Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2002 8:09:51 AM EDT
[url]http://aztlan.net/aztlanvote.htm[/url]

Los Angeles, Alta California - 6/13/2002 - (ACN) The Mexican Congress has amended the Mexican federal electoral laws to allow Mexicans living in Aztlan and in other parts of the world to vote in federal elections starting in the year 2003. This has been a major issue for many years for Mexicans residing outside Mexico, mostly in the United States.

The issue reached critical proportions during the last presidential elections when tens of thousands of Mexicans who wanted to vote had to travel long distances to their respective states of original residence to cast their votes. For Mexicans residing in the U.S., hundreds of special voting booths were setup in major cities along the Mexican side of the US/Mexico border.

Under the new approved amendment, booths will actually be setup in Aztlan or in countries with a significant Mexican population. It is not clear whether Mexicans will be able to register and vote through the mail.

[red]In addition, the new amendment will allow Mexicans to send elected representatives to the Mexican lower house from their respective regions in Aztlan and from countries where significant number of Mexicans reside. The number of congressmen allotted will be according to a proportional formula. Each political party will be allowed a certain number, depending on the total number of votes received compared to the total number of votes cast. [/red]

Under the new amendment, it looks like the Partido Revolucionario Democratico (PRD) would benefit the most. Most immigrants to the United States belong to this party. It has been the PRD that has promoted the issue the most.
View Quote

Voting from outside the country doesn't seem unusual. The part in red is what bugs me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
while i can understand any concern you would have if this were happening with regards to U.S. politics, i confess i don't understand the concern for mexican politics.

on the surface (and i'm not naive enough to think that this is a pure, altruistic attempt to make sure mexicans "citizens" are given adequate and fair representation even when living abroad) it sounds like the [red]elected representatives to the Mexican lower house from their respective regions in Aztlan and from countries where significant number of Mexicans reside[/red] will be Mexicans and not citizens/subjects of whatever foreign country the Mexicans are living in.  

i guess i don't see a problem with this kind of representation.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
There's not a problem with it, except for the demographics. They now have one district that covers most of California and another one that includes 2/3 of Texas. Hmmm...

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Its a concern because like the law that they changed where a Mexican that got U.S. citizenship couldnt own land in Mexico, the law was changed so they still could.  Both this example and the one mentioned about represenitives foster a connection between the U.S. Mexican and his former homeland that I personally would not like to see.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's not a problem with it, except for the demographics. They now have one district that covers most of California and another one that includes 2/3 of Texas. Hmmm...

[:D]
View Quote

still not an issue.  mexican laws do not supercede U.S., even for mexican citizens living in the U.S.  i mean it's not like mexican laws are going to effect the way we do things here (at least they shouldn't, with GW in the office, i'm sure there's room for negotiation!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top