Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 3:36:58 PM EDT
Ok guys....so I am not a gunsmith but I want to play one on TV.

I have many guns most of them I can take apart to bare bits.

The only one I never totaled was my 1911.

Anyway at yesterdays IPSC match a fellow shooter gave me some FREE parts for my single stack...Sooooo

I took the little puppy apart...

No real problems ( or so I thought)....I did install the sear UPSIDEDOWN the first time ( duh!!)....

Everything went back together easier than expected.

HOWEVER!!!...

My grip safety does not work now!!  It still has spring tension but does not function.

I am going to take it apart again but I was wondering what I should look for...

I was going to post this in handgun but I am in a hurry!!

HELP!!!!  I have the IPSC Provicials in two weeks and I need practise!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It's ruined.  Send it to me so I can dispose of it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking it is the hammer strut is not in the correct position and blocking the grip safety. If this is the case, you are going to remove the mainspring housing again and realign the strut.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the grip safety move back and forth?   Or is it stuck in one position?   Which parts did you replace?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I replaced the disconnector and  the firing pin/spring.

The grip does move back and forth and is under spring tension.( forcing it outwards).

I just took it apart to check the hammer strut and it was in the same place...

So I stripped it all down again.....and back again.( actually getting good at it)....SAME PROBLEM..

I know some competitors do deactivate their grip safety on purpose and I had considered doing that....HOWEVER.   I would like to choose WHEN!! LOL!!

HELP!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Try putting all the original parts back and see if the problem still exists. If not it's one of the new parts causing your problem.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of doine that...

However it was my understanding that the grip safety simply blocked the motion of the trigger to the rear by directly touching it.  Does the disconnector have a function to play here??
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The base of the disconector does bear on the triger strap so it is posible that the disconector can affect the grip saftey. I don't know for sure if the new part is your problem but if after changing a part something else goes wrong I tend to look at the new part as the culprit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Well range as you suspected putting back the old disconnector solved the problem.....

Still not sure why it did mind you they look to be identical!

On the bright side all this playing around with this seems to have solved my original problem I was trying to fix with the disconnector in teh first place.

I was having a problem in which the last round would not fire.....until I slapped the bottom of the mag.  I loosened off adjustable trigger and I do not seem to have that problem anymore well at least with dryfiring.  I will have to see if I can get out to the range tomorrow to see if it all works now.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, that would do it, the trigger adjustment screw bears on the mag release and if you pull hard enough it will interfere with feeding is some cases. I'm glad you got it fixed.(pending a live fire test) Let me know how it works out. Glad I could help.
[thinking]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top