Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 10:54:05 PM EDT
It was on here tonight. I tried not to watch it, but was overruled, I might as well just gone and watched it as I HEARD every damn word of it, even though I hid in my bedroom they BLASTED the television so I had no choice.

I hate attempts to analyze our going into Vietnam. Why? Because no one ever asks the right question. I listened to this whole BS movie about LBJ. All there was, was more whining about the Vietnamese being Supermen again.

Not once was the word LAOS uttered in the entire movie. Cant anyone read a damn map?

Yet the whole story of our failure in South East Asia is centered on Laos. If we hadn't given up Laos, without a fight, in 1962 there would have been no Ho Che Minh trail, no way for the North to funnel troops and material into the South to continue the insurgency. Laos dominated the whole narrow "waist" area of Vietnam. And it was the high ground, everything through Vietnam to the sea was down hill.

There has NEVER been a adaquate explination of why LBJ's people ignored the Laotian situation. Almost as soon as the agreement to declare Laos a neutral country was signed in 1962 the Communists were violating the agreement. From the very begining of our combat involvement in Vietnam we knew what they were doing there and could prove it. Yet except for the CIA's pathetic little private war, started very late in the Johnson administration, and the attempts at bombing by the Nixon administration we ignored everything that went on there.

No one has every questioned this
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You're neglecting the fundamental problem.  LBJ was not presidential material and he was being advised by some of the most ignorant and arrogant people of the era-- read that Robert MacNamara especially.  Those guys couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were printed on the heel.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was a good movie.

For me, it brought home the consequences of not "cleaning house" (aka MacNamara and others) of advisors. But trying to be PC and retaining advisors that you don't trust.

I also enjoyed seeing the generals realizing "which side their bread is buttered on" by pandering their information to MacNamara.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top