Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2011 2:36:10 PM EDT
So I just got an unexpected check in the mail from the U.S. Treasury.  I have no idea why I am receiving it.  When I had my taxes done I was told I owed taxes and was given a specific amount to pay, which I payed in full, so I had no expectation of a refund.  I don't want to cash a check that may be a government mistake, much less spend what I cashed; I really don't want the government on my ass for anything related to money.  How do I find out for what exactly am I receiving this check?  It says refund, but that has to be a mistake.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I just got an unexpected check in the mail from the U.S. Treasury.  I have no idea why I am receiving it.  When I had my taxes done I was told I owed taxes and was given a specific amount to pay, which I payed in full, so I had no expectation of a refund.  I don't want to cash a check that may be a government mistake, much less spend what I cashed; I really don't want the government on my ass for anything related to money.  How do I find out for what exactly am I receiving this check?  It says refund, but that has to be a mistake.

1) cash check
2) hookers & blow
3) ????????
4) Profit!

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it for $400 exactly?
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I had that happen a couple of years ago. They sent me a refund check with a note that the paper work explaining why would be coming later. Never got the paperwork.
Cashed the check. No problems.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Deposit check in savings account and forget about it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats your bribe to vote for zero
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Deposit check in savings account and forget about it.

Good idea.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I had that happen a couple of years ago. They sent me a refund check with a note that the paper work explaining why would be coming later. Never got the paperwork.

Cashed the check. No problems.

No note or anything with this.  It's really weird.  I'm automatically suspicious of this sort of thing, because it seems to be too good to be true.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Free shit is starting to trickle down to the masses.  Its what Barry promised, remember?   I hope I get one for $600 instead of $400.   It just might be part of the missing money they found in Iraq and decided to hand out holiday bonus checks too.   Happy times are here again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you trust your wife?

Would she hamstring you?

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Do you trust your wife?

Would she hamstring you?

I don't get your meaning. I'm not married nor have I been in the past. I filed as an individual. I'd call my tax guy but he has cancer and is sick as a dog right now.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you trust your wife?

Would she hamstring you?

I don't get your meaning. I'm not married nor have I been in the past. I filed as an individual. I'd call my tax guy but he has cancer and is sick as a dog right now.

Comes from the movie Shawshank Redemption.

Your opening post reminded me of Capt Hadley on the roof - complaining about his inheritance.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Is it for $400 exactly?

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you trust your wife?

Would she hamstring you?

Your opening post reminded me of Capt Hadley on the roof - complaining about his inheritance.

I just want to make sure I won't have the IRS knocking on my door.  If I won't I'll gladly take it.  I don't mind getting taxes back even if I didn't ask for them.  Not like Obama's getting my vote anyways.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#14]
you know the saying if its too good to be true
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it for $400 exactly?

No.  $234.77.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Apply it against your future tax liability. If it turns out to be a mistake...you're not out anything.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at it REAL closely, front and back, make sure it is not some scam that commits you to something if you deposit it.  If it looks good, throw it in savings for a while.

You could always call or visit your local IRS office and see if they can explain it..  Call me crazy, but they are actually pleasant folk for the most part.  I paid my taxes in person this year and they were very nice.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#18]
"I'm from the IRS, recalculating."
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I am guessing that once you bring this to the attention of the IRS, a real person will start looking at your tax return history, and then you're gonna be fucked. Some 80 IQ moron will start questioning everything they see on your tax return. I'd just tear up the check.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Deposit in savings and see if they ever come looking for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I got one like that a few years ago.  Accountant and I were both surprised, but the IRS actually DID show that I overpaid and refunded me the difference.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have a copy of your return handy, check to make sure your preparer took the "Making Work Pay" deduction.

He may or may not have filed a "schedule M" to claim it.

This was something new in 2009 where taxpayers got up to a $400 credit, for having a job I guess

Many, including myself, overlooked it and got their return automatically adjusted by the IRS.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
By endorsing and cashing the check, you agree to be part of the Democratic party.

Read the fine print.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Cash it.  If black helicopters start follwing you around, run to Costa Rica.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you have a copy of your return handy, check to make sure your preparer took the "Making Work Pay" deduction.

This was something new in 2009 where taxpayers got up to a $400 credit, for having a job I guess

Many, including myself, overlooked it and got their return automatically adjusted by the IRS.

Interesting.  I'm looking for my paperwork.  It's somewhere around here.  My previous returns are all in my file cabinet but I think I forgot to put this one in there.  I only paid the self-employment tax as far as Federal taxes go.  My tax guy actually ended up in the hospital and his wife did my return, I found out.  He's been battling cancer; I'd be calling him if I knew he was up to it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Just call your closest US Treasury. Press the right numbers to get to talk to someone, and they will tell you what it is for. (BTDT)

I received a check from Treasury and I do not know why. How can I find out why it was sent to me?

Contact the Treasury Regional Financial Center (RFC) that issued the payment to you to determine which federal agency authorized the payment.

For identification purposes, the city and state of the RFC is printed on the top center of the check.

Kansas City............(816) 414-2100

Philadelphia............(215) 516-8154

San Francisco............(510) 594-7300

Also see: Check Claims

http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/payments_why.html

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Just call your closest US Treasury. Press the right numbers to get to talk to someone, and they will tell you what it is for. (BTDT)
I received a check from Treasury and I do not know why. How can I find out why it was sent to me?

Contact the Treasury Regional Financial Center (RFC) that issued the payment to you to determine which federal agency authorized the payment.

For identification purposes, the city and state of the RFC is printed on the top center of the check.

Kansas City............(816) 414-2100

Philadelphia............(215) 516-8154

San Francisco............(510) 594-7300

Also see: Check Claims

http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/payments_why.html

Excellent.  Came from the SF office.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Way back when, in college, I got a refund check within about a week of filing on April 15th. I was surprised, but deposited it. About a week after that I got my notice to appear for an audit.

My roommate at the time worked for the IRS and explained the quick refund - at the time their policy was that an audit couldn't take place until the business for the questioned tax year(s) was concluded. So they were just waiting to see that I'd cashed that quick refund check.

Don't know if that applies to your situation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you trust your wife?

Would she hamstring you?

You're that fancy lawyer wthat killed his wife.
Why should I listen to a wife killin' lawyer?

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Send it to me, I'll cash it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Send it to me, I'll cash it.

Says on the check that carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in Federal prison and a $10,000 fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#32]
So I found out what the deal was.  Apparently when my tax guy felt better he revised my returns to account for things like expenses for work, such as uniforms, supplies, etc. which reduced my burden and made me eligible for a tax return, which is what the check is (the check includes interest as well, apparently).  So this check will be deposited promptly.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#33]
There's no letter w/ it?

That happened to me a few years ago.  IRS sent me a check, I thought it was a refund and cashed it.  2 month later they were like "oh, our bad. But you cashed the check, so you owe us taxes plus the interest for being late."  Fuckers.

Hold onto it for a few months if you can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  I'm looking for my paperwork.  It's somewhere around here.  My previous returns are all in my file cabinet but I think I forgot to put this one in there.  I only paid the self-employment tax as far as Federal taxes go.  My tax guy actually ended up in the hospital and his wife did my return, I found out.  He's been battling cancer; I'd be calling him if I knew he was up to it.

You are afraid of depositing a check thatbis less than $300 because the IRS will come looking for you? If it is a mistake give the money back. You should have more than that in savings.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#35]
A couple years ago, the wife got an unexpected check from the Treasury for $7317. She called the Treasury and found out that an illegal in Houston had stolen her SSN and was trying to collect money.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#36]
That happened to me once. Apparently I had screwed something up on my return and they actually caught it and sent me a check. Surprised the hell out of me.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it for $400 exactly?

No.  $234.77.

You overpaid your taxes.

That's a period at the end of that sentence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top