Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 8:09:58 PM EDT
The last couple days some kids have been using our yard as a "shortcut".  The first time only my wife was home, and asked them to stay off our property.  Later they went back through it again, and she videotaped them and said she would call the police.  So tonight I was downstairs watching a movie and notice out the window a few kids coming through our yard.  I went out and told them to get off our yard, and next time they are here I'm dousing them with pepper spray.  I got my wife to take a look and she says it was the same ones as the first time.  The police dept. is closed (small town) so we'll probably call them monday and see what they recommend.  Any good ideas?  Would it be against the law to pepper spray trespassers?  Especially kids?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yah...a no tresspassing sign is a good thing, even though they've recieved repeated warnings.

Me, I don't see anything wrong with breaking out a big pumpgun and racking the chamber (empty or not, your choice :) )...that sound alone should cause several of the kids to rapidly download some brownwear.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ummm, ya' might wanna' rethink the use of pepper spray.

You sound like the cranky old fart that we used to torment back in the old days.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Dousing unarmed children with pepper spray is generally frowned upon. In some circles it may lead to an inexplicable fire in the douser's home while he is away. It may also lead perhaps an odd but exceedingly violent beating by a hooded man with a baseball bat who comes up suddenly out of nowhere and leaves the douser in the hospital for an extended stay. That being said, is your property posted? If not then you are SOL in most states. You may want to try using the hose on them or simply following them home and talking to the parents. Another favorite is to get one of those hose attachments that is used to spray fertilizer or pesticide and fill it with doe scent. Just some ideas, hope it works out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Pepper Spray will= civil suit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Is this the front yard or back yard?
How old are these kids?
Do you know who owns them?
Pepper spray would be a bad thing.
Lawn sprinklers would be a good thing.

I lived on a corner house that had a large lot, the neighborhood kids used to play on it since the city had put a school bus stop there.
After a year of picking up Johnny and Janes trash and replacing/repairing the damage done to the yard I installed one large commercial rain bird sprinkler and set it on a timer that started 15 minutes before the school bus picked up and 15 minutes bfore the school bus dropped off. I was unable to properly adjust the sprinkler as it always seemed to hit the bench.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
ALRIGHT!!!! We'll stop. Don't shoot or spray us.  We just hate having to walk all the way around.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to flame, but............. I cut thru many yards as a kid, on the way to a friend's house or on the way home from school. I didn't bother anything nor did I act stupid so the homeowner would be leery of me.

Had I been one of those kids you have run off I would have JUST LIVED for Halloween to roll around. And maybe not have waited until then.

I would've offered the boys a coke & perhaps explained that you had concerns about wearing a rut in the yard from their walking. Now you've probably gone beyond the point of no-return. My .o2
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Pull out your Red Ryder and empty out on them.

[img]http://www.1stopweaponsshop.com/images/red_ryder.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
What's it like where you live? Just sit in your back yard plinking with a BB gun around the time they show up everyday. No threats, just ignore them and plink, it'll probally make them think twice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
put up a privacy fence. I used to cut through yards when I was a kid, but only open yards, there is no way I would climb a 6' privacy fence just for a shortcut.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Put one of these up:

[img]http://www.dpsscreenprint.com/media/products/signs/danger_minefield.jpg[/img]

or, how about this? [:D]

[img]http://www.dpsscreenprint.com/media/products/signs/achtung_minen.jpg[/img]

(edited to fix tag)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Well we are at wa...oh hell, never mind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]
How old are they?

It may help to ask yourself:
"Just what are these kids doing that's so terrible?
Are they from the neighborhood?
Are they screwing up my yard?  Breaking stuff?  Chopping down a tree?"

As a kid, people (around on our block anyway), were pretty cool about letting kids play in their back yards, climb their trees, and do all kinds of stuff.

Granted, there was a little mischief done, but no real harm.  The people who were decent to us, even when they had to tell us to stop dangerous stuff, or had had enough of us for a while, we respected them and avoided doing any damage.   What a great life.

Sure you sweat stuff like what if they do something stupid and get hurt on your property.  Or maybe they are just annoying.

But try to give them a break.  Maybe you could even try to make amends for the threat, if you can bring yourself to that.  You may be off better having them as friends if they're from around your neighborhood.

It can't be that bad there if the PD is closed down on the weekend.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#16]
The problem with letting kids play in or be on your property w/o supervision is liability. If one of the little shits happens to slip and fall on some leaves and break a leg, you bet your ass some parent is going to file a civil claim against you at the advice of some ambulance chasing attorney.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The problem with letting kids play in or be on your property w/o supervision is liability. If one of the little shits happens to slip and fall on some leaves and break a leg, you bet your ass some parent is going to file a civil claim against you at the advice of some ambulance chasing attorney.
View Quote

Well, yeah, times have changed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would've offered the boys a coke & perhaps explained that you had concerns about wearing a rut in the yard from their walking. Now you've probably gone beyond the point of no-return. My .o2
View Quote

Yep.. That's the winner. Hopefully you are not past the point of no return.

As for contacting the police? Yawn. In my punky days, your property would have become an immediate target had that happened.

speaking from experience...

...Just as long as they leave the rocking chair alone[:P]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I did the same crap as a kid. If owners yelled we got sneaky about it, looking around first. Or just ran through. And it ain't a good idea to make a bunch of kids vindictive. Kids usually don't care and don't think stuff through.

Only thing that stopped us were fences. Besides having to climb, it made noise and to some extent we resepcted the barrier for what it was.

One thing to get busted walking through your yard, quite another to get busted climbing your fence. Also fences usually indicate a dog and we didn't want any part of that.

Then I became an adult with the best "cut through" on the block. All day and night, packs of the little peckers just walking through. Divine justice. I knew better than paintballing them or threatening them, etc. I put up a chain link fence, installed motion detector spotlights and let the dog have some yard time during peak "kid hours."

They still "cut through" but it is 3 houses over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I put up a chain link fence, installed motion detector spotlights and let the dog have some yard time during peak "kid hours."
View Quote

I don't know why, but when I read "motion detector spotlights", a CIWS popped into my head.

Now, that would be a pretty good deterrent.

*shakes his head* I must be losing it...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is the humane answer my friend.
[url]http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page1073.html[/url]
And if you want to build it yourself look here.
[url]http://www.perigee.net/~jrjohns/web13.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I good less than lethal option may be a lawn sprinkler.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#23]
claymore.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Be very careful...   Put up a fence...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the replies.  As I thought about it later I was thinking I should have been a bit nicer, I don't want to be the old grouch on the block (although at 26 I'm not TOO old).  Basically there is a small area where our fence ends and the next property starts (with no fence) that they can get in and then come down a hill, the problem being the first time our 1 1/2 year old son was playing out in the yard (which is rather small) and they came down this dirt hill on rollerblades right next to him.  The next time was with bikes and left skid marks all over where we are trying to grow plants.  

So here's the deal if I see them again I'm going to be nice and say everything's cool and all, but I'm now going shopping for a nice big rose bush or something to plug up the entry hole.  It would be a bit hard to put up a fence in that spot.  Anyway I guess I got a bit mad because we did ask politely the first time, and it seems like there is no recourse against bratty kids except stand there with your thumb up your butt.

Thanks again all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Three words.

Release the Ninjas.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Three words.

Release the Ninjas.
View Quote

Or pirates.  Pirates would make a good deterrant.

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Follow them home and have a talk with their parents.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Block the hole with a nice, pointy shrub barrier. (rose bush is pretty, but a wicked shrub barrier is denser.

If that does not work, place a  park bench (feet in concrete) in that area.

Never let the kids know that they are getting on your nerves.  They will get malicious.  Kids think it is funny to egg a car, bust a window, slash a tire, spraypaint onto bricks.

They will not consider the cost of the damage.  Remember, they do not understand the concept "consequences of their actions."

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#31]
In the yard of my on base quarters, I had the block's mailbox.  Was a gathering place for teenagers, with them sitting on it and some gravitating around my cars.

They weren't making the car payments, so they didn't mind leaning on them.

Did the lawn sprinkler deal during those gathering times as mentioned before, and they went away with no repercussions at all.

As a kid I never crossed through someone else's front yard, much less backyard.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Just to clarify for everyone, this is on a city lot (small yard), the "shortcut" starts in the backyard all goes all the way to the front yard, passing within about 6 feet of the house.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
... I installed one large commercial rain bird sprinkler and set it on a timer that started 15 minutes before the school bus picked up and 15 minutes bfore the school bus dropped off. I was unable to properly adjust the sprinkler as it always seemed to hit the bench.

View Quote

what a shame about the bench...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]
How about hiring NSFJoJo to come out for a couple of days and practice his mad skillz on them punks?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#36]
A friend of mine shot a kid in his garage, as the kid was running out of the garage with a paintball gun. He spent 1 week in jail.

SSD
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Oooh and I almost forgot, friend of mine had a similar problem. All he did was scold the kids. Now his truck gets egged on a weekly basis. I would DEFINITLY ask the cops what are your options.
View Quote

You definately don't want to piss off the neighborhood kids.  Put up a no trespassing sign and talk to their parents.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You definately don't want to piss off the neighborhood kids.  Put up a no trespassing sign and talk to their parents.
View Quote

It seems pretty sad when grown adults have to worry about offending little bratty kids.  It seems like half you guys are saying I am a jerk for not wanting people walking through my yard.  Also we have planted two rose bushes in the way and if the problem still persits I'm going to ask the neighbor if I can transplant one of the large blackberry bushes over as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The last couple days some kids have been using our yard as a "shortcut".  The first time only my wife was home, and asked them to stay off our property.  Later they went back through it again, and she videotaped them and said she would call the police.  So tonight I was downstairs watching a movie and notice out the window a few kids coming through our yard.  I went out and told them to get off our yard, and next time they are here I'm dousing them with pepper spray.  I got my wife to take a look and she says it was the same ones as the first time.  The police dept. is closed (small town) so we'll probably call them monday and see what they recommend.  Any good ideas?  Would it be against the law to pepper spray trespassers?  Especially kids?  
View Quote

Your screwed, I used to be one of those kids, let them pass or your house will get fu##ed up.
Its not worth the pride, you will lose in the long run$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
GG
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Post a pic of the "entry area" that you want to block up, and maybe there will be a better idea of what can be done.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#41]
maybe you should try putting a catholic priest in your backyard. i think the kids will think twice before entering.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm with you on this one SNorman. As a kid We were taught that if it wasn't your yard, you stayed the hell out unless invited in. We had that problem on base at Ellsworth. The typical reply we got was that the yard wasn't ours, it belonged to the base, my Dad said so. My responce was that when you Dad comes over to mow and water the yard, you're welcome in. Ours was a corner lot and when we moved in, there was a path cutting through the yard. After yelling at them enough, they finally caught on. We also planted a Russian Olive tree in the path. Grows fast and has nice one inch thorns.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Two Words; Electric Fence. [shock]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top