friday too.
After I got home, I put the shelving together and attempted to input my own password into the electronic lock. Well, it doesn't seem to be working. I've followed the instructions and tried everything I could think of to get it to work, but everytime I try something it says "Error". I've become extremely frustrated with it and will be calling Cannon in the morning. If they can't fix the issue, its going back to Menards.
If anyone has any tips on what to do to enter your own password, let me know. Like I said, I've been following the instructions and it hasn't been working. I'm open to any assistance whatsoever.
Thanks!

The lock REQUIRES you to create two access codes. Are you only creating one?

That, and don't forget the pound sign (#) after entering a code less than 8 digits. Once you get the codes set you'll need to hit the # sign before entering your code in order to turn on the keypad as well.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:
My only issue with the safe concerns the lack of...support...for 16" barrel rifles.

So there are a few options: 1. Dowels down the barrel. 2. Building up the floor a few inches (long term mag/ammo storage?). 3. Cutting down the center divider a few inches and dropping down the barrel notched shelf.

I'm sure I'm not the only EBR fan that has attempted to overcome the difficulties associated with a Fudd-gun favoring safe. What option works best?...

Two rifles for illustrative purposes...there's certainly more where they came from.

I have a safe that is set up very similar. What I did was to place shelves in the lowest section. Rifles supported and room at the bottom for small items.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I am not sure how many were at our store but i am sure there were more tickets then safes.

How right you are.   Our store had 22 safes in stock plus 1 display.  They handed out 32 tickets.   (I know this because I talked to the gate guard and some of the workers who did the load outs.)
I paid for the safe, was told I could pick up the safe any time that day.  I left and returned a bit later (I had an appointment to give blood).
Unfortunately, I was the 23rd or 24th person to arrive to the pickup area.  The workers were very nice and apologetic; and were pissed that this happened, directing me to their section manager, "Chris H." who is a lying sack of horse excrement - telling me that it wasn't his fault, that they didn't oversell them and he might special order me one but it would take 8 weeks. I hope "Chris H." gets fired, becuase there are plenty of people in this town that want jobs and won't screw it up as royally as him.
In short, I got my money back at least.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Most anything you buy at a big box store can be defeated relatively quickly by someone who knows what they are doing.  Search Youtube for details.

That said, anything is better than nothing, and most safes will repel the smash and grabs and keep little fingers off your gear. Bolt it down, toss a sheet over it if the plumber or exterminator come by.  

Many people are probably better served with a sub-$1,000 "safe" and an insurance policy than an $8,000 safe and no insurance.  Of course, if you have rare, museum/heirloom-quality stuff, things may be different.  But if that were the case, you wouldn't be shopping sales at the big box store.    

Nothing is burglar proof or fire proof - especially not something two guys can move into your house with some minor grunting.  If thieves have hours to work, such as when you're out at work or on vacation, they'll get in.

It's not a bad deal, buy it.  But it will never be big enough.  28 guns is BS.  It might fit 28 Ruger 10/22 carbines with no optics or mags.  It won't fit 28 ARs.  It won't fit 28 Remington 700s with scopes.  At least not without scarring and marring them.

ETA:  I need to pay closer attention to post dates.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I like mine
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am not sure how many were at our store but i am sure there were more tickets then safes.

How right you are.   Our store had 22 safes in stock plus 1 display.  They handed out 32 tickets.   (I know this because I talked to the gate guard and some of the workers who did the load outs.)

I paid for the safe, was told I could pick up the safe any time that day.  I left and returned a bit later (I had an appointment to give blood).

Unfortunately, I was the 23rd or 24th person to arrive to the pickup area.  The workers were very nice and apologetic; and were pissed that this happened, directing me to their section manager, "Chris H." who is a lying sack of horse excrement - telling me that it wasn't his fault, that they didn't oversell them and he might special order me one but it would take 8 weeks. I hope "Chris H." gets fired, becuase there are plenty of people in this town that want jobs and won't screw it up as royally as him.

For that price I would make them special order one for me and have it within 2 weeks.

If Chris H. can't get it done then take it up the ladder.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For that price I would make them special order one for me and have it within 2 weeks.

If Chris H. can't get it done then take it up the ladder.

I know, I just gave up on them.

Link Posted: 11/29/2011 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I talked to a guy that ordered his on menards web site and they shipping it to his home for 15.00
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's what I did for that issue. I have since shuffled things around a bit and took all the heavy ammo and moved it to another location.  For the price, I'm very pleased with this RSC, and like others have said, it is MUCH nicer than the "locker" that I had been keeping my guns in.

Warner

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/warners_photos/Guns/Safeopen-1.jpg

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#35]

One side is my Fudd side, and the other is for AR's, HD shotguns, and .22 rifles. I put one of the small pieces of shelf on a couple of 2x4 pieces to raise the floor on that side. It's starting to warp from the weight though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

One side is my Fudd side, and the other is for AR's, HD shotguns, and .22 rifles. I put one of the small pieces of shelf on a couple of 2x4 pieces to raise the floor on that side. It's starting to warp from the weight though.

Put some ammo under it.  

I bought mine black friday.

They were sold out but should be getting more early january, and i agreed to wait.  I'm excited so ill bump this thread to keep it unarchived.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#37]
So I purchased this same safe on black friday, had to be special ordered, but got the $399 pricing. The safe got here 2 days ago so yesterday I went to pick it up and was told all the safes delivered had damage to the finish since they shipped the keys on a rope dangling from the lock on the front and the keys scratched the finish off the front. They are not giving any discounts for this defect and said they are working with Cannon to see what can be done, but apparently this item isnt being made right now due to a broken machine on the manuf's end, so it's either get my money back or deal with a damaged item and pay the reg price others paid for a non damaged item. So I left with no safe and they still have my money. Manager called me today and said they can order me touch up paint and I can fix it myself, but no discount. So now I'm pissed. Touch up paint is not going to fix this, its all the way to the metal and its not a smooth paint, its textured. How can a company expect me to accept a damaged item and pay the same price others paid for a safe that was undamaged? What a ripoff! This will be going up the chain of command.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

So I purchased this same safe on black friday, had to be special ordered, but got the $399 pricing. The safe got here 2 days ago so yesterday I went to pick it up and was told all the safes delivered had damage to the finish since they shipped the keys on a rope dangling from the lock on the front and the keys scratched the finish off the front. They are not giving any discounts for this defect and said they are working with Cannon to see what can be done, but apparently this item isnt being made right now due to a broken machine on the manuf's end, so it's either get my money back or deal with a damaged item and pay the reg price others paid for a non damaged item. So I left with no safe and they still have my money. Manager called me today and said they can order me touch up paint and I can fix it myself, but no discount. So now I'm pissed. Touch up paint is not going to fix this, its all the way to the metal and its not a smooth paint, its textured. How can a company expect me to accept a damaged item and pay the same price others paid for a safe that was undamaged? What a ripoff! This will be going up the chain of command.

The one in my basement now has a slight rub in the paint from the keys that were dangling from the lock. It's not a decorative piece of furniture for me, so I didn't even give it a second thought. Seems like if it did bother you they could at least give you a nominal percentage off for your troubles.

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That is jacked....

Let us know how this is resolved...
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is jacked....

I hope mine doesn't have that problem.  I've got some leverage with them (contractor) so maybe ill get a discount if it is jacked up.

ETA Mine is the electronic version, is that what you have boricua?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#41]
didnt have any key scratched but when i got mine in the house and took the cardbaord shipping box off of it there was a foot long sratch along the front corner. ...now when i say scratch i mean the paint is gone down to bare metal. the safe included touch up piant. and it looks good now that i have touched it up. rally not happy with that since it had to of happened prior to me getting it but the box was perfect. .
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is jacked....

I hope mine doesn't have that problem.  I've got some leverage with them (contractor) so maybe ill get a discount if it is jacked up.

ETA Mine is the electronic version, is that what you have boricua?

I've used "textured" Rustoleum to cover the dings from several moves (Hammered Finish?  maybe) on my old Browning Silver series safe.    Works pretty good, covers well enough (but if you look you can see the change in the surface from around the scratches).  

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Others in my AO that bought the safe had similar issues.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#44]
For those who bought this safe. Cannon has posted on their website anyone that has a Safari safe Model #M5929, which I believe these are, call 1-800-242-1055 ext. 771. They will send you a replacement  lock component and detailed instructions free of charge.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For those who bought this safe. Cannon has posted on their website anyone that has a Safari safe Model #M5929, which I believe these are, call 1-800-242-1055 ext. 771. They will send you a replacement  lock component and detailed instructions free of charge.

What makes you think that this is 5929?  

I did a little googling and didn't see anything.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#46]
After renting a frig dolley, busting my balls getting this thing out of my pickup, rearranging my garage and sliding this almost into place did I notice the swinging key blem.  I'm a little torqued myself.

I just got off the phone with Menards and was googling canon safes when I found this thread.  Menards is trying to juke and jive their way out of this, they want me to call Cannon.  

Total Cluster F.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I ordered this safe like everyone else on Black Friday and received it last week.  Honestly, I'm not that miffed about the paint.  I used some black acrylic paint and touched it up... looks like new now and it cost me all of about $1 and about 5 minutes.  I think the safe was a pretty good deal to begin with, so to deal with a slight blemish really didn't bother me that much... but that's just me.  Any other safe's around this size were easily $150-$200 more than I paid for this one.  Also, since I live around 2 hours from the nearest Menards, they were happy to hold it for about 3 weeks before I could get down there to pick it up.  IDK... to me, not a big deal...

Oh, for those who missed out on this one, check with Menard's sometime the middle of this month... they might be getting more from Canon for the same price...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I got an email today saying mine was in!

Go pick up tomorrow and give an update.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#49]
I got one of these safes for Christmas. My fiance bought it during the black friday sale. The front is scratched up like everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds about like Menards for ya.
Shitty for Cannon to do that, shittier for menards to say "not our problem".

They've fucked me one too many times. They will try to sell used products as brand new. Will promise delivery, and not come through.

They do have good sales from time to time, but read the fine print, and carefully inspect before taking delivery.

I ended up getting the Liberty safe that Gander Mountain had up for black friday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top