[#1]
Taxpayer money...
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Good award.
This shit has to stop.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Good. Shooting dogs because they bark loudly and are seemingly aggressive needs to end. It wouldn't be so bad if the "wrong house" raids weren't so common, either. The court admins need to get their shit straight on that end.

One of my labs barks up something fierce when he hears a knock or a noise and looks like he will tear your face off, but whence gets to you all he does is lick.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good award.
This shit has to stop.

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, more like 330,000 for wrongful arrest and 3k (from the officer who fired and his supervisor who ordered him to) for shooting the dog.

eta: Seriously tho... who shoots a freaking LAB?  Was the cop afraid of getting beaten to death by it's tail?
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Taxpayer money...

Do they have insurance for things like this?
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Actually, more like 330,000 for wrongful arrest and 3k (from the officer who fired and his supervisor who ordered him to) for shooting the dog.

eta: Seriously tho... who shoots a freaking LAB?  Was the cop afraid of getting beaten to death by it's tail?

Those tails hurt.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#8]
No kidding.

My Lab's tail cleared my coffee table more than once.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good award.
This shit has to stop.

This....

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those tails hurt.

yes they do.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
We had a case in okla where a deputy drives on to a farm to ask directions....when he gets out an airedale (yes a freaking airdale!) runs up to him...The deputy shoots the airdale and drives off..When questioned the department claimed the dog tried to attack the deputy...until the homeowner produced security camera vid

run its an airedale!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good award.
This shit has to stop.

If you do something bad, and someone else has to write a check, are you deterred from doing bad things?

Start taking these judgments out of the pockets of the individuals committing the bad acts.  Then this shit will stop.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:52:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Taxpayer money...

Needs to come out of the PD budget.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
$2,000 was levied against Officer Antonsen for shooting the dog,

Not nearly enough.  Everything else is not CoC compliant...
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good award.
This shit has to stop.

If you do something bad, and someone else has to write a check, are you deterred from doing bad things?

Start taking these judgments out of the pockets of the individuals committing the bad acts.  Then this shit will stop.

Our only hope is said governing agency idiot works for will get pressured to clamp down on it. However I agree, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Apparently having an IQ above 75 disqualifies one from being a police officer these days.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should only be for the actual retail value of the property destroyed.

If I were the Cop I would pay willingly
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Save $330k and get them a puppy from someone giving them away for free.

Fucking ridiculous to pay $330,000 for a dog...
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to argue with you on this point since I generally agree.  However, who and how is the retail value of a dog determined?

Do you look at the breed's purchase cost and then add in the cost of ownership per year times the number of years owned?  This would seem the only logical way to assign value to a life.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's not ridiculous if the monetary amount is punitive and attempting to prevent further actions of a similar nature.

The judge decided the police had no legal standing to shoot this dog.  They are being punished for their actions.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be a lot more Money for my dog.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Fucking ridiculous, not reading the story fully, before making ignorant posts.

Most of the monetary award was for the illegal arrest that was also occurring when they entered the home (wrongfully).

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:21:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not ridiculous if the monetary amount is punitive and attempting to prevent further actions of a similar nature.

The judge decided the police had no legal standing to shoot this dog.  They are being punished for their actions.

How's it preventing further actions of a similar nature? Taxpayers or insurance are the ones who have to work the hours or whatever to foot the bill. If its insurance, it still comes from taxpayers. So in the end, we the taxpayers better learn our lesson about having our police shoot dogs, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was only 2k for the dog which unless it was some type of AKC breeder is way out of the norm.

Again.. the family should be compensated not only for the cost of the dog, but for the cost of all the years of ownership of the dog and the resulting vet bills, shots, toys, ect ect. Fuck cops who go around shooting dogs for no reason. If someone shot your kid would you be satisfied if they went to an orphanage and dumped another kid on your doorstep as a replacement? While a dog is not a child, I honestly like my dog more than most people.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking ridiculous, not reading the story fully, before making ignorant posts.
Most of the monetary award was for the illegal arrest that was also occurring when they entered the home (wrongfully).

Needs repeating.

Magazine have you seen how much it costs to just purchase police dogs?
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Our cockapoo barks at everything - people sneezing, a loud truck driving buy - and he barks at people he doesn't know but he is not an aggressive dog. If the police killed my dog, I would sue their asses off.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to argue with you on this point since I generally agree.  However, who and how is the retail value of a dog determined?

Do you look at the breed's purchase cost and then add in the cost of ownership per year times the number of years owned?  This would seem the only logical way to assign value to a life.

What does a 9 yr old lab cost? $50? Free? Do you get gas, oil changes and tires if you total a vehicle?

I 99.9% agree with your posts too, but I'm failing to see your point here.  How do you put a value on a living pet?  We're not talking about fish here.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys are some cold-hearted bastards today. Price on a dog? REALLY?!

How many in here have ended up in tears when their canine pal died?  

How many here have had to explain to a child that their canine pal died?

As far as I'm concerned its pretty damn close to shooting a human, and if it is done in error (IE wrong house or malicious use of a sidearm as evidenced in the video above) punitive damages are the order of the day.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does a 9 yr old lab cost? $50? Free? Do you get gas, oil changes and tires if you total a vehicle?

I 99.9% agree with your posts too, but I'm failing to see your point here.  How do you put a value on a living pet?  We're not talking about fish here.

Sounds like you're trying to reason with someone with an ice cold heart.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah...  I bet Bama is a big ole teddy bear inside...

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was only 2k for the dog which unless it was some type of AKC breeder is way out of the norm.

Again.. the family should be compensated not only for the cost of the dog, but for the cost of all the years of ownership of the dog and the resulting vet bills, shots, toys, ect ect. Fuck cops who go around shooting dogs for no reason. If someone shot your kid would you be satisfied if they went to an orphanage and dumped another kid on your doorstep as a replacement? While a dog is not a child, I honestly like my dog more than most people.

+1 People who are not Dog lovers will never understand
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have some serious anxiety issues(courtesy of the Army), and my dogs are the only reason I feel safe leaving the house or sleeping at night.  I couldn't imagine not having them due to some dyslexic fuck who can't read street addresses.  Pain and suffering should be included.  As they say "stupid hurts," and when someone projects their stupid on an innocent person they are hurting them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah...  I bet Bama is a big Ole teddy bear inside...

Are you saying Bama is Bearish?
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Taxpayer money...

And its the tax payers who put these bozos into office.  They share as much of the blame as the police.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you are a dog lover or not. Dogs are property, plain and simple. Just like a couch or a lamp or a box of chex mix.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As far as I'm concerned its pretty damn close to shooting a human, and if it is done in error (IE wrong house or malicious use of a sidearm as evidenced in the video above) punitive damages are the order of the day.  

I'd have no problem shooting a dog, if I felt at all threatened. To each his own...

We live in a touchy feely society, so I'm not surprised at all by this verdict.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#41]
9-year-old Labrador
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would settle $0, provided I got to put a round in your dog that your family loves. Then we'll call it even.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That may or may not be, the fact is that it shouldn't matter.

Justice and Law is(should) be about logical application of facts and NOT emotion.

So, logically, how do you assign value to a dog's life?  

The method I can quantify with out using emotion is to add up the costs of purchase/ownership over the life of the dog.  This is how much the dogs ownership has cost the Owner, and logically how much the Owner should be reimbursed for the early termination of this owner/pet relationship.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you are a dog lover or not. Dogs are property, plain and simple. Just like a couch or a lamp or a box of chex mix.

Ask my wife who she would be more upset about the cops shooting, her dog or me.  After the awkward pause she might say me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have no problem shooting a dog, if I felt at all threatened. To each his own...

We live in a touchy feely society, so I'm not surprised at all by this verdict.

Perhaps you shouldn't leave your house, you seem skittish.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel the same way about my snowmobile. Love that thing. If you haven't ridden an SRX700, you wouldn't understand.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would settle $0, provided I got to put a round in your dog that your family loves. Then we'll call it even.

That works. Shoot the cop's dog in front of his kid and call it even.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel the same way about my snowmobile. Love that thing. If you haven't ridden an SRX700, you wouldn't understand.

Your snowmobile isn't alive. If you don't comprehend the difference between shooting a dog and shooting a snowmobile, you're fucked in the head.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may or may not be, the fact is that it shouldn't matter.

Justice and Law is(should) be about logical application of facts and NOT emotion.

So, logically, how do you assign value to a dog's life?  

The method I can quantify with out using emotion is to add up the costs of purchase/ownership over the life of the dog.  This is how much the dogs ownership has cost the Owner, and logically how much the Owner should be reimbursed for the early termination of this owner/pet relationship.

Call Brinks get a quote for a year of service, then call and get a quote for a body guard for 24/7 protection for a year  That would be my starting price since essentially these are two of the services provided by the dog most people don't take into account.  Don't believe me?  How many home invasions happen when dogs are in the house compared to households without one?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top