Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2011 10:51:14 PM EDT
Can you use the moeny you spend on the buyback as a tax write off?

I've allways used H&R block for my taxes but this year I am gonna do them myself with Turbo Tax.

I am having the moeny taken out fo each paycheck to buy back retirement time from other departments.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for the AM crew.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought back eight years from another department two years ago.  The cash out of pocket was substantial.

I asked around and finally talked to IRS, they told me that I could not deduct the buy back money, but I could have it deducted as a percentage from my pension earnings, when the pension paid out.  Good luck with that.

I was still worth every penny, even with the tax bite.  I'm retired now, and glad I invested the money.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bought back eight years from another department two years ago.  The cash out of pocket was substantial.

I asked around and finally talked to IRS, they told me that I could not deduct the buy back money, but I could have it deducted as a percentage from my pension earnings, when the pension paid out.  Good luck with that.

I was still worth every penny, even with the tax bite.  I'm retired now, and glad I invested the money.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to be clear, are we talking about buying retirement credits, or cashing them out?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, are we talking about buying retirement credits, or cashing them out?

Buying back prior years of service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top