Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2002 12:48:21 AM EDT
That would make me 82 years old. Thats stretch'in it a bit. My old man died at 80. Born 1919, grew up during the gangsters, depression [chicago] WWII. Then came the 50's. I was born. So, we shared the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Course, I dont remember too much of the 50's and he didn't remember too much of the 90's. So now I'm getting into the autumn of my years, what will I expect to see. Peace in the Middle East, anti gravity machines, death and destruction, man on mars, verbal commands for computers - no more keyboards, cure for cancer, WWIII, pills that darken your vision - no more sun glasses, pills that correct your vision, the rapture?

What do you all think you will see in your lifetime and how much longer do ya think you got left?  
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 3:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]
For Christ's sake, would you hurry up and die already? [:)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
They already have verbal command controled computers,see you've seen something new already.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't expect keyboards to disappear any time soon.  Too much cussing at computers.  Don't need that put on a computer.  Also doctor's don't know everything.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
ONE DAY AT A TIME!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
rainman, I"m your age...born in 1951..quit worrying about it because...THERES NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT EXCEPT LIVE EACH DAY TO ITS FULLEST!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like somebody is having a midlife crisis. Corvette dealers are hopping with excitement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm not too worried about the future as long as I have a good rifle and lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you all think you will see in your lifetime and how much longer do ya think you got left?  
View Quote

Well, my father is about to turn 80, my mom's only a couple years younger and her mom died at 89, so I think I probably have about 50 years left...maybe more, because one of the things I expect to see in those 50 years is better life-extension technology.
I also expect to see evidence of the first extraterrestrial life discovered, possibly on Mars or maybe Europa.
I expect to see a Theory of Everthing discovered that will unify quantum theory and relativity.
I expect to see gasoline replaced by some other technology, possibly hydrogen fuel cells.
I expect to see quantum computers and possibly the first artificial intelligence.
I expect to see the first cloned organs suitable for transplant and the first fully-functional bionic limb and eye replacements.

As far as politics, I expect to see the rise of a new superpower rival to the US, possibly from South America or east Asia.
I expect to see nuclear weapons used in a limited conflict somewhere in the middle east.

Things I don't expect to see happen in my lifetime:
practical nuclear fusion power plants
a cure for cancer
a cure for AIDS
practical nanotechnology
faster than light travel
an end to violence in the Middle East
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what will I expect to see(?) Peace in the Middle East, anti gravity machines, death and destruction, man on mars, verbal commands for computers - no more keyboards, cure for cancer, WWIII, pills that darken your vision - no more sun glasses, pills that correct your vision, the rapture?
View Quote

I seem to remember that they promised all thos things before, to be available and a common sight to everybody in the days of the shiny and bright and faraway future of ... 1985.

PS: My Zeiss glasses darken themselves when bright sunlight hits them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad went at 46, so I'm guessing I've got 20 years left. I expect to see more of the same in the next 20 years. Maybe my rifles will be made illegal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top