Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 9:53:12 PM EDT
one of my friends wants to get an M17S instead of an AR-15. i've told him to go with the AR-15 instead, because it's far superior overall. does anyone know any drawbacks to it? i'm sure they've gotta be huge, otherwise everyone would be talking about it and Bushmaster wouldn't have dropped it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M17.  It is a cool handy little rifle.  With a 21" barrel it is shorter than a shorty with the stock collapsed.  Problems are that it is heavy, iron sights suck so you have to use a red dot or scope, scopes suck because it is hard to get enough eye relief while holding the rifle comfortably, it gets HOT while doing extended firing, and it is for righties only.

If I could only have one it would definitely be an AR.  A much more flexible, ergonomic platform.  But the M17 with a red dot makes a great second rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The 17 needs ALOT more R&D.  It was my first gun, trying to save money instead of buying an AR. First thing to go was part of the triger mechanasim. It only had about 100 rds thru it when SNAP!! it broke. luckily i work in a sheet metal shop and made one out of aluminum, far better than the plastic junk. Actually first thing was the bar that connects the trigger to the hammer (about 1 foot long) "walked" so after about 2 shots the trigger pull was about 20LBS (no joke) a lead sinker hammered flat and cut then superglued solved this. The third was the junk sight system, i removed the crap carry handle, mounted the weaver rail to the housing of the gun, and scoped it from there.  Fourth is the square receiver, hard to get used to. Only 1 good side is the accuracy, as good, if not better, then my 20" Target Bushmaster. But all in all, tell him NO!!! If cost is a concern get a stripped lower and a parts kit, he'll be much happier, and it costs about the same.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the M17S take AR magazines?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The design is not without inefficiencies, if not downright flaws. I've addressed all on my "M17Sk" and now consider the M17S rifle in many ways superior to the AR15.

-One prime example of this not yet mentioned is that due to the AR18 -derived gas system the M17S doesn't shit where it eats, like the ARs do. Makes for at the least an easier gun to clean, at the most, a more reliable weapon.

you can read about my "M17Sk" [url=www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=19108]here[/url].

P3[pyro][^][heavy]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top