Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 10/31/2011 5:23:22 AM EDT
Courtesy of Sipsey, looks like there are folks on both sides of the case playing games.

Backstory - this is the one where FFL/SOT manufacturers, dealers, and insiders at ATF would slowly convert a cheap machine gun (like a MAC) into a pricer one.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2011/10/ssi-exclusive-us-vs-clark-et-al-who-is.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Poopy link.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
In on one without reading anything.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Okay, I'm in.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Was debating on whether to start another ATF scandal thread, but I really love my dog.

This one is going to get interesting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#8]
NFATCA...

huge kapo organization to me.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:45:32 AM EDT
[#9]
In for another scandal
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Read the SSI story.

THIS

COULD

GET

INTERESTING

Is it too soon to request a tack for this one, too?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#11]
in on 1
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:57:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Poopy link.

Aw crud, sorry about that.  Copy/paste fail on my part.  I'll fix it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
What the FFLs did was criminal and against the law, even if the ATF is bungling the investigation.

The FFLs would take a Mac-11 and move it between multiple dealers, each transfer slightly changing a characteristic on the form (model, barrel length, overall length, caliber) until the papers did not reflect a Mac, but something much more valuable, such as a 1919 or M60.  They would then cut out the Mac's serial number and weld it onto the 1919's receiver and sell the 1919 to an unsuspecting buyer.  

To put it another way, you can't turn your Mustang into a Ferrari by welding the Ford's VIN onto an illegally-imported Ferrari.

Rule of thumb: SWD never made M16s, M60s, 1919s, etc, and/or if the serial number starts with "86-" (and its not a Mac) tread very carefully.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#14]
FTBATFE
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What the FFLs did was criminal and against the law, even if the ATF is bungling the investigation.

The FFLs would take a Mac-11 and move it between multiple dealers, each transfer slightly changing a characteristic on the form (model, barrel length, overall length, caliber) until the papers did not reflect a Mac, but something much more valuable, such as a 1919 or M60.  They would then cut out the Mac's serial number and weld it onto the 1919's receiver and sell the 1919 to an unsuspecting buyer.  

To put it another way, you can't turn your Mustang into a Ferrari by welding the Ford's VIN onto an illegally-imported Ferrari.

Rule of thumb: SWD never made M16s, M60s, 1919s, etc, and/or if the serial number starts with "86-" (and its not a Mac) tread very carefully.

Kharn

interesting - any more info or links about who was involved?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Rule of thumb: SWD never made M16s, M60s, 1919s, etc, and/or if the serial number starts with "86-" tread very carefully.

Kharn

So what?

If I take a Mustang VIN and build a Ferrari around it, in all shapes, forms, and content and sell it or keep it, thus enriching myself while paying all applicable taxes, why should the government care? I did not increase the number of cars on the road nor did the .gov lose any revenue.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rule of thumb: SWD never made M16s, M60s, 1919s, etc, and/or if the serial number starts with "86-" tread very carefully.

Kharn

So what?

If I take a Mustang VIN and build a Ferrari around it, in all shapes, forms, and content and sell it or keep it, thus enriching myself while paying all applicable taxes, why should the government care? I did not increase the number of cars on the road nor did the .gov lose any revenue.

At some point it becomes like the Ship of Theseus.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

So what?

At some point it becomes like the Ship of Theseus.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Well then, I postulate that you are not gopeterson then. All you cells have been replaced with different ones during your life.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My example isn't perfect, but the spirit is the same. The VIN of a car can never be transferred to a different frame, the same with the serial number on a receiver.

Go buy a Mac, when the dealer fills out the Form 4 to move it to your possession, tell the dealer you want to list the model as M4, caliber as 5.56x45, the barrel length as 16" and the overall length as 40" and see what the ATF says when he submits the Form 4. Tell the dealer if/when the Form 4 comes back approved, you want him to take a semiauto M4 off the rack, drill the autosear hole, weld the Mac's serial number over the M4's serial number and let you walk out the door with it.

Do you think the ATF would notice that suddenly four characteristics of the firearm changed from a Mac to an M4? The dealers exploited the paperwork jumble that is the NFA registry to conduct their scam and enrich themselves, while removing a large number of Macs from the registry (as the original Mac was destroyed once its serial number was removed).
Quoted:

I dont know any names or links.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread is going places.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Here are the links to the affidavit and the indictment:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35434700/Machine-Gun-Raid-Affidavits-and-Returns

http://www.scribd.com/doc/70912164/Indictment

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, the indictment document on the Sipsey blog has a pretty complete list.

Here are two articles from last year:
http://www2.citypaper.com/story.asp?id=20486
http://www.kdminer.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=47386&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=798
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My example isn't perfect, but the spirit is the same. The VIN of a car can never be transferred to a different frame, the same with the serial number on a receiver.

Go buy a Mac, when the dealer fills out the Form 4 to move it to your possession, tell the dealer you want to list the model as M4, caliber as 5.56x45, the barrel length as 16" and the overall length as 40" and see what the ATF says when he submits the Form 4. Tell the dealer if/when the Form 4 comes back approved, you want him to take a semiauto M4 off the rack, drill the autosear hole, weld the Mac's serial number over the M4's serial number and let you walk out the door with it.

Do you think the ATF would notice that suddenly four characteristics of the firearm changed from a Mac to an M4? The dealers exploited the paperwork jumble that is the NFA registry to conduct their scam and enrich themselves, while removing a large number of Macs from the registry (as the original Mac was destroyed once its serial number was removed).

Quoted:

Kharn

Net machine guns remained the same. Ergo, no new machine guns were added to the registry.

ETA: Take a basket of 100 fruit. 50 Apples and 50 oranges.

Paint the apples orange and inject them with citrus flavoring.

How many fruit are in your basket?
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

So what?

The ATF has held that it's not the serial numbers that are registered with the NFR, but the actual weapons. Serial numbers are just used to track those specific firearms. Since the registry is frozen, those specific weapons already on the registry are frozen as-is.

Think of it this way. Go to walmart. Pull the RFID tracking off a pallet of shirts, throw it on a pallet of cereal. Just moving the RFID chip to the cereal doesn't change that into a pallet of shirts. It's merely tracking the wrong physical item. The shipping manager isn't tracking RFID tags, he's tracking the physical items those RFID tags represent.  Same with the ATF and serial numbers on MGs.

What these guys did was wrong. And while the ATF is a corrupt agency with an unconstitutional mandate, they occasionally get one right. These guys broke the law and (as long as the case was proceeded with legally) they should be in jail for this, regardless of the prosecuting agency.

Consumer fraud isn't exactly civil disobedience.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Net machine guns remained the same. Ergo, no new machine guns were added to the registry.  

Yeah, total number is not how the registry is regulated. Try again.

50 painted apples w/ citrus flavoring are still not 50 oranges.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

They are still fruit. Fruit is fruit.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]
oh boy...
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#29]
When the ATF is involved, always take the other side.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

They are still fruit. Fruit is fruit.

Yeah, but you're comparing apples and oranges.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds like something Sun Tsu would say.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

So what?

The ATF has held that it's not the serial numbers that are registered with the NFR, but the actual weapons. Serial numbers are just used to track those specific firearms. Since the registry is frozen, those specific weapons already on the registry are frozen as-is.

Think of it this way. Go to walmart. Pull the RFID tracking off a pallet of shirts, throw it on a pallet of cereal. Just moving the RFID chip to the cereal doesn't change that into a pallet of shirts. It's merely tracking the wrong physical item. The shipping manager isn't tracking RFID tags, he's tracking the physical items those RFID tags represent.  Same with the ATF and serial numbers on MGs.

What these guys did was wrong. And while the ATF is a corrupt agency with an unconstitutional mandate, they occasionally get one right. These guys broke the law and (as long as the case was proceeded with legally) they should be in jail for this, regardless of the prosecuting agency.

Consumer fraud isn't exactly civil disobedience.

It's not consumer fraud. If they misrepresented the guns to the buyers, maybe. But that's not what I understand to have happened. Plus, the ATF ratified what they did through approval of the forms. The ATF, as the agency tasked with approval of forms, is in the best position to determine the legality of the transfer, (according to case law) and they "signed off" on the transfers.

The problem with the ATF being the agency with the power to promulgate, adjudicate, and basically change any rules and regulations that they see fit, is that they are the ATF.  If you look uP arbitrary and capricious in the dictionary, See ATF is listed beside it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#34]
captainpooby,
The problem is if the ATF does not like what you have done to your MG, they seize it and destroy it. Those MGs are no longer available for civilian purchase, raising prices for everyone.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

captainpooby,

The problem is if the ATF dies not like what you have done to your MG, they seize it and destroy it. Those MGs are no longer available for civilian purchase, raising prices for everyone.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Look. I own an M11/9. No governmental agency should be able to tell me what I can or cannot do to it as long as no one is harmed.

If the ATF seizes and destroys my property because I modified it, harming you by increasing the price of MGs who harmed you? Me or them?

One of my plans, years ago when I decided to buy my M11, was to purchase one of those awesome MG42 uppers for. Guess what? ATF, in their vindictive, lawless manner, declared them illegal. Now who was harmed there?

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#36]
We had a local gunstore (where I've done business a few times, and they're great guys so I'll leave them unnamed in this thread) get caught up with this.  Not sure if they were complicit or just an unwitting recipient of the guns.

Either way, this is yet another example of government bureaucracy creating the problem in the first place.  If there were a way to legally add guns to the registry to assuage demand, that would be one thing.  but since supply is limited, and demand unlimited, the price will continue to rise.

And any time there is a high price on a limited commodity, say hello to counterfeit.  It happens with watches, cars, and virtually every other exclusive, expensive consumer good.  Machine guns are no different.  It just happens to be a "big, bad" federal crime.

NFA is bullshit, but it's not as much bullshit as '86.  Congress really needs to cut this shit out.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Interesting points here.    I think the practice of having a title & matching numbers on a frame neck and/or (depending if it's pre-'70) engine left side cases is used all the time to build a new motorcycle with a legal title.

The part of only using the serial number is not that far off...    I can see both sides of the issue, but I'd think it SHOULD be totally legal.

I'm still thinking about the thread that posed the question:  Is a big fixed suppressor built fixed on a range considered a suppressor....

Guess it comes down to how much lawyer money you have budgeted, like many issues.

Bob

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#39]
It's not a procedural issue so much as the people who BOUGHT the M60 w/ the MAC serial # are looking at prison time for what a dealer did, yet the dealer(s) are getting off scott free.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

However, these dealers were fucking over unknowing people by selling illegal machine guns that could be confiscated leaving the buyers out tens of thousands of dollars. If they had been pulling this scam to enhance their own collections, that's one thing. But this? Fuck 'em.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
In on 1.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm still thinking about the thread that posed the question:  Is a big fixed suppressor built fixed on a range considered a suppressor....

Like a big tube of tires that you shoot through?

Not designed to be mounted on a firearm, so it's not a suppressor, legally speaking.

Suppressors shouldn't be NFA at all, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
In I guess
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like a big tube of tires that you shoot through?

Not designed to be mounted on a firearm, so it's not a suppressor, legally speaking.

Suppressors shouldn't be NFA at all, though.

Suppressors aren't defined as weapon mounted, only any device that lowers the sound, check out the thread it's pretty sad/funny.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck the NFA.  Fuck the MG ban.  Fuck the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#46]
How many MAC serial numbers where affected?  (How many guns?)
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#47]
In
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Not the first (or second) time this has happened at the ATF.

IOW...........In
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, these dealers were fucking over unknowing people by selling illegal machine guns that could be confiscated leaving the buyers out tens of thousands of dollars. If they had been pulling this scam to enhance their own collections, that's one thing. But this? Fuck 'em.

I'll stick with fuck the ATF. The same people who sell weapons to Mexican drug cartels are going to get bent out of shape over some cosmetic differences to MGs? Fuck them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good call
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top