Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 7:15:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Let's see... they law was [u]originally[/u] designed to help prevent domestic violence, but now a County Commissioner feels like a "victim" of this man's menacing speech, so they take him to jail.  Couldn't she just get a TRO to keep his distance?  

And I'm no lawyer (thank God! -- sorry ETH & others) and I don't even play one on TV, but can't they hold you for 24 hours without charging you?  I'm not sure, I generally try to be a good citizen so I have no experience in this area!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Chuck....you are kidding right....yes they can hold you...24 hours or up to 72 if you don't have ID and if the feds get involved they can hold you as long as they want.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
hound, I hope [i]you are[/i] kidding.  Why can the feds hold you as long as they want, assuming you're not an enemy combatant?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Milum and Sweeney are among a group of residents who believe government in the fast-growing metro county is corrupt
View Quote
Here is the crux of the matter.  Forsyth County is a corrupt, good ol' boy county.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Well that's just great. Now because you "scare" someone, you can be arrested? People say I am physically intimidating. Guess I better pack my toothbrush.

/rude Forsyth county.

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Personal history...acquatance was picked up by the feds and held for three days----no charges
no lawyer, no contact. I wasn't even going to bring up the current situation where a man has been in custody without being charged since October.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
IIRC the "good faith" warrant is another product of the "war on drugs", specifically Exclusionary Rule Reform which was contained in S-1970 (back in 1990 and later in 1995 with HR666). Before this any evidence not obtained legally, with a proper warrant with probable causei in inadmissible in court.

Basically it legalized fishing expedition warrants, whereby anything "illegal" obtained is admissible in court UNLESS the defendant can prove that there was reckless disregard of the truth by the judge or that the judge provided approval of the warrant without exercising a neutral and detached review of the application of the warrant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top