Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2011 11:29:45 AM EDT
I recently picked up a "scratch and dent" PC from the Dell Outlet during their 20% off & free shipping promotion.  I scored a decent deal (less than the cost of components + Windows License), but the PC I snagged doesn't have quite as much RAM as I would like.  I'm comfortable with opening PCs and installing components, but I've lost track of what kinds of RAM are compatible with the various motherboards/socket types/processors,etc..  Since upgrades directly from Dell are (generally speaking) a ripoff, I was hoping to do the upgrade myself with some cheap RAM from Newegg or Tigerdirect.

The PC is coming with 3GB RAM and I'm hoping to double that up to 6GB.  Below is the spec sheet from my order and, to me, it might as well be in Sanskrit.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for some compatible RAM?

Also, this PC is purposed as a general all purpose machine with some light gaming.  I plan on swapping out the stock PSU and video card for the ones from my current PC.  Will I have any issue with installing my ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB GDDR3 Memory) in the new PC?

Studio XPS 8100 Desktop, Intel Core i7

Base, Mini Tower, Non Pfc, Configure To Order, Studio Xps,8100
Module, Label, Microsoft, Desktop, Windows Seven
Module, Thermal, 95W, MNTW/SLTW
Module, Processor, Lynnfield, I7-860, 2.8, XPS DT
Module, Label, Intel, Desktop    CI7, Rebranding
Module, Plug, VIDEO, JACK, High Definition Multimedia Interface, Digital Video Interface
Module, Dvd+/-rw And Bd-rom, BARE, Plds, INS
Module, Cord, Power, 125, C13, GRAY, United States
Module, Dual In-line Memory    Module, 3G, 3X1GB, 1333, Dimension
Module, Hard Drive, 1TB, 7.2K    PHAR-XLOB
Module, Card,Graphics, M114N, STUDIO XPS
Module, Keyboard, 104, United    States, KWM9C1
Ship Group, Mini Tower, English, Dell Americas Organization, SXPS 8100

Please let me know if you need any additional information.  Many thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for night crew.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
really cannot go wrong with Kingston or Corsair ram.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me check newegg for some ram. brb

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a "scratch and dent" PC from the Dell Outlet during their 20% off & free shipping promotion.  I scored a decent deal (less than the cost of components + Windows License), but the PC I snagged doesn't have quite as much RAM as I would like.  I'm comfortable with opening PCs and installing components, but I've lost track of what kinds of RAM are compatible with the various motherboards/socket types/processors,etc..  Since upgrades directly from Dell are (generally speaking) a ripoff, I was hoping to do the upgrade myself with some cheap RAM from Newegg or Tigerdirect.

The PC is coming with 3GB RAM and I'm hoping to double that up to 6GB.  Below is the spec sheet from my order and, to me, it might as well be in Sanskrit.  Can anyone point me in the right direction for some compatible RAM?

Also, this PC is purposed as a general all purpose machine with some light gaming.  I plan on swapping out the stock PSU and video card for the ones from my current PC.  Will I have any issue with installing my ATI Radeon HD 4850 (512MB GDDR3 Memory) in the new PC?

Studio XPS 8100 Desktop, Intel Core i7

Base, Mini Tower, Non Pfc, Configure To Order, Studio Xps,8100
Module, Label, Microsoft, Desktop, Windows Seven
Module, Thermal, 95W, MNTW/SLTW
Module, Processor, Lynnfield, I7-860, 2.8, XPS DT
Module, Label, Intel, Desktop    CI7, Rebranding
Module, Plug, VIDEO, JACK, High Definition Multimedia Interface, Digital Video Interface
Module, Dvd+/-rw And Bd-rom, BARE, Plds, INS
Module, Cord, Power, 125, C13, GRAY, United States
Module, Dual In-line Memory    Module, 3G, 3X1GB, 1333, Dimension
Module, Hard Drive, 1TB, 7.2K    PHAR-XLOB
Module, Card,Graphics, M114N, STUDIO XPS
Module, Keyboard, 104, United    States, KWM9C1
Ship Group, Mini Tower, English, Dell Americas Organization, SXPS 8100

Please let me know if you need any additional information.  Many thanks in advance.  

Which version of Windows 7?
Home or Pro?
32-bit or 64-bit?

It looks like you have three 1GB sticks of DDR3.

Assuming you have a 64-bit OS you should be able to replace them with a pair of 4GB sticks - look in your manual or contact Dell to be sure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
This should work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

Just get whatever cheapo DDR3 1333 memory will fit in it and isn't over 1.65v (not much new memory that is), should be < $40.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Home or Pro?

32-bit or 64-bit?

Assuming you have a 64-bit OS you should be able to replace them with a pair of 4GB sticks - look in your manual or contact Dell to be sure.

Home 64 bit.  

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm definitely heading in the right direction.  

I did specifically request upgrading to 6GB, but I had no idea RAM is so cheap nowadays.  Would I have any compatibility problem(s) if I picked up 3 of the "Cheap" 4GB DDR3 sticks?

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up 12 gb for around 60 dollars.  Newegg has sales all the time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home or Pro?

32-bit or 64-bit?

Home 64 bit.  

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm definitely heading in the right direction.  

I did specifically request upgrading to 6GB, but I had no idea RAM is so cheap nowadays.  Would I have any compatibility problem(s) if I picked up 3 of the "Cheap" 4GB DDR3 sticks?

Should be fine, but probably overkill.  I run a VirtualBox VM, tons of browser windows, Visual Studio, etc.. in 8G of memory and it's fine.

That chip only has a dual channel controller, by the way, so 3 DIMMs won't improve performance over 2.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That chip only has a dual channel controller, by the way, so 3 DIMMs won't improve performance over 2.

Yep.  I am wondering if it is on a Dell proprietary mobo?  Most LGA1155 systems I see have RAM slots in multiples of two, not three.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I am wondering if it is on a Dell proprietary mobo?  Most LGA1155 systems I see have RAM slots in multiples of two, not three.  

Then why would they ship the PC with 3 DIMMs?  Three 1GB DIMMs, to be exact.  

Thanks again for all the input.  Right now I'm leaning towards pulling one of the 1GB sticks and adding 2x 2GB sticks.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top