Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 7:32:20 PM EDT
If you were Microsofts CEO, (Bill Gates) and the government said you were a monopoly  what would you do?  

Personally i think i would say, "fine yes we a monopoly."  then the government would try to split the company and then i would say, "fine microsoft is done.  were closing down everything."

i bet the government would totally freak.  the stock market would go down, jobs lost, not to mention the government uses lots of microsoft stuff.  what do you think?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I would threaten to dump my stock and close down microsoft. Of course they would probably declare you a national security interest and nationalize the company and REALLY screw it up. But, I guess that is why I am not the CEO of Microsoft.

Actually, in all seriousness, if I were Bill Gates, I would have sold and walked off long ago. There are too many pretty beaches and mountains I haven't seen yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard to say.  If I was Microsoft's CEO, I would have been satisfied and retired when I had $40 million in the bank.  He and I are obviously very different people (with different bank accounts to match).
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
IRC gates is more of a public figure head for micro$oft then a CEO

personly if i was CEO of M$ i would buy my own country and call it Gunland
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Needless to say, I have been thinking the same thing for a long time and it's a great idea.  Even a credible threat to follow through on this plan would panic .gov types like you wouldn't believe.  They would probably try to outlaw the closing of businesses without government approval.

Presuming the government doesn't try to "fix" things (dumb assumption, I know), the economic disruptions may not be as bad as you expect.  It depends on whether people decide to keep pushing ahead or if they take a look at Gates and say "He's right, I've had enough of dealing with all this stuff.  I'm getting out too."
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Move everything to Mexico and say F-YOU!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a few Senate & House seats and start repealing laws.  Heck, I'd even have a programming team develop my new invention; the Repeal-O-Matic.  It could be used alongside the Bureau Chipper(tm) by the newly formed Bureau of Dismantling Bureaus.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If Microsoft shut their doors, I would go on a month long drinking binge to celebrate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
when microsoft goes out, i am going to go on a gun shopping spree!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://db.photo.net/WealthClock[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://www.templetons.com/brad/billg.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd build gun ranges EVERYWHERE with free gun rentals and dirt cheap ammo. That's how I'd blow my money. And that park in front of the white house-I'd buy that too, and put a range there, i know "no guns in DC" i'd buy the land and pay my lawers to make it a soverin nation. Yeah, shooting for everyone...........

Edited to add: And ONLY SKS's at my ranges!!   lol, j/k
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you were Microsofts CEO, (Bill Gates) and the government said you were a monopoly  what would you do?
View Quote

Bill Gates is not the CEO of Microsoft.  That's the job of Steve Balmer.

If I ran Microsoft, the first thing I'd do is fix the stupid code.  I'd fire anyone who couldn't write stable, secure code and replace them with people who could.  Then, if the government started acting uppity (and I believe Microsoft is a monopoly that has unfairly used it's market share to boss it's partners around illegally), I'd move operations to a more friendly country, preferably somewhere in the Carribean.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I would create a FDCGH Rapid Response Team whose mission is to seek out and eliminate any FDCGH, who through their stupid non-existant business practices, would cause the tech industry any more damage.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd buy california. Tell all the commiefornian bastards to get the f out. Then I'd secede from the nation. Then I'd buy every other state and do the same thing. Thus creating a once again free country.
Scott
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:37:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I would shrug.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
The government is Bill's biggest customer. I would just raise government and institutional pricing to cover the costs of whatever they perpetrated against me. If MS is a monopoly, it's only because the government made them one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#21]
There was some discussion in the software trade that British Columbia offered a nice "package" for MSFT to move its operations to Canada.  I have no way of knowing whether or not this was apocryphal.

If I were the responsible executive, I'd carry forward with the appropriate legal avenues.  Meanwhile, the contingency plan would indeed be to move operations to a "friendly" locale, with corporate headquarters in Bermuda.

The noise level would have to be orchestrated, simply to counter the  big-government-lover propaganda, to let everyone be completely clear that the government forced the issue.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you think Gates really cares that much?  Splitting his company will probably mean MORE money for him.   He still gets to develop and sell all of his products, which will still work together the same anyway (shittily I might add), plus start a new company and reap the rewards of a new IPO, probably the largest in history by far.  All I can say is do whatever you need to to find someone let you in on that IPO.

Mike

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Personally i think i would say, "fine yes we a monopoly."  then the government would try to split the company and then i would say, "fine microsoft is done.  were closing down everything."

i bet the government would totally freak.  the stock market would go down, jobs lost, not to mention the government uses lots of microsoft stuff.  what do you think?
View Quote

This is what I have been telling people for years now... If I were the CEO, Microsoft products will only be used internally to improve the company. Screw everyone else. When you are that rich, who cares what the world thinks??? Its not like they can take your stuff from you and make you develop and sell it, can they?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Take my multi-billions and say f**k off, and buy the state of Washinton and call it my own country....

Then kick out everyone I don't like...[argue]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you think Gates really cares that much?  Splitting his company will probably mean MORE money for him.   He still gets to develop and sell all of his products, which will still work together the same anyway (shittily I might add), plus start a new company and reap the rewards of a new IPO, probably the largest in history by far.  All I can say is do whatever you need to to find someone let you in on that IPO.

Mike
View Quote

I think you're wrong.  This is for the very simple reason that if splitting up the company would make Bill even richer, he would've already done it of his own free will.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Take my multi-billions and say f**k off, and buy the state of Washinton and call it my own country....

Then kick out everyone I don't like...[argue]
View Quote

The State of Washington.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

I don't think so, because his investors and shareholders would lambast him for it.  Too much trouble and effort to do it of his own accord, however, if he is forced to do it he takes lemons and makes lemonade.  It isn't going to hurt him.  And it won't help us either.  It won't change the fact that we are all still stuck using a crappy operating system.  Unfortunately it's the lesser of the evils right now.

Mike

I think you're wrong.  This is for the very simple reason that if splitting up the company would make Bill even richer, he would've already done it of his own free will.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't think so, because his investors and shareholders would lambast him for it.  Too much trouble and effort to do it of his own accord, however, if he is forced to do it he takes lemons and makes lemonade.  It isn't going to hurt him.  And it won't help us either.  It won't change the fact that we are all still stuck using a crappy operating system.  Unfortunately it's the lesser of the evils right now.

Mike
View Quote

Thank you for the evidence supporting my position in a roundabout way.  I would say that investors are smarter than the government when it comes to the best use of their assets.  It IS going to hurt him because it will force him to divert time and effort from more worthwhile pursuits; remember, you stated that he considers it to be too much trouble and effort.

I'll modify my position slightly, you're right he may end up monetarily richer, but he's rich enough that other pursuits like raising his family are more important than another few hundred million dollars.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#29]
If I were the CEO of Microsoft, I would buy Playboy, and move the HQ down to LA and throw partys everyday.  run the company to the ground and blame it on Enron.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top