Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2011 9:09:36 AM EDT
Got it last night. Havent had any tv for over a year. Cant get any over the air programming (thanks gov efficiency!). I am in a medium to large city, and have tried a bunch of different antennas. Just get jesus channel and occasionally chinese or something.

So, i got this blu ray player by sony that also hooks up google tv.

I need to play around with it, but so far it seems really disappointing.  I really couldnt watch one show successfully. I tried to watch parks and rec, for instance. It lead me to amazon.com where i could buy one episode of one show for 2$.  

Fuck that.

I thought people were using the internet and their tvs to circumvent high cable prices and loving it?

Anybody got any advice?  I have only played with it for an hour or so.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, found one episode of a twenty year old show...

Was shitty quality, small screen, and buffered constantly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Apple TV  FTW
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Got it last night. Havent had any tv for over a year. Cant get any over the air programming (thanks gov efficiency!). I am in a medium to large city, and have tried a bunch of different antennas. Just get jesus channel and occasionally chinese or something.

So, i got this blu ray player by sony that also hooks up google tv.

I need to play around with it, but so far it seems really disappointing.  I really couldnt watch one show successfully. I tried to watch parks and rec, for instance. It lead me to amazon.com where i could buy one episode of one show for 2$.  

Fuck that.

I thought people were using the internet and their tvs to circumvent high cable prices and loving it?

Anybody got any advice?  I have only played with it for an hour or so.

How are you getting your internet? I'm up in the Renton Highlands(, btw) and am using/paying Comcast for internet only.

I put a splitter in the coax, before it goes into the modem and and ran another coax into the TV's antenna jack.

I'm getting all of the local stations in HD (4.1, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, 13.1, 74.3 (Ion channel), 60.2 (CBC)) as well as in standard broadcast signal (4, 5, 7, etc.) and NWCN, Discovery, KVOS out of Bellingham, TWC,  Hallmark, and a bunch of other free channels.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2011 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Search around for some 'apps' that will give you more programming.

There's a way to 'jail break' the box that may give you some options beyond what you're finding now.

We've had Google TV for about 6 months but we very seldom watch antenna/broadcast TV anyway. For us, it's just access to Amazon Prime, Netflix and other online movie venues for Sunday evenings.

You can watch broadcast TV from most of the major alphabet stations from their websites.

You can also build an antenna on the cheap with some wood screws, spare hangers and scrap lumber... youtube is filled with instructional videos.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top