Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2011 11:31:36 AM EDT
What is this saying?

http://www.google.com/mobile/privacy.html

Mobile-specific information we collect:

"To improve processing of your voice input, we may also continuously record in temporary memory a few seconds of ambient background noise. This recording stays only temporarily on the device and is not sent to Google"

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
in context
For products and services with voice recognition capabilities, we collect and store a copy of the voice input you make to the product or service and corrections you make to the returned recognition result. To improve processing of your voice input, we may also continuously record in temporary memory a few seconds of ambient background noise. This recording stays only temporarily on the device and is not sent to Google. If you choose to personalize voice recognition, we will associate your voice data with your Google Account.

i've used the google app on iPhone that uses voice recognition, and it's very good, so I assume that so long as the app is running, the app records a rotating buffer 2-3 seconds of ambient noise to establish a baseline then "subtracts" it from the your query prior to processing it to give more accurate results...
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
in context
For products and services with voice recognition capabilities, we collect and store a copy of the voice input you make to the product or service and corrections you make to the returned recognition result. To improve processing of your voice input, we may also continuously record in temporary memory a few seconds of ambient background noise. This recording stays only temporarily on the device and is not sent to Google. If you choose to personalize voice recognition, we will associate your voice data with your Google Account.

i've used the google app on iPhone that uses voice recognition, and it's very good, so I assume that so long as the app is running, the app records a rotating buffer 2-3 seconds of ambient noise to establish a baseline then "subtracts" it from the your query prior to processing it to give more accurate results...

Thanks for putting it in layman's terms......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top