Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2011 12:44:31 PM EDT
The wife and I are going next weekend to look at some land. One place we're looking at has some rock issues (as mentioned before in other threads).

I want to probe a certain few spots where there isn't surface rock and see how deep the rock lays. I need a steel probe to do this with ,and it needs to be stout enough to withstand getting hammered through the ground (soil is damp now, which should help) and small enough that it can then be pulled back out. I had a fiberglass probe that works well enough in loose soils, but I'm afraid of breaking it in hard soils, and I have to have it for work, so I can't afford to use it.

The probe needs to have a relatively sharp point. I also need to be able to order it, pay expedited shipping, and have it in hand by wednesday afternoon, before the holiday.

Help?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just find a local fab shop and pass somebody on lunch a $20. This isn't a complicated item to make, at most it's two cuts and one grind, unless you want to get all fancy and have a disc welded on the top as a striking surface.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
#4 rebar (1/2")
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
do you want something to take a core, or just a solid rod?

go buy some 3/4" schedule 40 galvanized pipe and cut the end at a 45 with a hack saw. bring a pipe wrench along to twist it out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
#4 rebar (1/2")

This, or a copper-clad steel ground rod. You can get either at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
mount a handle to a section of grounding rod?

or one of these and a cordless drill?
earth auger
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
use this website for general soils info ( may not be accurate at small scale)
Web soil survey
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
www.forestrysupplies.com

I am a soil scientist and a land developer, check out the soil survey of the property, you can get one on the web through the NRCS website, or if you PM a tax map, GPS cords, or address I can make you a map in like 5 minutes, that will have some good info on it for ya,

one thing to keep in mind with soil probes and all that is sometimes you don't know if you hit a large rock or ledge, big rocks ok, ledge is what you want to avoid.  soil probes are ok to start with but to really know get a backhoe and dig some deep pits, to see what is going on subsurface.

my 02.  

Good luck

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just find a local fab shop and pass somebody on lunch a $20. This isn't a complicated item to make, at most it's two cuts and one grind, unless you want to get all fancy and have a disc welded on the top as a striking surface.

Not even that.

Go get a 3/16" piece of steel rod at a hardware store. Tape-up the end, making a ball of tape for a handle, so that when you push it into the ground it goes into the ground, not your hand.

If the ground is soft/wet, you should have no problem just pushing it in 4' or so.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even that.

Go get a 3/16" piece of steel rod at a hardware store. Tape-up the end, making a ball of tape for a handle, so that when you push it into the ground it goes into the ground, not your hand.

If the ground is soft/wet, you should have no problem just pushing it in 4' or so.

I've pushed a fiberglass probe 36" or more into wet ground without using my whole hand; I just don't want to risk stopping at a hardpan that I mistake for rock.

Here's the deal: We want a pond in the future. It's gonna be tight on this one piece of property- small width, low slope - if we can dig 2' or more deep on the lower end, it becomes much easier. Therefore, I need to know what portion of this field has 2' or more of dirt. Some of it does; other parts will be solid rock. That's fine; I just need 50% or so of it to be diggable(?).

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
#4 rebar (1/2")

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Where in MS are you located?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not far from Tupelo.

Land is in Maury county, TN. Will be headed there from McNairy county (TN) come friday morning.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not far from Tupelo.

Land is in Maury county, TN. Will be headed there from McNairy county (TN) come friday morning.

Just realized that I didn't write back.

The reason I asked is that I may be able to get my hands on one in Memphis if you were coming through here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not far from Tupelo.

Just realized that I didn't write back.  

The reason I asked is that I may be able to get my hands on one in Memphis if you were coming through here.

I genuinely appreciate the offer.

We're going to just use some rebar fence posts. After all the rain, the ground should be fairly soft.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Get  smooth round stock , 3/16 like was mentioned above , rebar will get extremely hard to pull out , not to mention push in . If you use rebar you'll need a 3# sledge to get it very deep, after 3-4 probes you'll be feelin it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top