Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2011 1:03:01 PM EDT
I know, I should know this by now. However, I don't, or at least not anymore. It seems a while back when I quoted someone, it would put the quote in a box, and the posters name would be at the top of the box. Now, when I quote someone, the quote is in the box, but the name isn't there. It really sucks not being able to participate in building giant quote trees just like all of the other cool kids.

OK, here's how I'm doing it, and obviously this is wrong.

I copy the text from the poster in question. Then, I hit the quote icon on my message thing, which brings up the
thing here. Then, I position the cursor in between the brackets, and hit the paste button. It does post the quote, but not the author.

Thanks in advance .
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I know, I should know this by now. However, I don't, or at least not anymore. It seems a while back when I quoted someone, it would put the quote in a box, and the posters name would be at the top of the box. Now, when I quote someone, the quote is in the box, but the name isn't there. It really sucks not being able to participate in building giant quote trees just like all of the other cool kids.

I copy the text from the poster in question. Then, I hit the quote icon on my message thing, which brings up the
thing here. Then, I position the cursor in between the brackets, and hit the paste button. It does post the quote, but not the author.

Thanks in advance .

It looks like this. No author.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

Posts have a quote button on them, bottom left.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit: answered ^

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

Holy Shit. I see it now. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

Fuck this thread, I'm going to plant some trees.

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

ETA:
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

ETA:

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

ETA:

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Now we've just got to get a thread giving detailed and careful instructions about how to trim butterfly quotes, and when not to click the quote button.

Hint: if you're the first replier to a 2200-word OP, and you quote the entire OP so you can post a five-word response, then I hate you
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance .

ETA:

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If you think the quote button is cool, look at the stuff I learned in THIS THREAD...  I'm enjoying the shit out of the green arrow that brings you to the last post you read in a thread!

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aieeeeee!
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
How do you quote multiple posts in the same response? I never knew how to do this.

In other words, quote and respond to member A, followed by quote and respond to member B, all in the same post.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How do you quote multiple posts in the same response? I never knew how to do this.

In other words, quote and respond to member A, followed by quote and respond to member B, all in the same post.

I use tabs to do it in my browser:

For each post I want to quote and respond to, I click on the quote button in that post with the middle mouse button, so it'll open a reply in a separate tab. ETA: I think holding down ctrl while left-clicking the link does the same thing, if you're using a mouse with no middle button, or a laptop touchpad.

I type my reply after the quote of the first one, then click over to the next reply tab, copy all of the quoted text out of it, then paste it into my first reply tab. Then I type my reply to that, and so on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top