Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2011 9:31:02 AM EDT
Is there any Republican candidate that will not cause a voting bloc to sit out the general election?

Richard Land, director of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics
and Religious Liberty Commission, is more skeptical, saying that
Gingrich’s candidacy will be a "hard sell” for many voters. Land has
been doing informal focus groups among Southern Baptists for the past
two years on Gingrich’s candidacy, as he expected Gingrich to run and be
a serious contender. He found that women are especially wary of
Gingrich.

"He’s got a gender problem,” Land says. "His toughest audience is
going to be evangelical women. Evangelical men, depending on what Newt
does and says, are more likely to give him the benefit
of the doubt.” Women, on the other hand, have told Land that they would
vote for Gingrich "under no circumstances.” If the general election
comes down to Gingrich and Obama, they say, they may just not vote.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/283472/newt-and-social-conservatives-katrina-trinko

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hes not quite Romney, that is his most likeable quality.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The media will make SURE that he is slaughtered the sheeple are "told" that he's a no-good scumbag, and most will listen and move on to - yes - Romney.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes

It's everyone else he can't win over.

Social conservatives alone will not get anyone into office. I like him but he represents the old, fat, rich, white dude establishment that the sheep in the middle are rebelling against.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
At this point it does not matter as they will vote for damn near anyone but Romney. Despite Newt's warts it's his time to shine.

Unlike Cain's stumbling with personal issues Newt does not seem to really give a shit about them though he's guilty of numerous documented "sins". To be honest he's done a great job of fending off media jabs on several levels so-far. They better come loaded for bear in a one-on-one with him.

You know he is on the right track when MS-LSD trotted out Barney Frank to call Newt a liar. It was great.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If he can convince people he will not use his dick for brains he has a serious chance.  I used to be a big supporter but he has trust issues that have yet to be restored.  Lie to us once shame on you a second time shame on us.  I'll wait and see for now and stay off the bandwagon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't care that he's been divorced twice, I could give a shit less

Anybody that would stay home ( assuming he gets the nomination ) and not vote for him because he's not " moral enough " is  an asshole
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Win them over? He travels the country selling it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Anybody that would stay home ( assuming he gets the nomination ) and not vote for him because he's not " moral enough " is  an asshole

I isn't because he was divorced twice.  Its because he was willing to impeach Clinton for what he was doing and hiding himself.  It is because he had ethics issues and was forced to pay a $300,000 fine and resign as speaker.  It was because he thought he could compromise with the nut case left and we wouldn't care.  Sorry you don't get it but many do and Newt will have to show he can walk a straight line if he wants trusted again.  Making crazy remarks and calling the people you are trying to persuade to your side "assholes" won't help his cause either, genius.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The media will make SURE that he is slaughtered the sheeple are "told" that he's a no-good scumbag, and most will listen and move on to - yes - Romney.
CMOS

It's my mission to make sure ARFCOM knows he is a "no-good scumbag".

Remember the Lautenberg Domestic Violence Amendments?  Gingrich allowed that one to pass the Republican-controlled Congress.

Remember the re-authorization of the Gun Free Schools Act, after the Supreme Court said it was flat-out unconsitutional?  Yep, Newt's fingerprints are all over that one, too.

Now, I'm not a purist, and if it by chance it comes down to Newt vs. Obama I will gladly hold my nose and vote for Newt.  Even with his flaws he's 1,000 times better than our current president.

But based on the ARFCOM Romney Precedent –– Anyone who supports a gun ban anywhere is forever unworthy of gun owner support –– if we're going to be consistent then this thread should be full of nothing but "F*ck Newt!" and "Obama Lite!" and "NO MORE RINOS!" comments.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Newt Gingrich is selling the Republicans a line of bullshit right now because he knows what people want to hear. He is the model of a two faced, lying politician and he'll fuck conservatives of every type, (social, fiscal, whatever) right up the ass as soon as he has power again.

Newt is the ultimate smooth talker. He knows exactly what to say to people to get them to vote for him (or give him pussy, as evidenced by his inability to keep his fly zipped) and the dolts are so desperate to be loved that they're buying it hook, line and sinker. He's hypnotizing Republicans with a bunch of smooth talk to get us into the sack, but once he gets what he wants from us he'll get dressed and go home, leaving us naked and feeling used. Newt Gingrich is a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#13]
For some reason, I've never trusted Newt.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I isn't because he was divorced twice. Its because he was willing to impeach Clinton for what he was doing and hiding himself. It is because he had ethics issues and was forced to pay a $300,000 fine and resign as speaker. It was because he thought he could compromise with the nut case left and we wouldn't care. Sorry you don't get it but many do and Newt will have to show he can walk a straight line if he wants trusted again...

The thing is, most GOP voters are already well aware of these things and he is rising to the top of the polls in spite of such.

I cited his considerable personal and political "baggage" early on as a liability he could not overcome and, more and more, it appears I misjudged (good or bad) the voting public re: the influence of such things.

(ETA:  It probably says as much about the perceived quality of the rest of the field as it does about him. )

There's an easy explanation for that: People are idiots.

The Republican electorate is acting like a bar fly right now. Conservatives feel so unloved and unwanted that they're willing to spread 'em for anyone willing to buy them a couple of drinks and tell them how pretty and special they are. In the morning though, Newt will put his pants on, go home and leave us sitting by the phone, waiting for the call that will never come.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Anyone who sits out the general election, no matter who gets the nod, is an asshole.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#16]
On many policy matters, Newt is clearly the smartest guy in the room. His problem is he has basically proven himself to be a weapons grade scum bag in his personal life which will come back to haunt him if he makes it to the general election.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Newt Gingrich is selling the Republicans a line of bullshit right now because he knows what people want to hear. He is the model of a two faced, lying politician and he'll fuck conservatives of every type, (social, fiscal, whatever) right up the ass as soon as he has power again.

Newt is the ultimate smooth talker. He knows exactly what to say to people to get them to vote for him (or give him pussy, as evidenced by his inability to keep his fly zipped) and the dolts are so desperate to be loved that they're buying it hook, line and sinker. He's hypnotizing Republicans with a bunch of smooth talk to get us into the sack, but once he gets what he wants from us he'll get dressed and go home, leaving us naked and feeling used. Newt Gingrich is a piece of shit.

Your post leaves me feeling strangely aroused.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I isn't because he was divorced twice.  Its because he was willing to impeach Clinton for what he was doing and hiding himself.  It is because he had ethics issues and was forced to pay a $300,000 fine and resign as speaker.  It was because he thought he could compromise with the nut case left and we wouldn't care.  Sorry you don't get it but many do and Newt will have to show he can walk a straight line if he wants trusted again.  Making crazy remarks and calling the people you are trying to persuade to your side "assholes" won't help his cause either, genius.

The time between then and now will be called his "wilderness period" if he would pull off a win. That said I don't think there is much Churchill in him but time will tell.  

When you look at what could happen with a second Zero term I have to agree you are a complete ass-hole to stay home because your feel-goods are hurt. Anyway, who said election-day would not turn into a hold you nose moment?

Hell, if I absolutely had to I'd even vote for Perry over Zero.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Newt isn't Obama.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Remember the Lautenberg Domestic Violence Amendments?  Gingrich allowed that one to pass the Republican-controlled Congress.

Remember the re-authorization of the Gun Free Schools Act, after the Supreme Court said it was flat-out unconsitutional?  Yep, Newt's fingerprints are all over that one, too.

Now, I'm not a purist, and if it by chance it comes down to Newt vs. Obama I will gladly hold my nose and vote for Newt.  Even with his flaws he's 1,000 times better than our current president.

But based on the ARFCOM Romney Precedent –– Anyone who supports a gun ban anywhere is forever unworthy of gun owner support –– if we're going to be consistent then this thread should be full of nothing but "F*ck Newt!" and "Obama Lite!" and "NO MORE RINOS!" comments.

Can't argue with those points.  However, do you believe Newt is better than Romney?  Probably so....

CMOS

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I see you took Perry for President out of you sig line. Fancy that.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Can't argue with those points.  However, do you believe Newt is better than Romney?  Probably so....

CMOS

Cain>Perry>>>>Paul>Newt>>>>>>>>>Romney

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Remember the Lautenberg Domestic Violence Amendments? Gingrich allowed that one to pass the Republican-controlled Congress.

Remember the re-authorization of the Gun Free Schools Act, after the Supreme Court said it was flat-out unconsitutional? Yep, Newt's fingerprints are all over that one, too.

Now, I'm not a purist, and if it by chance it comes down to Newt vs. Obama I will gladly hold my nose and vote for Newt. Even with his flaws he's 1,000 times better than our current president.

Can't argue with those points. However, do you believe Newt is better than Romney? Probably so....

CMOS

Nope.  Newt has already shown that he's susceptible to media-driven polling pressure.  That was the reason he helped shepherd those two laws through the House:  It was pure pandering to the Soccer Moms for the 1996 presidential election.

Newt is better than Obama –– so too is Romney ––  but neither is my preferred candidate.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's the deal. Newt may possibly be, the smartest guy in D.C. I was listening to the O' Reilly Town Hall on the radio two weeks ago. Not only did Bill sound drunk, but he very arrogantly opened his interview with Gingrich by telling him it was pretty much curtains for him.

I was not surprised as I have almost no respect for Bill O' Reilly.  Gingrich, then fires right back at O'Reilly and basically says "watch me bitch" and then he shoots to the top.

Could it be flavor of the month, desperation, Newt's debate performance? Who knows. But the guy is, IMHO extremely intelligent. He's a morally bankrupt man, that's nothing to be proud of.

Newt is not however, a social conservative, which gets him tons of praise from me. I think the man has the potential to make some decent economic decisions. I think he'd be fairly hesitant to wage war, which is a good thing.

I think if he could get there, Gingrich could be a really good president. He has serious image problems, but I'm not sure how much that matters right now, the country is really in a bad position.

I'd get behind Gingrich if he won the nomination. That's cool. Not my first choice, but Newt I could live with.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. Too bad about Rick huh?

He's done such great things for Texas, but he just isn't going to make it through the primaries. Damn shame too.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm not really a social conservative, and I think he's gutterslime.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're such a dick, in such an awesome and glorious way You sir, totally give me something to strive for. I like your style
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Newt isn't Obama.

Different isn't better. Remember what voting for change got us.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think he's better gutter slime than Romney gutter slime.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm old enough to remember the "contract with America" and how Newt completely blew it. He had his chance to change washington DC. For awhile he was more powerfull than the president. But he did NOTHING of any substance.

I dont care that he is an old fat divorced white guy. I care that he is an impotent establishment old fat divorced white guy with no follow through.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The time between then and now will be called his "wilderness period" if he would pull off a win. That said I don't think there is much Churchill in him but time will tell.  

When you look at what could happen with a second Zero term I have to agree you are a complete ass-hole to stay home because your feel-goods are hurt. Anyway, who said election-day would not turn into a hold you nose moment?

Hell, if I absolutely had to I'd even vote for Perry over Zero.

I agree.  To not vote is no solution I agree as I stated in a previous post he does have to prove he has learned his lesson.  His actions will speak far louder than his good speeches.  I consider Daffy Duck a better alternative to Obuma so who ever wins the primary will get my vote no matter how hard I have to hold my nose.  I just can't countenance calling those I'm trying to win over names.  I prefer the high ground to help the candidate whoever it might be in the end.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Posts like this one are the reason I suspect most of the Romney hate on this site is just Mormon hate in disguise.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Newt isn't Obama.

Antifreeze is a slower death than Anthrax, but they both kill ya.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I like his books
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Posts like this one are the reason I suspect most of the Romney hate on this site is just Mormon hate in disguise.

Do Christians have to "hate" Mormons to not support one for president?  There is something in the middle between love and hate and those in that middle ground are not presidential to everyone.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do Christians have to "hate" Mormons to not support one for president? There is something in the middle between love and hate and those in that middle ground are not presidential to everyone.

Romney has never been divorced, never cheated on his wife, never resigned in disgrace, never been the focus of ethics investigations.  About the only thing he is guilty of is selling out conservatives in order to pander to liberals –– something Newt has also done, in spades, and on the federal level, no less.

To claim that Romney is somehow more "slimy" than Newt suggests to me that there is something more visceral about his dislike.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:11:26 AM EDT
[#37]
As a agnostic I don't understand the supposed resentment Christians have against Mormons anyway. Must be the wives thing.

Crips and Bloods of the Cross?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#39]
But he never got better....
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do Christians have to "hate" Mormons to not support one for president?  There is something in the middle between love and hate and those in that middle ground are not presidential to everyone.

Right on.   I'm as fundamental a Christian as they come but Obuma must be replaced with a president who can restore our basic freedoms.  Seeing as Romney supported .gov healthcare and a few other things that Obuma has how do I know he won't fold in the middle of the fight to get rid of these things that in the past he supported?  I see two candidates with the only difference being a teleprompter?  I'm willing to be convinced by actions but not words.  Yes, I would like to know my president is sensitive to God's wisdom and if all things were equal except his faith, Mormonism might be an issue but such is not the case.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If he can convince people he will not use his dick for brains he has a serious chance.  I used to be a big supporter but he has trust issues that have yet to be restored.  Lie to us once shame on you a second time shame on us.  I'll wait and see for now and stay off the bandwagon.

This....he kind of welched on his "Contract With America' when he allowed the republicans to outspend the dems when they were in power...it's hard to trust him..although he's a MUCH easier choice than Rombo.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

As a agnostic I don't understand the supposed resentment Christians have against Mormons anyway. Must be the wives thing.

Read up on what Mormonism is actually about. I personally have no qualms against Mormons or what they believe in, but many "traditional" Christians do.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#43]
So we have-

A flip-flopper with character.

And a flip-flopper without character.

And the question is which one beats Obama.

It's a good thing this isn't 1911. Catholics were as frowned upon as Mormons by many.

That would really make it a tough call.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh wow. I never even considered disliking Mormons. You have freaked even me out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read up on what Mormonism is actually about. I personally have no qualms against Mormons or what they believe in, but many "traditional" Christians do.  

Just thought their might be a quick answer. I don't even know what a "traditional" Christian is.

Meh.....I really don't care one way or the other. Just another religion to me. I don't pay them much mind till they start blowing shit up or forcing their beliefs on me. Game-on then.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Newt isn't Obama.

Antifreeze is a slower death than Anthrax, but they both kill ya.  

The trouble is we're not being offered a choice between mana from heaven and putrescent, ecoil-infected, rancid, puss-dripping meat.

It appears we're going to be handed a choice between a kick in the nuts or a national beheading.

The R field is unpleasant. Of the current contenders, Newt may be the least unpleasant. That's certainly not a great rallying cry..."Vote for me because I suck the least."...but it appears to be all we're getting this year.

As for Romney hatred - My dislike for Romney has nothing to do with his faith....it's got everything to do with my faith that the guy will fuck us over on seriously important shit. Both Bushes fucked us over on important shit, too. I see Romney as that, only without the good things Bush did. The very fact that he's the libs favorite R candidate should be sufficient reason to flee from him in terror.

Hey, you know where I stand. I'm nor fan of Newt, but next to my guy, he's really the only guy that isn't a drooling fool. Which takes us back to yesterday, which we don't need to do.

Gingrich could possibly be the guy that everyone could hate the least as a group. Is that horrible? No.

Gingrich could literally wipe his ass with Obama in any debate setting at any point in the history of anything, ever.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#48]
There are definitely some Mormon haters on here, like that one guy who gets warned or kicked out of every Mormon-related thread on here.

You can insert any term you want in place of "Mormon", though. Anything you can name has people on here who hate it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just thought their might be a quick answer. I don't even know what a "traditional" Christian is.

Meh.....I really don't care one way or the other. Just another religion to me. I don't pay them much mind till they start blowing shit up or forcing their beliefs on me. Game-on then.

Whatever man. Christians, Jews, Mormons, Bahai's, Wiccans. I really couldn't give a shit because I'm not paying attention to any of them anyway.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#50]
If you want a slime-free candidate, I suggest taking a look at Gary Johnson.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top