Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2011 4:33:38 PM EDT
Thinking about an Ipad.  I've got an Iphone (4s) and am happy with it.  How does the 3G thing work with the Ipad?  Do I basically have to pay for a completely independent 'line' for my Ipad if I want the 3G model? (I'm on ATT)  Can't I just use my Iphone as a mobile wifi hotspot or 'tether' it or something like that so I don't need a 3g Ipad?  Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Use iPhone as wifi hot spot. Works fine.

The only downside is that now your Internet autonomy is linked to the iPhone 4 battery, not the iPad...  But it works just fine and is easy as shit..

Activate sharing connection on iPhone. Look iPhone in the iPad wifi list. There you go.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have the unlimited data ?  if so, hotspot wifi is the best way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the 3g if you have any intention of using GPS apps. You don't have to pay for service. The 3g versions have a GPS chip which is independent of cell service.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking at one at the Verizon store Thursday while ordering a new plain phone and the salemen told me you could buy it through your ipad by the month if you wanted to.  So when wifi is available just use it and save your 3g.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
With the iPad, I had two options for data plans––one for 250MB/month, and one for 2GB/month, at $14.99 and $25.00/month respectively.  They are charged to your credit card directly from the iPad, and are not on contract––it's month to month.  The iPad will also track your usage for you (if  you wish), and will give you "alerts" at pre-determined usage rates to warn you of approaching limits.

My 3G data service is often as fast as my wifi––I have AT&T's Unlimited Data on my iPhone.

I have used my iPad with a friend's Android phone providiing a hot spot––had no problems with it.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I've been very pleased with both the iPhone and the iPad (currently on the iPad2, and iPhone 3GS).
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get the 3g if you have any intention of using GPS apps. You don't have to pay for service. The 3g versions have a GPS chip which is independent of cell service.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/triuneself/IMG_0567.jpg

That big screen would be awesome on a GPS for an old guy, like me.  I didn't even realize that a 3rd generation of Ipad was available.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#7]

There are only two generations of iPads, but two types of iPads within each generation. The iPad 2 is the most recent generation. One type of iPad is w-fi only and the other one has wi-fi + 3g capability. As mentioned, the 3g capable version offers the benefit of location services using actual GPS hardware. This capability does not exist in the wi-fi only model. However, it can approximate location by using wi-fi. But it is slightly less accurate.

If you're on ATT, the 3G service is pay-as-you-go by the month. You do not need to sign a contract or anything. You do not need an extra line and you only pay for a month if  you use the 3G service during that month. You can own a wifi+3g model and never incur any data charges. Or you can pay 15.00 a month for each month that you need to use it. So it's on or off each month, at your choosing.

It is possible to tether with ATT, but you may need to add it to your contract, and there should be a setting in your 4s to activate it as a wi-fi hotspot. It's very simple and convenient.

You decision will come down to how much the hardware GPS is worth to you.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#8]
You can cancel the 3G and then in another month re-activate it too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top