Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/18/2002 5:07:33 PM EDT
I work in a predominately male atmosphere, so I see and hear more than I would like to know. My question is to all the men out there; When a good looking woman shows you attention and is flirtatious, do you assume she wants you? A male friend of mine has this theory that I give the wrong impression to men. I am just being nice and having fun. I can't help it if men are this simple, or is this guy just an idiot?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I work in a predominately male atmosphere, so I see and hear more than I would like to know. My question is to all the men out there; When a good looking woman shows you attention and is flirtatious, do you assume she wants you?
View Quote

Uhh, yeah, duh. Of course she wants me.

A male friend of mine has this theory that I give the wrong impression to men. I am just being nice and having fun. I can't help it if men are this simple, or is this guy just an idiot?
View Quote

He's probably an idiot.

Guys think with their little brains.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to disappoint you, men are that simple...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sad to say, but the majority would take it that way. The little head can be a curse at times, beating all sense out of the big head.

-legrue

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
no we aren't. are all women sluts and whores?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I believe men are that simple.  If you flirted with me I would assume you liked me.  Men don't require women to go through the pain and torture of making us happy like we have to do for them.  To please us is fairly easy,(this doesn't exclusively mean sex), just be interested even if your not, and let us buy the things we want.  I'm married so I've seen the womans crazy unpredictable mood swings and quirks that make them what they are.  If you have any ideas of why women are so complicated please let me and the other guys here know as were all trying to improve.  And don't tell me women are not complicated, because in the inside your all just a big mess.
Bill3508  [flame]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me ask you a question.

Do you think men dance because they like to OR because they want to get into your knickers?

Yeah, I know some really do like to dance but the majority, well, use your imagination.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
oink, oink...

sorry, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
[i]Are all men pigs?[/i]

I gotta better question for you:

If they are, you gonna turn gay?

If not, deal with it. Learn that most are and behave accordingly. Don't say you didn't know or act naive about it - you do.

Act flirtatious - yeah creeps and freaks will be all over you.

Fade to the corner, and get on the pay me no mind list - sure it may not be as exciting - but it won't prompt silly questions like these and will keep most of freaks away. Those that are worthy and have genuine interest will pick up on it when you flirt with them. Those same folks won't be interested in betty boop who flirts with all.

You have been so advised.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, I believe men are that simple.  If you flirted with me I would assume you liked me.  Men don't require women to go through the pain and torture of making us happy like we have to do for them.  To please us is fairly easy,(this doesn't exclusively mean sex), just be interested even if your not, and let us buy the things we want.  I'm married so I've seen the womans crazy unpredictable mood swings and quirks that make them what they are.  If you have any ideas of why women are so complicated please let me and the other guys here know as were all trying to improve.  And don't tell me women are not complicated, because in the inside your all just a big mess.
Bill3508  [flame]
View Quote

I wish I had that answer about women,I would be rich. I suggest you just deal with us the best way possible. We can be very unreal at times. But since we have something you men crave we can get away with most anything. And sorry but we know that and always remember it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I work in a predominately male atmosphere, so I see and hear more than I would like to know. My question is to all the men out there; When a good looking woman shows you attention and [red]is flirtatious[/red], do you assume she wants you? A male friend of mine has this theory that I give the wrong impression to men. I am just being nice and having fun. I can't help it if men are this simple, or is this guy just an idiot?
View Quote

Why act that way if not to telegraph a message? Tease?

From www.m-w.com:

Main Entry: flir·ta·tious
Pronunciation: "fl&r-'tA-sh&s
Function: adjective
Date: 1834
: inclined to flirt : COQUETTISH

and

Main Entry: co·quette
Pronunciation: kO-'ket
Function: noun
Etymology: French, feminine of coquet
Date: circa 1611
: [red]a woman who endeavors without sincere affection to gain the attention and admiration of men[/red]

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock Chick,
Aside from the fact that most women I meet want me, the good lookin' ones like you, that flirt back and like to have fun, spark the interest of the Dionkster the most. I've been there. I understand your quandry. I feel your pain. I am sensitive to your feelings and your needs. I care.  
I would suggest you find a workplace filled with a little more testosterone, and leave the juveniles that can't work the ladies to the fat chicks. Does this make me a pig? Absolutely!
Some like 'em rich, some like 'em smart, some like 'em well dressed... but they all like 'em bad. Let's be bad. :)
The Doinkster
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
RN45,
  Please do tell us his name!!
ROFL!!

Bill3508 [:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:But since we have something you men crave we can get away with most anything. And sorry but we know that and always remember it.
View Quote

And if it weren't for that thing that we all crave, and you are suddenly so aware of, you would all have a bounty on your heads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
"I work in a predominately male atmosphere, so I see and hear more than I would like to know."

hmmm? guess you could always become a nun.

"My question is to all the men out there; When a good looking woman shows you attention and is flirtatious, do you assume she wants you?"

yup. either that or she needs money, security, another drink, whatever.

"A male friend of mine has this theory that I give the wrong impression to men. I am just being nice and having fun."

you probably do give the "wrong impression".

"I can't help it if men are this simple,"

neither can we. life's a bitch, ain't it?

"or is this guy just an idiot?"

he probably knows you better than you do. we are the poorest objective observers of our own selves.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When a good looking woman shows you attention and is flirtatious, do you assume she wants you?
View Quote
Well, talk about mixed signals!  Throughout history, when a woman or a man has flirted with a member of the opposite sex, it means they are interested in something the other has.  Of course, teasing is a possibility, which doesn't make the teaser any better than the pig she is flirting with.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Are all men pigs?  That's about as stupid as asking, "are all women whores?"  

If you aren't interested in a man, don't act like you want to propagate the species with him.  I don't see why that is so difficult for some mindless women.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
up against the wall and spread em
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Guys generally have to work to keep the little head from doing the thinking for the big head. That's why I gave mine a name. .
View Quote

1. Way more info than I needed.

2. Call me silly, but I fail to see the logical connection between the sentence[i]Guys generally have to work to keep the little head from doing the thinking for the big head.[/i]

and the sentence[i]That's why I gave mine a name.[/i]

Sorry, but WTF is the logic in these two sentences?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Of course they want me!

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you coming on to me??
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fade to the corner, and get on the pay me no mind list - sure it may not be as exciting - but it won't prompt silly questions like these and will keep most of freaks away. Those that are worthy and have genuine interest will pick up on it when you flirt with them. Those same folks won't be interested in betty boop who flirts with all.
View Quote
I think a lot of women need to hear this.  I know one person that is very attractive and quite intelligent.  She could have almost any guy she wanted to, but her problem is she gets a lot of guys interested by flirting with [b]everyone[/b].  When all of us guys see her flirting with everyone else I think we mostly decide that she isn't interested in any of us and so don't make an effort for her, just assuming she wants someone else.  Meanwhile, if she took it easy and quit being such a flirt she could have her pick.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
In the opinion of men, is there a difference between being a flirt and a tease?

I've always felt flirting was a no-harm no-foul thing... expression to another person that you find something about them attractive but no implication or necessity for it to go any farther than that acknowledgement and ego boost.

A tease seems to suggest that [i]more[/i] will really happen without the intention (or "maybe" the intention) of anything actually happening.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I work in a predominately male atmosphere, so I see and hear more than I would like to know. My question is to all the men out there; When a good looking woman shows you attention and is flirtatious, do you assume she wants you?
View Quote

Yes.

A male friend of mine has this theory that I give the wrong impression to men. I am just being nice and having fun. I can't help it if men are this simple, or is this guy just an idiot?
View Quote

If you don't want a man, dont give him the impression that you are interested in him.  Because he will go out on a limb, and make an advance.  Then what?  Then you rebuff him and tell him he has the wrong idea.  He will be confused and hurt.  If you aren't interested in him to begin with, do not flirt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#25]
CAMPY,my friend,can I call you my friend?...sounds to me like I got the same lot"O"bitches you did,or your sloppy seconds[;)].O'wait I forgot their all like that,its in the estrogen*.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#26]
glock-chic comes to the General Discussion Forum at AR15.com and asks this question? [rolleyes]
No.  Not all men.
Some of us are DOGS![;D]
(...treat me like the dog I am...)
At least, my wife says I'm a dog.
[b]WOOF[/b].
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't mean to come across as flirting. I grew up a yankee and now I live in the South. There was nothing wrong with my personality until I started living around rednecks. I also can't help but smile alot and I have been told when I smile at what a man says it looks like I am in love with what he is saying. I don't do that on purpose.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Once people stop saying things like "all men are pigs" and "all women are worthless bitches" and reach the enlightened conclusion that [b]the entire human race is filth[/b], it becomes much easier to understand why people act the way they do.

---SinistralRifleman, shithouse philosopher.
View Quote
........Sinstral wins the prize!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Miss_Magnum,
     I don't think the majority of men know the difference between flirting and teasing.  To most its just all the same and gets our hopes up that women like us.  If you want to flirt make it clear that you like us before hand, and if you want to tease let us know what not to expect.  I like things simple and I wish women just make it clear what they want.  It hurts our feeling more after the fact than if you had told us before.
Bill3508

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Deep down inside, yeah...we're all swine.  To the core.

But the more astute can generally tell the difference between playful flirting...that is all fun and games...and that which indicates interest.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now that's funny!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Men aren't pigs....we're just slow.  We can't read minds and we don't know what the hell to say when you ask us: "Do these pants make my ass look fat?".  It's a no win situation.

Again:

1) Men are slow.
2) Men CAN NOT READ MINDS!
3) Baby, yo booty is just right!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys generally have to work to keep the little head from doing the thinking for the big head. That's why I gave mine a name. .
View Quote

1. Way more info than I needed.

2. Call me silly, but I fail to see the logical connection between the sentence[i]Guys generally have to work to keep the little head from doing the thinking for the big head.[/i]

and the sentence[i]That's why I gave mine a name.[/i]

Sorry, but WTF is the logic in these two sentences?
View Quote

Its a guy thing , really . It would be like you trying to explain the way females change their minds or decide what to wear on a date to us guys .
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't get your hopes up, she's using you to get to me.
View Quote

Thats an even better one, I needed a good laugh tonight. I love all the one liners you guys come up with on this forum.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#38]
"CAMPY,my friend,can I call you my friend?"

sure! wth!

"...sounds to me like I got the same lot"O"bitches you did,or your sloppy seconds."

possibly...pig that i am, i tossed a few after i flirted with them and teased them. iwas just having fun and smiling...see how i am?!?!?!

"O'wait I forgot their all like that,its in the estrogen*."

that, my son is why god made testosterone...strong enough for a woman, but made for a man!

hmmm? think i'll have myself a mid-life crisis and buy me a red corvette.

hey bolt...i still got the phone number of psycho-bitch no. 4, if yer interested. iirc, she liked to flirt!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#39]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/halopig.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I dated a girl who would flirt with everyone, she was a virgin with a capital [size=6]V[/size=6].

When I worked with a bunch of women we would flirt with eachother.....some were even married.  So??  When it came down to "what are you doing after work?" things changed.[:)]

If Ms. Manglum truly was interested in every man she flirted with at the BRC she needs therapy.[whacko]

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:11:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Campy my friend,like yourself I imagine,I've had more than my share.But like "Sinstral" says, everyone's looking for the BiggerBetterDeal....'Especially' the womminz,.....because of society's man/womminz usual relationship in the world.Womenz with their whiles'n such simply amuse me now.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#42]
[b]Are all men pigs?[/b]

I answer no.  However, some are shitheads, and some aint.

I plead the 5th amendment on wich catagory i belong too. [;)]

By the way, anyone got an [u]Operators Manual[/u] on women??

[grenade]            [peep]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#43]
You all heard about the man who figured women out???

He died laughing before he could tell anyone!

*I* am a pig, not sure about ALL the rest...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm gonna have to see you in some lingerie before I decide.  Pics please [:D]

WL
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#45]

This is not to be meant as a flame but maybe to open your eyes to your own expectations. I personally have no problem in distinguishing from flirting signals and the all favorite COME AND GET IT signal.

However, whatever reason for flirting. Be it just to have fun, kill time or even making you feel more secure with yourself (ie... do I still got IT) You need to realize what you are doing is to draw attention to yourself. When you are asking for attention, you must then learn how to deal with the different kinds you attract.

This is not a flame but maybe if you try a different tactic. You might attract the kind of attention crave. I enjoy flirting from a beautiful woman or girl and if harmless I see no problem with it whatsoever. If problems arise from it though, you should adjust accordingly.

Yes men are pigs. We like it that way. We waller in the mud, make funny noises and scratch our butt when it itch's. If you want a clown that does everything you tell him to do and worships every move you make. Then it is not a man you want but a boy!

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You all heard about the man who figured women out???

He died laughing before he could tell anyone!

*I* am a pig, not sure about ALL the rest...
View Quote

Good one dude!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We can't read minds and we don't know what the hell to say when you ask us: "Do these pants make my ass look fat?".
View Quote

My wife asked me this ONCE, my reply....."No, all of that ice cream you eat makes your ass look fat!"

When I woke up I SWORE to lie from that point on.

Are men pigs? Yes, but WOMEN make us that way.rocko.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#48]
yes,
Are all women shallow and greedy?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#49]
yes,
Now is it just me or are all women shallow and greedy?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#50]
In general, by a woman's standards, yes, most men are pigs. Men like looking at women, they like thinking about women, and if a woman flirts ENOUGH, many, possibly most, men will think she is coming on to them. If she doesn't come across with what she offers (in their opinion), many men will decide she is a tease.

All a woman has to do is figure out where the line is between an enjoyable flirtation and an implied offer IN HIS MIND. This is hard to do.

Of course, that's what the man is trying to do, too: why is she putting her hand on my arm, giving me the eye, leaning over and giving a great down-blouse view of her tits?  Is she just flirting, or does she intend to GO somewhere with this?

If you cross THEIR line, you can expect them to be incensed, much as a lion will be if you dangle 20 pound of fresh meat in front of them and when they go for it, you jerk it out of reach. (Heck, SHE KNOWS and is just TOYING WITH ME!)

This will make them a bit cranky, and some will write you off as a slut, some will respond with aggression and violence, most well-adjusted men will just figure you are rude and insensitive. By this point, the man has decided you are not playing the "Flirtation" game, but have gone on to "Lets's Go To Bed", or a hardcore game of "Tease". And he feels you have mislead him about the game, or the rules or are, well, cheating or something. People become unpredictable in this situation. It won't help you win friends or influence people.

Perhaps the sophisticates you are used to dealing with "back home" expect women to come off a bit more aggressively, and you are just out of your social milieu, and you need to tone it down for us "rednecks".

My honest guess is the men are responding at some level to the subtle contempt I perceive in your post. (Redneck is a loaded word, use it at your peril to a southerner, "if you ain't from around here".)

Miss Magnum, much of what I say above is relevant to your question, but not a direct response to it. Most men are more or less visually impaired (by women's standards); when it comes to flirting, they live in a greater or lesser degree of testosterone fog that washes out nuanced observation and intelligent, reasoned response.  

In social dealings within their own culture, they generally can adequately deal with the normal range of behavior. But some social maladroits just don't fit or understand the norms, and men can and will respond inappropriately. And some men are just pigs, even by the average man's standards.

Pick your game, make SURE everyone knows the rules, and carry on.  Be prepared to explain the subtle rules to the beginners, and help out the less adept player in a kindly fashion. If it looks like someone's feeling are being hurt, call off the game. Apologize if the mistake is likely to have been yours.

Same politeness we learned in kindergarten, right?

Not sure I got this across as clearly as I hoped, be happy to explain further.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top