Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 94
Posted: 11/20/2011 6:39:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CSM]
I can attest to the validity of the below article personally.  I see a lot of hiring going on, I get calls from recruiters regularly, and I don't really see a ton of good resumes.  I have seen a lot of people skip interviews or just not even bother to show up.  Even of the people who do make the cut, there is high turnover.  Most people don't seem to want to work the hours in the all weather conditions necessary for these jobs.  

I see this as a good opportunity for our servicemen and women coming back from war, as they understand how to give and take orders and can succeed in challenging conditions.  I hope that for our fine military folks looking for a civilian job outside of the dep't of defence can find a good home in oil & gas.  Drill here, drill now, to keep our money here and allow us to work for a living.  

-CSM

[email protected]; twitter.com/simone929

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/11/15/boom-fuels-oil-field-talent-search/
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I want in SO BAD.  I'll sell my mouth on the casting couch bad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be elegible for Military retirement in 4 years and I really want to get into wild well control when I am done, seems like the only thing that would come close.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:11:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MovinMan] [#4]
The trucking industry is the same.

I can have a high school drop out making $50,000 a year in three weeks. Nobody wants the work. They don't want to be gone 5 days a week or drive 11 hours a day. You know how hard it is to Facebook and twatter when you work 55 hours a week?

Add that to the fact that there are too many options that allow them not to work, like being on disability for having ADHD, why the fuck would anyone want a job?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
FUCK UNIONS!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Boom and Bust.

Tough, dangerous work too.  

I have a friend that went through the various positions on the rig and ended up a directional driller.  Makes good money.  But he wasn't working  a couple years ago because the oil fields had pretty much shut down.

I heard a person with CDL, Hazmat cert, be able to pass a drug test can get on for $80K in ND.  But the living cost is stupid expensive.  Too many people, not enough living quarters.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MovinMan:

I can have a high school drop out making $50,000 a year in three weeks. Nobody wants the work. They don't want to be gone 5 days a week or drive 11 hours a day. You know how hard it is to Facebook and twatter when you work 55 hours a week?

Add that to the fact that there are too many options that allow them not to work, like being on disability for having ADHD, why the fuck would anyone want a job?

What company?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone around here is screaming for help.
No experience needed.

If you are still warm and can pass a drug test, you can find work here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a driver for beet harvest that has been working in NoDak.  He was driving a water truck and living at his brother's place in Minot.  Their house flooded along with 4000 others, and he lived in the cab of his truck all summer.

I heard they built a $120,000,000 man camp there someplace.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larkinmusic] [#10]
I just accepted an offer from one of those employers. After my background check comes back I will be starting training, probably next week.  I'm moving six hours away, but the opportunity is worth it to me.

Personally, I think if you are a young able bodied person there is no reason to be unemployed right now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
FUCK UNIONS!!!

I see maturity has chimed in with its opinion...

Blue collar jobs are where it's at for the next few years.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I work for a service company here in ND, if you want to work 2/3rds of the year and make 100K+ just apply. Lots of hours 120 a week is normal.  Sure its tuff to find a house if you want your family here but most guys leave the family at home and stay in our mancamp for 2 weeks and then go home for your week off. If you can get a CDL and pass a drug test its easy just long hours most of it sleeping in a big red trucks sleeper waiting on the rig in my department.
If you have like money this is the place to be for the next 7-10 years
Anyone interested should IM me and ill tell you where to apply, we need 20 guys before the end of the year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:19:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MovinMan] [#13]
Originally Posted By TUBBY:
Originally Posted By MovinMan:

What company?

Many.

TMC, McElroy, Maverick, MDS.......the list goes on.

I've got students leave training with TMC that their first week out on their own take home over $1000.

We just implemented a 100% finance program for all veterans with no credit check needed, no questions asked. We can place graduates with high paying jobs as fast as they walk in the door. It can't possibly be easier and yet we struggle to fill our classes.

There's not an unemployment problem, there's a lazy problem in this country.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
FUCK UNIONS!!!

On what experience do you post this sage advice?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#15]
the bust is going to be fugly in ND
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Staggunner:
I had a driver for beet harvest that has been working in NoDak.  He was driving a water truck and living at his brother's place in Minot.  Their house flooded along with 4000 others, and he lived in the cab of his truck all summer.

I heard they built a $120,000,000 man camp there someplace.

where do I thine up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been letting everyone know about eastern Ohio

It is just beginning here in Youngstown/Warren.

They are thinking that the Utica Shale formation may be the largest oil discovery in the history of the USA.

There are land men everywhere around here and they are writing big checks.  Chesapeake drilled four horizontal wells that they have put into production....worst well 1000 barrels per day of oil and the best is 3400 barrels per day.  They can put 6 of these wells on each 700 acres from one central pad location.
Bad.... bad news for Obama.....USA will quickly be energy independent.  That piece of shit will find some way to stop it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LRB-MT:
Too many people, not enough living quarters.

Hearing the same thing. Spoke with a manager at one of the large service companies and mentioned that Hali (no he doesn't work for them) was buying up motels up in ND just for their workers to stay at.

I currently work for a smaller service company and work is booming. It is long hours and you are always away from home but the money for a young individual with no husband/wife/children to worry about is amazing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I still have my CDL and I can't count the number of times I've been recruited for this stuff. Pretty hard to pass up $7-8K a month for driving a water truck. But, I am no longer physically capable of working like that. If I was younger and healthier, I'd be all over it. Think of it like the contractor jobs in the ME, only nobody is shooting at you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By dog-meat:

Just keep the banks from overlending, which shouldn't be a problem after the subprime fiasco.  Texas and Alaska had their own banking crashes in the mid-80's when the dollar surged and the price of oil crashed.  It chastened them in a way that other parts of the country weren't in terms of lending for real estate, so there hasn't been a housing collapse here and in Texas.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been traveling away from home for 5 years to work the oilfield in Texas and OK, its long hours and away from home, but I can make 5 times the money so its worth it for me and the family.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#22]
the bakken, ND.

family member spent a week up there looking for opportunities. he was in construction before and wants a job in that area.

from what he said ND is absolutely insane. descriptions remind me of the hbo deadwood series. gazillions of folks, no place to live, rough and tumble folks in a boomtown area.

there are no places to live. if you find places they are expensive. but there is work there if you are willing. six figures if you can work your way up.

-40 before the wind chill. truck driving jobs on crummy roads, tons and tons of overtime potential.

from what i gather, welding and CDL truck driving jobs are in huge demand.

here's a hope. obama gets defeated. whoever takes his place opens up the petroleum and gas industry big time in this country. the effect on the economy could be significant and we may even be able to say fuck you to the middle east.

ND is only one place, there are others, a number of places in texas too. and work on the canadian pipeline too if we can get around the slacker in chief.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag for info and questions.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By 1Bigdog:

They are thinking that the Utica Shale formation may be the largest oil discovery in the history of the USA.

There are land men everywhere around here and they are writing big checks.  Chesapeake drilled four horizontal wells that they have put into production....worst well 1000 barrels per day of oil and the best is 3400 barrels per day.  They can put 6 of these wells on each 700 acres from one central pad location.
Bad.... bad news for Obama.....USA will quickly be energy independent.  That piece of shit will find some way to stop it.

Yeah, you can find all of the 2000 barrel of oil wells you want, the bottom line is that the US will never be energy independant unless you exploit nuclear, and even then I would be highly skeptical.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Entry level at the company I work is 75-100k with cdl. Nobody wants to work......yeah it sucks being cold, sucks doing 15 days on and 6 days off, Williston-ND sucks, but we pay you to stay in our living quarters. Need to have cdl with hazmat or have a strong electronics background. Paychecks are nice.....TT
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By targettarget:

Yeah, you can find all of the 2000 barrel of oil wells you want, the bottom line is that the US will never be energy independant unless you exploit nuclear, and even then I would be highly skeptical.

Why would you say that ? The US has just as much oil to be sucked out of the ground as we do, all they have to do is change the political climate and dispatch the whacko environmentalists, then get on to business.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Question.

I have a Friend with an old Felony. He is off probation, and is struggling to find a job. He has a CDL.

What are his chances of getting a job in the field?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkCharisma] [#28]
I really need to convince my wife to move to NoDak. I would go work oil/gas in a heartbeat if the wife was down for relocating with me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Boom and Bust.

I have a friend that went through the various positions on the rig and ended up a directional driller.  Makes good money.  But he wasn't working  a couple years ago because the oil fields had pretty much shut down.

I heard a person with CDL, Hazmat cert, be able to pass a drug test can get on for $80K in ND.  But the living cost is stupid expensive.  Too many people, not enough living quarters.

I'm one of those guys with the qualifications. No immediate housing is available in the area I want to work. I have a company interested in me and I check in often with them, on housing options.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ZByam:
Boom and Bust.

I'm one of those guys with the qualifications. No immediate housing is available in the area I want to work. I have a company interested in me and I check in often with them, on housing options.

I don't know if this is an option, but a friend of mine in HS worked out past Kemmerer in WY at a rig there, he pulled a travel trailer with his Chevy and lived there. Nice trailers are cheap as hell anymore... a hell of a lot cheaper than $1k/mo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Boom and Bust.

I have a friend that went through the various positions on the rig and ended up a directional driller. Makes good money. But he wasn't working a couple years ago because the oil fields had pretty much shut down.

I heard a person with CDL, Hazmat cert, be able to pass a drug test can get on for $80K in ND. But the living cost is stupid expensive. Too many people, not enough living quarters.

That's why the Good Lord invented RV's.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]

This is true about the oil fields. All of the older folks are retiring. The land plays are getting ready to take off and some already have.

As someone who has done technical interviews for a LARGE oil company for about a decade, if you have the skills and are willing to work, you are

needed in the oilfield.

The work is hard, you are usually away from home but the pay is there.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:

in 7-10 years your right unless the Gov screws it up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xdtac] [#34]
Originally Posted By hobbsar:
No experience needed.

Details?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By xdtac:
No experience needed.

Deatils?

Spelling error...application denied.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
I really need to convince my wife to move to NoDak. I would go work oil/gas in a heartbeat if the wife was down for relocating with me.

Some companies work a 2 week on 1 week off so skip moving her here and just live in the man camp working your ass off while your here. Also of companies here have built places to house their People.
Small comanies might have issues but we dont.  

I work for Halliburton and we bought the Olympic village unit they had in salt lake for the athletes, moved it here for our people, we also have rooms at a few other places here in town. hell we have rooms we cant fill sometimes as not enough people.
Also we opened a camp in Minot ND and next year will have a Camp in Dickinson ND. So you don't have just Williston to chose from.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Any need for I/T people?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#38]
My brother is working in ND. He makes pretty good money. Any need for electricians up there? Being a single dad would be tough though. Its winter and my grandma's place in Minot is empty right now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Originally Posted By targettarget:

Why would you say that ? The US has just as much oil to be sucked out of the ground as we do, all they have to do is change the political climate and dispatch the whacko environmentalists, then get on to business.

Umm, yeah...not even close....

FYI - a well that produces "2000 barrels of oil a day" is pretty fucking rare.  95% of the rigs I've ever worked on might find 0-300 BOD wells (300 being the EXCEPTION, not the rule).

The US consumes 20ish million barrels of oil a day.  

It takes allot of "one-off" 2000 BOD wells to produce 20,000,000 Barrels of Oil per Day.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xdtac] [#40]
PM  tripped36
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Sparky:

My brother is working in ND. He makes pretty good money. Any need for electricians up there? Being a single dad would be tough though. Its winter and my grandma's place in Minot is empty right now.

At the very least you should rent her place out.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By rpd_fire:
Question.

I have a Friend with an old Felony. He is off probation, and is struggling to find a job. He has a CDL.

What are his chances of getting a job in the field?

What CDL? A,B or C?

How long ago was his felony, what was it for?

How long has he had his CDL, how did he get it? Was it through some kind of company sponsored training or did he go to school? How recent is his experience, what kind of experience does he have.

A lot of questions, I know. But I can help him depending on the answers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
Any need for I/T people?

This
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:53:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ElectricSheep556] [#44]
If I weren't railroading, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Our generation's goldrush.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Katana16j:
Any need for I/T people?

This

Yes.  Most oilfield companies are going to throw you a default frac, cement, roustabout, etc. "hand" type job because thats what they need the most.  However there are traditional and non traditional IT positions.  There aren't that many traditional, but for non traditional, there are more.  Non traditional would end up being more of an electronics tech and IT guy.  Meaning, if a piece of equipment stops working electronically, you can deal with the hard wiring of the control systems as well as the Windows or Linux box running it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Katana16j:
Any need for I/T people?

This

Oh ya, you name it we need it. Go online to Halliburton.jobs and check it out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like a golden opportunity for someone with a little cash on the side.

Put up a few apartments and a good sized restaurant next door.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a cdl with all endorsements and have been recruited.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Soon as I get my ass back to the states I'm getting my CDL and getting me one of those oilfield jobs!!

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#50]
No experience needed.

Say what?  Where in New Mexico is that?  Oil and gas industry or something else?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 94
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top