Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2011 5:47:14 AM EDT
UPDATE: The ATF-compliant version, practically complete, fully-functional and with better features: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1252871

If you're using the firearms.odb database from this thread, backup your data using these instructions before trying out the newer database. Instead of the GUN table, though, open the Table1 table.

I don't think I'll be making any more changes to this firearms.odb database.

Old stuff shrunken into a spoiler:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
name of boat that sank:

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
name of boat that sank:

BOAT_NAME
SUNK_DATE

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I built an Access database for the same purpose, and it looks like you've got your bases covered.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Didn't someone on here already do this.  I am pretty sure he developed an inventory system that would work with FFL requirements, but does basically the same thing you have listed.  Maybe do a forum search.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Didn't someone on here already do this.  I am pretty sure he developed an inventory system that would work with FFL requirements, but does basically the same thing you have listed.  Maybe do a forum search.

The free version of that is limited to 10 firearms.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wolfrage was working on it. It's not free anymore however. My Gun DB

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1205247_MyGunDB_firearm_inventory_system_is_now_out_of_Beta_.html
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread is very relevant  to my interdasting. .  

I was half-assedly working on a Bento-based  template for my armory  collection, but i got  distracted.  Bento is a Mac platform Filemaker based db program designed for morans such as myself.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
name of boat that sank:

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one I was working on but lost it the last computer crash.  I have a backup some where but I haven't bothered to mess with it yet.  I need to get on the stick and get going with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Update in OP.

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Taggage
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#14]
not a bad Idea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I used a Spread Sheet but Jack Daniels was driving the Boat that Day so I am NOT exactly sure which lake or river I was on.

Impeach Obama for the Good of the Water Ways.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Standardize a caliber list and make it a drop down menu instead of a regular text entry field. This will help avoid inconsistencies in how it gets input, helping to make queries on caliber more accurate.  This would be especially nice with larger collections when you want to see how many of one particular caliber are in the collection.

Example: .308 Win vs. 308 WIN, 12 Gauge vs. 12 GA, 9mm vs, 9 MM

You can see where I'm going.

Good luck with your creation!
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump for inline edits to the OP.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point. Could be useful.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Standardize a caliber list and make it a drop down menu instead of a regular text entry field. This will help avoid inconsistencies in how it gets input, helping to make queries on caliber more accurate.  This would be especially nice with larger collections when you want to see how many of one particular caliber are in the collection.

Yes, I thought about that, and will probably do that if there's a mostly comprehensive caliber list already available.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I thought about that, and will probably do that if there's a mostly comprehensive caliber list already available.

There are lists, it just depends on how long and inclusive you want them to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rifle_cartridges

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have a smartphone, there are several apps that already do this for free.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#22]
C&R yes/no field so you can easily filter to print a report.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

True,  but do you trust the security of a smart phone?        

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

True,  but do you trust the security of a smart phone?        

Provided you password protect your phone and program, its about as secure as having your list on a laptop. At least if there is a break in or fire when you're gone, you'll probably have your phone on you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I downloaded your file and started using it.  First thing I found was that there is no place to enter accessories.  Most of my rifles have scopes that are worth as much as the rifle in addition to special triggers and other items.

There is plenty of room for editing so I'll let you know what I come up with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
C&R yes/no field so you can easily filter to print a report.

Good point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool !!
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump for update.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Bump for the daytime and weekday crew.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bummer.  I quit following that thread too soon I guess.  Looks like you are making good progress though.

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
name of boat that sank:

BOAT_NAME
SUNK_DATE

Arfcom Deep Sea Fishing Trip NO. ______
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#32]
List of calibers, actions, firearm types: Google Spreadsheet (no sign-in required)

Here are some standards/conventions for the list:

1 - Group by American/English/SAE/whatever, then by metric (e.g., .22 LR, .22 WMR, .38 Special, .45 ACP  then 9x19 mm Parabellum, 10 mm Auto, etc.)

2 - Generally, if there is just one word modifying the caliber, spell that word out (e.g., "Parabellum"). If there are two words that you just never see abbreviated to initials, then spell them out.

3 - Put a space between the number and "mm" (e.g., "10 mm").

4 - Actually, always put a space after the measurements (e.g., .22 LR, 9x19 mm).

I'm doing it this way instead of taking it straight off of Wikipedia because I honestly don't care about 2.7 mm Kolibri unless someone who might use this database actually wants that as an available entry. Maybe someday way way way down the road I or someone else will make the list more betterer.

Also in the Google Spreadsheet are columns for "Action" and "Firearm Type."
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
So I down loaded open office, down loaded the zip that is at the very top of your first post, and I can input the first firearm, it goes to the 2nd, put in that info, and it says that there is an error, it can't be saved. I have no idea what its getting hung up on. Its still saying "read only", but not sure why that is, or if it matters. It looks like it could be very useful, but not sure if I'm using it right.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Good to see i'm not the only one working on a database system ;)

Suggestion though?  Check out the ATF ruling to see what requirements you'd need to meet if you want to make it ATF compliant as a digital bound book.  If you need a link, let me know. If you don't care about that, then no worries heh

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:29:44 AM EDT
[#35]
It needs a general comments or "Notes" field in addition to the existing fields.

There's often something I want to record in addition to the standardized info.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Guns....I gave them all away......
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

9x18, 9x19.    
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I down loaded open office, down loaded the zip that is at the very top of your first post, and I can input the first firearm, it goes to the 2nd, put in that info, and it says that there is an error, it can't be saved. I have no idea what its getting hung up on. Its still saying "read only", but not sure why that is, or if it matters. It looks like it could be very useful, but not sure if I'm using it right.

Hmmm, I'm not sure why that is, either. What's the error message say?

Anyone else getting it as "read only?"
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good to see i'm not the only one working on a database system ;)

Suggestion though?  Check out the ATF ruling to see what requirements you'd need to meet if you want to make it ATF compliant as a digital bound book.  If you need a link, let me know. If you don't care about that, then no worries heh

This is not meant to compete with your market, since I'm doing this for people like me who are too cheap to shell out the 20 bucks that could recoup thousands from insurance after that tragic boating accident.

If you have a link to the requirements from the ATF, I'd be happy to see it! As for implementing the requirements... Maybe when/if I get my C&R. Eh, better to not need, and have, than to need and not have, right?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It needs a general comments or "Notes" field in addition to the existing fields.

There's often something I want to record in addition to the standardized info.

Beat you to it.

Added that feature last night, but can't recall if I uploaded it in the zip archive. I know I did not take a screen shot of it, though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is not meant to compete with your market, since I'm doing this for people like me who are too cheap to shell out the 20 bucks that could recoup thousands from insurance after that tragic boating accident.

Heh  Even if it were to compete, I'm all for it –– I'm the first to admit that not every system is perfect for everyone. Choices are great! :D

If you have a link to the requirements from the ATF, I'd be happy to see it! As for implementing the requirements... Maybe when/if I get my C&R. Eh, better to not need, and have, than to need and not have, right?

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2008-2.pdf

BUT GET YOUR DARNC&R!  RIGHT NOW!  heh  not only can you get inexpensive, neat firearms sent directly to your house without transfer fees, but most online shops will give you dealer discounts –– a week after I got my C&R I bought my dad a new scope from Midway and saved $60 –– twice the cost of my license. It's sooo worth it! :D

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Update: firearms-0.1.4.zip

Nearly feature-complete for current purposes. I've added some tables (not visible in the "form") for optics, holsters, and lights. Feel free to add ideas for other accessories!

The form now prints on Letter-sized paper, instead of Legal.

I've also created a simple query and accompanying report, so you can print a basic list of your collection:

If you want to help, probably the most important thing to do is to suggest data categories (e.g., ATF_REQUIRED_DATA, Table1, OPTIC_table, etc.) and data fields within each category (e.g., for ATF_REQUIRED_DATA: make, model, type, serial number, etc.)!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#45]
bump
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh  Even if it were to compete, I'm all for it –– I'm the first to admit that not every system is perfect for everyone. Choices are great! :D

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2008-2.pdf

BUT GET YOUR DARNC&R!  RIGHT NOW!  heh  not only can you get inexpensive, neat firearms sent directly to your house without transfer fees, but most online shops will give you dealer discounts –– a week after I got my C&R I bought my dad a new scope from Midway and saved $60 –– twice the cost of my license. It's sooo worth it! :D

Thanks for the link!

Looks like it will be a long, long while (if ever) before this db will be ready for that crap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Update to 0.1.6 in OP.

Please leave your comments and suggestions. This database will remain free and will be posted here in perpetuity.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Update: firearms-0.1.8.zip

Cleaned it up some, added another couple drop-down menus.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#49]
If you are having trouble inputting data and getting read only errors, make sure you actually extract the DB from the zip file.  If you open it inside the zip file you won't be able to use it properly.

ETA:  Thanks TC2 - the DB looks great.  I am going to use it later today and see what I come up with.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#50]
tag- relevant to my interests.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top